Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
And what happens if there's a spike in Paris during the tournament. Do the players get trapped there for a few months?
I've said my piece on this already, and if people can't face that reality then they're delusional, stupid, or immature.

However, I just wanted to mention in relation to the quoted point that many people may not realise that the chess world championship candidates tournament began in Russia in March, while many countries had begun lockdown. They had to stop it halfway through as otherwise every player would have been trapped in Russia for several months. All the way through the event, players were vocally critical of the decision to hold the tournament in the first place.

A player who had qualified, Teimour Radjabov, was highly critical of the decision to go ahead with the tournament before it began, and withdrew, stating that the conditions weren't safe. Then he was completely vindicated when they had to stop the tournament. Now many people think he should be reinstated. But they've played half of the games. After Radjabov withdrew, another payer was then offered the chance to compete, and had to make the difficult decision of whether to do so or not, realising that he literally might never get the opportunity to play for the world title ever again.

These are the kind of problems that a small chess event with eight competitors faced. But don't worry, I'm sure there can be some mass police state operation involving thousands of people, just to ensure that Nadal gets a chance to win his 20th Grand Slam, even though he'll get the chance to do that again next year anyway.

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
I'm sorry to say that there will be no more slams played this year. :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Ball boys? Parents drop off ball kids at RG testing centers 2 weeks prior to the event and kids will stay in RG designated area at all times; no parents are allowed during that time period. It's like how Rafa academy operates; heck even Rafa himself is not allowed in the academy since all the kids are quarantined at the academy for the time being. Whoever leaves academy is not permitted to reenter.
So kids are separated from their parents for 4-5 weeks to live in an adult environment with a bunch of strangers? Who comforts them when they're lonely? Who looks after them when they're sick? Who does their homework with them and ensures that they eat their dinner?

Now, I know there are a lot of irresponsible parents in the world, but this takes the biscuit. What possible motivation would families have?

I suppose you're going to come back and say they could hire nannies, but that would involve a big hiring and vetting operation. But outsource that, you say? Well OK, now for extra costs over a regular year, we have: food and board for (30? 40?) ballkids and (4? 7?) nannies for over a month, along with the fees paid to the nanny agency.

And that's to say nothing of obvious concerns about abuse.

The fact that you treat children as if they were soldiers drafted for war shows how fantastical this all is.

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
thats nice and all but by the time these events are due the 2nd wave will probably have come around so they wont be able to be held anyway. its kind of like how i read the the MLB is optimistic about starting a season in july. there's likely no point because how far are you really going to get befor having to stop again

the only tennis that will be played his year are these small exhibitions within countries

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
You wish.
Sadly for you there will be a bunch of tennis played this year....
What difference would it make to me if there was tennis?

Like any other year, I could decide to watch it, or not. 😂

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
So kids are separated from their parents for 4-5 weeks to live in an adult environment with a bunch of strangers? Who comforts them when they're lonely? Who looks after them when they're sick? Who does their homework with them and ensures that they eat their dinner?

Now, I know there are a lot of irresponsible parents in the world, but this takes the biscuit. What possible motivation would families have?

I suppose you're going to come back and say they could hire nannies, but that would involve a big hiring and vetting operation. But outsource that, you say? Well OK, now for extra costs over a regular year, we have: food and board for (30? 40?) ballkids and (4? 7?) nannies for over a month, along with the fees paid to the nanny agency.

The fact that you treat children as if they were soldiers drafted for war shows how fantastical this all is.
Amazing how you twist things around. There's no comparison between ball kids and soldiers, period. Soldiers risk their lives for war, ball kids at the most won't see their parents for a few weeks, but will be properly fed and treated. And they get to watch live tennis up close. Please think before making this kind of comparison.

Show me the link that shows nannies are required for ball kids. These kids are pretty damn old, maybe 14 or something. I don't know about your culture but nannies are for toddlers and maybe up to age 10. I was able to do things independently in middle school, including cooking for myself and doing laundry. Kids will follow set schedules, all sleep at the same time in the dorm, wake up and eat breakfast at the same time, and go to their respective matches, etc, then go to their dorms. And they have ipads, laptops, and video games these days to kill time. I would be quite shocked to learn a 15 year old kid needs a nanny.

Kids separated from parents for 4 weeks is a huge deal? They have facetime to see their parents everyday, and they get to enjoy watching tennis and their idols up close. Parents will miss kids for sure, but at least they know their kids are well treated and properly fed.

Who comforts them when they are lonely? There are thousands of kids apply for two hundred something ball kids positions every year, and I'm sure RG will make it clear parents are not allowed this year. You let kids make decisions, and if you think you will feel lonely, don't fucking apply for the job, let someone else do it. I never felt lonely when I'm by myself for weeks, if not longer, and I'm sure there are other people like me as well. In fact I felt great having my own time and space after busy work since I was a kid. I don't know what you talking about with "abusing" and stuff.

Just admit it, you don't want Rafa to win RG for No.20. I said it before I want Wimby to be held knowing Rafa has slim chance simply because I want to watch tennis at grand slam stage.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Travel restrictions will be removed between Switzerland, Germany, Austria and France by 15 June. Quite likely also for Italy and Spain for the summer vacation. So, for example, I guess virtually all players that usually attend the Gstaad Open (18 to 26 July) could probably travel there. But large events with more than 1000 people are still not allowed until at least end of August. I don't know whether the organizers still consider running the tournament under such conditions, but it has not yet been officially cancelled, as far as I know.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Is there are rule that ball kids must be 10 years old or less? They can have ball kids which are teenagers, as they are in this age normally anyway, or have adults as they have it in US Open. They are much bigger problems than ball kids.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I've given my thoughts on the Open over on TF, but I'll say this:

I've encouraged the USTA to cancel the event altogether.

TV will play a big part in this.

The city is NOT ready to stage a big event like this yet.

More to come.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
With this thread nothing really, but that photo brought back fond memories of that Miami match when the iguana invaded the court!!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Sports are essential human activities, since like caveman age.
I am glad the Newsom's and the Cuomo's finally all come to realize this.

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Well everything is about Politics not about Health.....

Even i was one of the more pessimistic about Tennis in 2020, I now think they can allow people and large audience in stadiums in September

When watching France Television 2 "8 p.m. News" yesterday (which is known to be the one bringing the more anxiety, even I can fear the virus at the end even if I am neither that old nor fat or with bad heart), knowing FT2 is a public one, mostly displaying things fitting with what governement says.

I was surprised to hear three asserts they would not have said previously. It happened in a special Q and A part of the news.

1) Air France (Planes) and SNCF (Trains) which were given 7 billions and 5 billions not to collapse, were saying they keep on loosing money if they have to block 1 seat out of 2 in planes and high speed trains.
Official answer was (from the referent doctor of Figaro which is a conservative newspaper), if everybody wear a mask, considering air is renewed every 6 minuts and efficiently filtrated, there is no reason to block seats anymore.

2) someone said he is worrying not about shopping in supermarkets but about queuing before being allowed to enter with lots of other people separated with 1 meter distance.
Official answer was : stop worrying that much OUTSIDE virus is evaporating very fast in the air.

So far I did not hear neither any Official saying those asserts were wrong (I am not in front of TV 24/24 just maybe 1/24) nor newspapers booing this doctor....

So it may softly become French official position, and crowds can be allowed in Roland Garros.

That said it is just one of the problem, as we do not for exemple if French Governement will allow people from South America for exemple to enter our borders without a quarantine.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts