Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
50% revenues with 100% tennis (RG) is much much better than 100% revenues with 0% tennis (W)

Needless to explain who're the greedy bastards and who really care about tennis.
Oh, I think the greedy bastards are the ones who would sacrifice the health of players, ballkids, umpires and their families for 50% of revenues.

That much is very clear.

And not just greedy, by the way, but positively evil.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Oh, I think the greedy bastards are the ones who would sacrifice the health of players, ballkids, umpires and their families for 50% of revenues.

That much is very clear.

No one "sacrifices" anyone else's health more than, say, you sacrifice all employees' health everytime you go to your supermarket. And that for a six-pack and some precooked burgers, mind you.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
No one "sacrifices" anyone else's health more than, say, you sacrifice all employees' health everytime you go to your supermarket. And that for a six-pack and some precooked burgers, mind you.
That's a dumb comparison.

People need food. If I was to avail of online deliveries, then I would be taking those slots away from the elderly and the vulnerable. So I do my shopping.

International sporting events are not as essential as food, sorry.

This disease isn't going to go away because we lift restrictions. There will be other waves.

You saw what it did to Spain, as did Rafa. It was pretty horrific.

France suffered awfully too.

The fact that RG is willing to host an international sporting event in a crowded city like Paris is frankly evil.

I mean, people will stop them ultimately. This thing won't go ahead.

But it's just interesting in terms of seeing how low they will go.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
That's a dumb comparison.

People need food. If I was to avail of online deliveries, then I would be taking those slots away from the elderly and the vulnerable. So I do my shopping.

International sporting events are not as essential as food, sorry.

This disease isn't going to go away because we lift restrictions. There will be other waves.

You saw what it did to Spain, as did Rafa. It was pretty horrific.

France suffered awfully too.

The fact that RG is willing to host an international sporting event in a crowded city like Paris is frankly evil.

I mean, people will stop them ultimately. This thing won't go ahead.

But it's just interesting in terms of seeing how low they will go.
Bullshit. Thousands of households' food intake, housing and education depend on RG. People lives depend on their jobs, lifting restrictions is a matter of life or death, so they must be lifted in a organized manner. Holding a crowdless tennis event isn't more dangerous than your everyday get-together in the park at the allocated by the goverment hour to exercise.

Saying "the fact that RG is willing to host an international sporting event in a crowded city like Paris is frankly evil" is your usual dumb anti-RG bile, a by-product of your FedCult inmersion. Now that's evil!

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
[...] Roland Garros has a reputation for being tennis lovers, whereas Wimbledon is more of a business. [...]
"Sure". Plain and simple, with a lot of € on the line, RG's hand was forced. Reaction to their kneejerk move: "Now is not a time to act unilaterally, but in unison. All decisions related to the impact of the coronavirus require appropriate consultation and review with the stakeholders in the game, a view that is shared by ATP, WTA, ITF, AELTC, Tennis Australia, and USTA."

Whether they will or will not be able to hold the event is out of their hands.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Bullshit. Thousands of households' food intake, housing and education depend on RG. People lives depend on their jobs, lifting restrictions is a matter of life or death, so they must be lifted in a organized manner. Holding a crowdless tennis event isn't more dangerous than your everyday get-together in the park at the allocated by the goverment hour to exercise.
I'm not sure I've ever seen so much naked sophistry gathered together in one place.

RG isn't some huge industry and the people who work for it full-time are entitled in any case to welfare to tide them over until restrictions can be safely lifted.

As for the risk being equal between allowing citizens to exercise in the park, and allowing one organisation to host an international sporting event, that does not bear a moment's scrutiny. You don't think that flying players in from all corners of the globe during a pandemic does not constitute a special kind of risk.

It's nice of you, in any case, to put the elderly and sick of Paris at serious risk of an early death, just so you can prioritise RG 2020.

Now excuse me while I puke into a big bucket.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I'm not sure I've ever seen so much naked sophistry gathered together in one place.

RG isn't some huge industry and the people who work for it full-time are entitled in any case to welfare to tide them over until restrictions can be safely lifted.

As for the risk being equal between allowing citizens to exercise in the park, and allowing one organisation to host an international sporting event, that does not bear a moment's scrutiny. You don't think that flying players in from all corners of the globe during a pandemic does not constitute a special kind of risk.

It's nice of you, in any case, to put the elderly and sick of Paris at serious risk of an early death, just so you can prioritise RG 2020.

Now excuse me while I puke into a big bucket.
Im possitive I've never seen so much naked sophistry gathered together in one place.

RG is huge in economic terms, it probably makes for more than all sport events held in Ireland during one year put together. Lots of livehoods in it. Your nonchalant dismissing of them all as perfectly expendable must be another FedCult-caused evil side effect.

LoL of course no one minute scrutiny. How dare you compare a highly controlled event with all the necessary measures and tests with those spontaneous uncontrolled gatherings of random people? This isn't sophistry, this is mean, plain dumb bullshit.

I rather use the bucket to vomit over W hideous money-grabbing in full disregard for everything besides oh-so-precious insurance money. No wonder Mirka and her husband love W so much.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
RG deserves to host 2 slams based on how fucking chick the wooden chairs look like. Fuck the roof, sell it to Laver Cup and buy more wood to install.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Im possitive I've never seen so much naked sophistry gathered together in one place.

RG is huge in economic terms, it probably makes for more than all sport events held in Ireland during one year put together. Lots of livehoods in it. Your nonchalant dismissing of them all as perfectly expendable must be another FedCult-caused evil side effect.

LoL of course no one minute scrutiny. How dare you compare a highly controlled event with all the necessary measures and tests with those spontaneous uncontrolled gatherings of random people? This isn't sophistry, this is mean, plain dumb bullshit.

I rather use the bucket to vomit over W hideous money-grabbing in full disregard for everything besides oh-so-precious insurance money. No wonder Mirka and her husband love W so much.
1) Although imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you shouldn't lean too heavily on my phrase-making. Do your own work.

2) In terms of attendance, RG isn't even as big as a county-level hurling tournament or a horse-racing weekend in some bog you've never heard of.

3) I notice that you continue to compare the necessary, bare minimum of exercise allowed to ordinary citizens with the hosting of an international sporting event. That's pretty immoral of you.

4) I'm not suggesting that the livelihoods of people are expendable, merely that the very seasonal incomes attendant upon Roland-Garros can be sacrificed for one tournament in order to protect the elderly and seriously ill of Paris from a deadly disease.

5) Wimbledon will lose money in the long run, as its premiums will rise. That's how insurance works. The attempt by you and others to paint Wimbledon as greedy for cancelling this year and increasing its premiums for many years, while somehow painting RG as selfless for putting its own financial interest ahead of the health of the citizens of Paris, is the very definition of sophistry.

6) It's pretty clear where you stand on this. It doesn't matter how many French people die, you're happy to sacrifice them all just so you get a premature RG.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I don't think it will matter how many people sign a petition, Wimbledon sent a message, and that message is GREED won. They refuse to host tennis unless they can make maximum profits.

Roland Garros has a reputation for being tennis lovers, whereas Wimbledon is more of a business.
Thank God the world has Roland Garros to save tennis!

More interestingly Rafa can win a 5th US Open this year, tying Federer-Sampras-Connors, and then go to Australia looking for the Double Career Grand Slam!
Ahhhh yes, so sweet to see you getting your hopes up again. Dont hold back, man.

I cant wait to see your hopes getting crushed like a bug as soon as they realise they cant hold large events with players around the world during a pandemic. My jar is ready for your tears. Muahahahaha

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
1) Although imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you shouldn't lean too heavily on my phrase-making. Do your own work.
I do as I please, sorry. Enjoy the 'flattery', it doesn't come often these days.

2) In terms of attendance, RG isn't even as big as a county-level hurling tournament or a horse-racing weekend in some bog you've never heard of.
I am not much acquainted with rural entertainment but the proto-data you supply is entirely irrelevant. I unfortunately do not have the time to explain you in detail the difference between attendance and revenue or, further, economic impact but I hope you can manage to google it.

3) I notice that you continue to compare the necessary, bare minimum of exercise allowed to ordinary citizens with the hosting of an international sporting event. That's pretty immoral of you.
LoL "immoral". You may have had a catholic school overdose, grow up. But even by such standards the accusation is thick coming from someone who has spent the last two months -while the world suffered and thousands died- waging an absurd, deluded 'war' on a socially-responsible, ethic, deeply humane in a holistic sense event while attempting to pull a knight in shinning armour to a money-grabbing, monstruously selfish and socially irresponsible other. One has to love your fundamental incongruence.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

That much is very clear.

If RG tests all players, ballkids, umpires and staff 1 week or 2 weeks prior to the event, and they all test negative, then all of them are quarantined in the same place for the duration of 2 week event, and practice social distancing with masks on (except maybe during the matches and practices only players are allowed to take off the masks) and hand hygiene, that's much safer practice than how things are practiced in majority of the world.

Obviously traveling is a big issue, but once again people will be required to wear masks on the airplanes, and airports nowadays are so damn empty. Upon arriving in Paris, players will be required to go straight to RG testing center, get tested and quarantined till the result comes back. If positive, sorry you are stripped of participation. If negative, great, stay in designated hotel and practice courts during the entire event. Going out at night you will be disqualified.

It can be done, lots of logistic work, but it's doable, and RG and USO will show how things will be done. AO will follow the footstep next year, and Wimbledon will learn as well next year.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Roger last chance at winning Wimbledon was last year, and he couldn't close out 40-15. He'll never be that close again, so FedFans stop crying about Wimby being cancelled. It doesn't matter in the slam race, other than to hurt Novak from having a chance to get another one closer to Roger.

So really, any slam that is cancelled benefits Roger, because the other guys still have chances to win them. Roger doesn't.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If RG tests all players, ballkids, umpires and staff 1 week or 2 weeks prior to the event, and they all test negative, then all of them are quarantined in the same place for the duration of 2 week event, and practice social distancing with masks on (except maybe during the matches and practices only players are allowed to take off the masks) and hand hygiene, that's much safer practice than how things are practiced in majority of the world.

Obviously traveling is a big issue, but once again people will be required to wear masks on the airplanes, and airports nowadays are so damn empty. Upon arriving in Paris, players will be required to go straight to RG testing center, get tested and quarantined till the result comes back. If positive, sorry you are stripped of participation. If negative, great, stay in designated hotel and practice courts during the entire event. Going out at night you will be disqualified.

It can be done, lots of logistic work, but it's doable, and RG and USO will show how things will be done. AO will follow the footstep next year, and Wimbledon will learn as well next year.
You're not even scratching the surface of what would be needed. What about the hotel staff? What about the surveillance operation to ensure players don't go to bars or nightclubs? What about the incubation period. In fact, players would need to be tested multiple times.

And even under your scenario, it would require ballkids to be quarantined with staff and players for 4 weeks. What about their parents? Presumably they would need to be quarantined too. So the parents couldn't go to work.

All in all, such an operation would require an incredible amount of resources and an unrealistic amount of discipline from far too many people.

And what happens if there's a spike in Paris during the tournament. Do the players get trapped there for a few months?

The complications proliferate. Such an event is too big, too international and takes too long.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
You're not even scratching the surface of what would be needed. What about the hotel staff? What about the surveillance operation to ensure players don't go to bars or nightclubs? What about the incubation period. In fact, players would need to be tested multiple times.

And even under your scenario, it would require ballkids to be quarantined with staff and players for 4 weeks. What about their parents? Presumably they would need to be quarantined too. So the parents couldn't go to work.

All in all, such an operation would require an incredible amount of resources and an unrealistic amount of discipline from far too many people.

And what happens if there's a spike in Paris during the tournament. Do the players get trapped there for a few months?

The complications proliferate. Such an event is too big, too international and takes too long.
You don't need to be tested multiple times, in fact, two consecutive negative results would be enough, and it takes about 24 hours for result to come out. I work in the healthcare field so I know. All hotel staff will be required to wear masks and gloves, that should be given not just in Paris but all over the world. Players, actually all of us included, need to assume anyone you might come across on the street is a potential carrier, so always keep minimum 6 feet from each other. Players and all RG staff will be required to wear masks at all times. As for as surveillance goes, staff members will be checking at the front door to ensure no player goes outside at night.

Ball boys? Parents drop off ball kids at RG testing centers 2 weeks prior to the event and kids will stay in RG designated area at all times; no parents are allowed during that time period. It's like how Rafa academy operates; heck even Rafa himself is not allowed in the academy since all the kids are quarantined at the academy for the time being. Whoever leaves academy is not permitted to reenter.

As for your last point, yes, a spike is possible not just in Paris but anywhere in the world. The reason we had so many cases and deaths in Feb/Mar/April is because we never experienced this kind of virus in the past and didn't know how to react to it. Granted WHO fucked up big time at the beginning, but at least now we know the danger of this virus and are more careful these days compared to a few months ago. Except players, I assume ball kids and staff are French, so once the event is over they will be required to go straight home and get quarantined in case there is a spike, and shuttles will be provided if they don't have a car; no public transportation allowed. As for players RG will provide shuttles to the airport.

Of course what I explained is just scratch of what can be done; I'm sure there is whole committee that's working to ensure the safety of players and staff during the course of event. Bottom line is, it can be done, with lots of effort and planning.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
lol no, Wimbledon has the insurance already. They took the money and ran
And Fedtarts bitch and complain that RG are greedy for postponning RG to a later date. While Wimby cashed in for the insurance. Nice spin Fedtarts.

As for tennis without fans. I dont care. It will be strange. Diferent. But ultimatly who cares about the court fans? Nobody. We are fans of tennis players not the courts fans.

Sure some of you here were thinking og going to watch some live tennis. But with C19 next year is the safe bet.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It is refreshing to read BankaiKenpachi and Bakano's replies in this thread. You two made The Federest look very unintelligent. I wonder if The Federest may want Roland Garros cancelled to prevent Nadal from tying Federer or Djokovic from achieving the double career slam?

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
It is refreshing to read BankaiKenpachi and Bakano's replies in this thread. You two made The Federest look very unintelligent. I wonder if The Federest may want Roland Garros cancelled to prevent Nadal from tying Federer or Djokovic from achieving the double career slam?
You mean it's refreshing seeing 2 fanboys like yourself hating and sperging nonsense about Federer or his fanbase? Color me surprised.

Calm down already and take a seat before you spout even more delusion, what double career slam are you talking about Djokovic is Thiem's and Nadal's turkey at RG, he tried everything in his power to bullshit a win against Thiem last year while making a fool out of himself and still got owned.

Oh well at least it worked with Anderson a few years ago at Wimbledon.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts