Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprisingly solid performance from Le Chapeau; his slicing is still non-existent and his netgame mediocre, but he was able to maintain strong groundstroke intensity throughout while not missing too much (ignoring the disaster TB), and of course the serve was good. Impressive to remain unbroken against a returner like Goffin for nearly the entire match except for a hiccup serving for it (but broke again to seal the deal). Daveed was pretty insipid though, made way too many errors for the steadiness-based player he is.

At this rate, the upper semi could well be Zverev-Shapovalov. Frankly that gets me giddy, Zed-Shapo and Thiem-Madlad - the triumph of the youngsters we've been waiting for so long, no matter what exceptional circumstances it required.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
1st Canadian to reach Qfs at USO in history !? is it really ?!? Solid Shapo , congrats man

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Should have been straight sets (he had break points on three return games in a row and then flopped in the tiebreak) and a bit of a shaky ending, but very solid victory for Shapo. First Canadian man into the US Open QF. Let’s see if FAA and/or Popsicle can join him tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That might be the best I’ve seen Shapovalov play with not as many unforced errors as I’m used to seeing, but definitely has areas to clean up his play. Also seemed like he was getting to a ton of balls today which is good to see as well. If he gets past Busta he could give Zverev a run.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The first set was very high quality from both players. Extremely high intensity. In the second set Goffin didnt take his chance to break in the first game and from there Goffin's intensity slowly withered away while Shapovalov kept upbeat and always had a big serve in the backpocket for tight spots. Goffin seemed unable to hit a flat serve to his left.

Dissappointing how the match fizzled out, but some nice tennis from Goffin in the first set. He is far from done. The better player won today, wouldnt mind seeing Denis taking the title here.

But anyway, I dont like this sport too much, think Im gonna get really into darts or something instead

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
I was right in my prediction that Goffin will not be a match for Shapo this time.

Reactions: ism and Maranza

·
Registered
599 Posts
Very solid win for Shapo, he played some superb points and was fairly consistent throughout the match. He was also very clutch on serve and with good energy level. Goffin started very well but eventually faltered while Denis kept his good level all match.
Shap's chances for a semifinal looking very good

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Denis played a fantastic match. Completely patient, willing to slug it out, and he can win slugging it out. He made some spectacular Nadal-esque running forehands (the first player he reminded me of was Rafa, for the intensity, mainly). Basically he did everything right right (except the 1rst set TB, but no matter).

It was odd because he had so many BPs 1rst set, was not able to convert, then completely fell to pieces in the TB. (Not so odd, actually). But his superiority was latent and manifest itself through the rest of the match. Goff Df'd several game points as I recall, just lost beleif, because, it seemed, he knew he was being outplayed.
Denis's game has improved so so much this year, and end of last. In the post-game virtual fan question, he was asked who/what helped/inspired him most, and he said his family, but then--his girlfriend. He spoke candidly about her influence in him maturing in his game and managing his emotions on court, etc. I thought that was very ...cool.

Whatever doubts hung over Denis have to now be dismissed. He is on the next level, and there's still more beyond that. Just wonderful to see this happening.

·
Registered
99 Posts
After Goffin straight setted the very in form Krajinovik, I really expected him to win this. The difference was definitely Denis’s serve and his volleying - I think he was 34 of 48 when he was at the net.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Surprised to hear he's the first men's singles Canadian player to reach the QF's here when Raonic has been Ol' Reliable -- Raonic had 4 R16's and hasn't gotten further in the US Open yet.
Agreed. Raonic has a Wimbledon F, an Aus SF, and even an RG QF. Not sure why he struggles in New York so often, though 4 R16s is nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
Goffin honestly was pretty terrible by his standards. Folded under the pressure (I suspect the news about Djokovic didn't help him). Shapovalov was fairly solid throughout with the exception of the 1st set TB and thoroughly deserved the win.

PCB is a similar opponent to Goffin and should also pose a serious challenge given his style of play but you'd have to give the edge to Shap there as well. This is a great opportunity this week now.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed. Raonic has a Wimbledon F, an Aus SF, and even an RG QF. Not sure why he struggles in New York so often, though 4 R16s is nothing to be ashamed of.
Been injured there for four straight years preceding the current one. (two absences, twice getting hurt during the matches).

·
Registered
817 Posts
Much better from Shapo. And a surprising turnaround after that awful tiebreak. Goffin was kind of underwhelming though, he didn't ride on the momentum after winning the first set. But Denis got better in the second, finding his controlled agression, switching from defense to offense at the right moment.
I think he definitely has a shot for the title.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Crappovalov reaching his first GS QF is way worse than anything else that happened yesterday

kinda fitting he needed a global pandemic to sneak in among the final 8 for the first time

hopefully come Tuesday Carreno can put an end to this travesty

1 - 20 of 84 Posts