Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone checked out the classic matches at the USO site. It's under the Audio/Video section...Sampras/Agassi 2002 is one of 'em...Just watching that match makes me think the standard of the game overrall have actually fallen in the last 5 years...

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
In_Disguise said:
Has anyone checked out the classic matches at the USO site. It's under the Audio/Video section...Sampras/Agassi 2002 is one of 'em...Just watching that match makes me think the standard of the game overrall have actually fallen in the last 5 years...
that was possibly the highest standard match ever. you cant compare the game 5 years ago to the game today based on that match!

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
federer express said:
that was possibly the highest standard match ever. you cant compare the game 5 years ago to the game today based on that match!
Agreed. Phenomenal match :bowdown: to both players

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah but look at the great players in the 90s compared with those today: Becker, Edberg, Courier, Sampras, Agassi, Rafter, Guga...how many truly great players are there today in comparison. Take out Federer, the standard overral has dipped IMO

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
In_Disguise said:
yeah but look at the great players in the 90s compared with those today: Becker, Edberg, Courier, Sampras, Agassi, Rafter, Guga...how many truly great players are there today in comparison. Take out Federer, the standard overral has dipped IMO
Ivo Karlovic wasn't around in the 90s :p

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
In_Disguise said:
things always seem better when you look back on them. but you may have a point. the top 10 at the moment doesn't fill me with excitement.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
:worship: :worship: :worship: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Pistol Pete :worship: :bowdown:

:worship: :bowdown: Agassi :worship: :worship: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
US Open 2000 (the 5 years ago you are talking about)

QF: Hewitt d. Clement
QF: T.Martin d. T.Johansson
QF: Safin d. Kiefer
QF: Sampras d. Krajicek

exchange federer for sampras. safin pulled out injured this year so wont be there. i'm not convinced it was any stronger then than it is now actually...

what the 90s had was one of the best ever rivalries in the sport. we haven't had one like that (sampras/agassi) yet this decade and we may not because the contrast of styles made their matches even better to watch. but nadal-federer gives us hope...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, here's a typical example of the top 10 in the 90s:

1. Sampras
2. Agassi
3. Becker
4. Courier
5. Edberg
6. Ivanesevic
7. Chang
8. Rafter
9. Kafelniknov
10 Krajicek

Certainly 10 champions and the majority of those are hall of famers...Nowadays, you have the likes of Davydenko and Puerta in the top 10... :(

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
In_Disguise said:
ok, here's a typical example of the top 10 in the 90s:

1. Sampras
2. Agassi
3. Becker
4. Courier
5. Edberg
6. Ivanesevic
7. Chang
8. Rafter
9. Kafelniknov
10 Krajicek

Certainly 10 champions and the majority of those are hall of famers...Nowadays, you have the likes of Davydenko and Puerta in the top 10... :(
when was that the top 10? :scratch:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
federer express said:
when was that the top 10? :scratch:
Mmmm...it wasn't, not in that order, but all of those were pretty much in the top 10 throughout the 90s...the point is that, generally the top players 10 years ago are probably superior to those today

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
In_Disguise said:
Mmmm...it wasn't, not in that order, but all of those were pretty much in the top 10 throughout the 90s...the point is that, generally the top players 10 years ago are probably superior to those today
the names certainly are. but i doubt the standard of play would be...

(plus i dont think the top 10 ever looked like that ;) )

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
and since 2000 we have had....

sampras
agassi
kuerten
federer
roddick
hewitt
safin
rafter
kafelnikov
henman
corretja
ferrero
coria
gaudio

and many others in the top 10

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
federer express said:
and since 2000 we have had....

sampras
agassi
kuerten
federer
roddick
hewitt
safin
rafter
kafelnikov
henman
corretja
ferrero
coria
gaudio

and many others in the top 10
good point...

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
I checked out the lis of classic matches, Roddick vs JCF 2003 final was a classic :tape: :scratch:

Anyway what player are you guys using to watch the matches, I cant seem to open them :shrug:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts