Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
LoL. The cancelled can not be uncancelled, need to deal with it.

Mirka must be in fumes right now.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If they were to uncancel grass court season they'd have to do it this week, to give the players enough time to get ready on grass courts and allow the events to quickly sell tickets. I'm on fumes right now too, but if there is no more tennis the rest of 2020, then I'll be less angry about no Wimbledon!!

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
I honestly hope so. I am a diehard Rafa fan and I know Rafa's chance of winning Wimby is kinda slim, I still don't want to see a major get cancelled like that. It just sucks. It leaves question marks when big 3 all retire and fans start debating the GOAT. The margins will be slim among big three and the difference could be just one or two majors. One major getting cancelled is huge, it could potentially belong to any of big 3.

Tennis pundits and fans were all criticizing RG for postponing the event without consulting ATP and players and stuff, and were praising Wimbledon for fucking cancelling the event. How absurd is that? I don't hear those RG criticisms anymore these days. Wimbledon must be kicking their butt off after seeing RG and USO will be potentially held without the crowd.
lol no, Wimbledon has the insurance already. They took the money and ran

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Do you think tennis will begin on July 13th though?? I'm thinking maybe later July or early August at the earliest!!

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

"ATP CEO Andrea Gaudenzi says it would be "unwise" to close the curtain on the 2020 season and is optimistic tennis can resume this season.

The coronavirus crisis has largely stopped sport, but the ATP isn't giving up hope to continue the season.

The ATP and WTA jointly extended the suspension of the pro circuit until July 13th.

As speculation swirls over possibly resuming—or ending— the season over the outbreak, Andrea Gaudenzi says it would be premature to close the curtain on the 2020 season now.

The ATP Chief is maintaining an optimistic outlook and hopeful tennis can continue in some form—including without spectators—this season.

"It would be unwise to call it quits now," Gaudenzi said in comments published by Sky Sport. "Nobody knows what will happen, we want to keep an optimistic overview.

"Obviously, there could be a subset of options, which is playing with closed gates or deciding how to deal with travel restrictions. But we have not made these decisions so far because they are all hypothetical scenarios."

The ATP will decide by the end of this week whether to try to play tournaments scheduled for July or continue suspension of the season.

"We have set a deadline of May 15 for the tournaments in July, post Wimbledon," Gaudenzi said. "And June 1 for the tournaments in August. So we are, in principle, dealing it on I would say six to eight weeks in advance in time for making a decision. Longer than that, it would be foolish to make decisions in my opinion."

The US Open is currently scheduled to start on August 31st.

USTA CEO Mike Dowse says the USTA will make a decision on the US Open's status in June. Dowse says it's "highly unlikely" the Flushing Meadows major will play without fans.

"Their announcement might be a little bit later, we don't know," Gaudenzi said of the US Open. "Once we get to the beginning of June, we will probably know more about the US summer."

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well if the FO and USO get played, but W doesn't, then I feel like they jumped the gun on this one!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well if the FO and USO get played, but W doesn't, then I feel like they jumped the gun on this one!!
If the jumping-jack is put back in the can, players will have to come in 14 days earlier - for the qualies even earlier. I think the French are eager to show off their roof, and they will move the Eiffel Tower to get the show going. The USO is maybe getting pressure to 'get America moving again' blah blah... The problem with Wimby is maybe the grass, it can only be maintained for so long.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Nah, they made the right call business wise. They had the insurance, FO e.g. didn't so they're still hoping to salvage something.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If anyone’s screwed over WB, it’s got to b defending champion & world no.1 who was in position to defend for a record 1 short (defending title) of Fed there. I guess he’ll have to compensate by taking the next 2 HC majors & breaking all time HC majors record in the process, a feat & milestone not too shabby.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
If they were to uncancel grass court season they'd have to do it this week, to give the players enough time to get ready on grass courts and allow the events to quickly sell tickets. I'm on fumes right now too, but if there is no more tennis the rest of 2020, then I'll be less angry about no Wimbledon!!
So you don't care about tennis, only about advantage in the GS race.

·
Registered
762 Posts
At the time of writing, anyone flying into the UK has to be quarantined for 14 days, so I think that would make Wimbledon quite tricky!

This is going to be the big issue for any major tennis tournament, or international event, for the foreseeable future. It's going to be unbelievably difficult to cope with people travelling from a vast number of different countries. Barely anyone is flying currently, and there are going to have to be serious restrictions on what happens when you arrive in a country, probably for quite some time.

It's proving difficult just to organise domestic football, let alone European football, let alone an event that lasts three weeks, which requires hundreds if not thousands of people to fly in from probably 150 countries, and congregate in one place for the duration of the event.

And yet the delusion of the organisers is such that they're saying that they're 'willing' to hold it without fans. Well, that's big of you! Congratulations! Of course you're going to hold without fans, you f*ckwits! You haven't got any f*cking choice!

What you're probably going see now as well is that the number of cases will start to go up again as countries have to return to some form of normality. I don't know about there being a second spike or second peak, but I do know that once people mix more it stands to reason that there will be more cases. And I'm not against that, we have to accept that this is part of the process, but it's going to be unbelievably difficult to justify a massive international sporting event when there are still significant restrictions in place and perhaps the level of cases is still quite high.

It's quite funny that the Australian Open organisers have admitted that their event, in January 2021, might not take place, an expert on the virus has stated that it's very unlikely that the 2021 Olympics will take place without a vaccine, but the French Open organisers still think they're going to have crowds at their event in September!

Let's put this into perspective for you...hotels are bars are still going to be closed in the UK at the end of June. There is going to be a very slow and very phased reopening of them in July, but no-one knows the consequences of this. It might not last, we don't know. You can't even move around Paris currently as it's restricted to red and green zones. Hotels remain closed in France. Don't worry, though, I'm sure the French Open can proceed without any accommodation!

This event is never taking place. If it does then it will be a farce and a shambles.

·
|
14,320 Posts
Let's get a petition going to uncancel W and have a grass season starting on June 8th!!
I don't think it will matter how many people sign a petition, Wimbledon sent a message, and that message is GREED won. They refuse to host tennis unless they can make maximum profits.

Nah, they made the right call business wise. They had the insurance, FO e.g. didn't so they're still hoping to salvage something.
Roland Garros has a reputation for being tennis lovers, whereas Wimbledon is more of a business.
Thank God the world has Roland Garros to save tennis!

If anyone’s screwed over WB, it’s got to b defending champion & world no.1 who was in position to defend for a record 1 short (defending title) of Fed there. I guess he’ll have to compensate by taking the next 2 HC majors & breaking all time HC majors record in the process, a feat & milestone not too shabby.
More interestingly Rafa can win a 5th US Open this year, tying Federer-Sampras-Connors, and then go to Australia looking for the Double Career Grand Slam!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I don't think it will matter how many people sign a petition, Wimbledon sent a message, and that message is GREED won. They refuse to host tennis unless they can make maximum profits.
Um, I think they sent a message that public health is more important than profits.

Whereas Roland-Garros quite clearly don't care how many elderly and infirm French people die, just so they get to host their grubby tournament.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Per L'Equipe, Roland Garros would lose exactly 50% of its revenues if held behind closed doors. But the remaining revenues would still make it worth it for FFT to stage the event, especially considering FFT pledged to hand out 35 million in emergency aid to French clubs, coaches, umpires, and players.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Per L'Equipe, Roland Garros would lose exactly 50% of its revenues if held behind closed doors. But the remaining revenues would still make it worth it for FFT to stage the event, especially considering FFT pledged to hand out 35 million in emergency aid to French clubs, coaches, umpires, and players.
50% of revenues is always better than 0% of revenues

21 - 40 of 113 Posts