Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zverev continues to bot fairly well while playing defensively, outrallying opponents via physicality. The first two sets were close, then Mannarino strained himself (had an MTO) and went missing. Some of those rallies were so passive they felt like practice. Quite shameful but unlikely the green Fock would concoct an upset so welcome your favourite servebot pusher in QF.

·
Registered
17,779 Posts
Easy peasy, destruction last 2 sets.

Zverev had tougher opponents last 2 rounds.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Zverev got comfortably outplayed for one set and a half but succesfully outgrinded his opponent due to his superior physical strength (as he usually does in Slams).

That said, he isn't hitting the ball as shitty as in Australia so he might have a chance against ADF.

·
9,541 Posts
Get in!!

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Mannarino had a BP late in the second set and didn't convert. That was the beginning of the end. Anyway, Zverev is playing horrible. Errors galore and still isn't serving that well. I'm sure Novak would love to play him in the semis.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mannarino had a BP late in the second set and didn't convert. That was the beginning of the end. Anyway, Zverev is playing horrible. Errors galore and still isn't serving that well. I'm sure Novak would love to play him in the semis.
Horrible player potentially in Slam QF? What is this, weak era?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Good to see that Sascha has pulled it together at least to this extent after that bizarre match against Andy in Nyc/Cincy last week.

Yes, he was a bit lost while Mannarino was coming at him with all his weapons in the 1st set, and most likely was helped by the Frenchman having to get an MTO after probably having tried to play a bit too aggressively considering he may have had some lack of practice, and declining already before & especially after that.

But this seems like an ok slam to be for the German, who is still young and has every chance to become a lot better player than what he's been in the recent years if he manages to cut off the huge amount of UEs and DFs from his game, and adopts a decent plan B when his baseline game isn't working - hopefully he and his team are working on that.

·
Registered
22,064 Posts
Zverev got comfortably outplayed for one set and a half but succesfully outgrinded his opponent due to his superior physical strength (as he usually does in Slams).

That said, he isn't hitting the ball as shitty as in Australia so he might have a chance against ADF.
He was serving better in Australia but playing/hitting better here.

·
Registered
22,064 Posts
Good to see BO5rev at least beating the opponents he should beat and semi-comfortably making the 2nd week of slams. Seems that he left all that clowning/DFs galore for BO3 now.

Zero 5th setters at least, so that’s ideal. He has no chance against Tsitsipas so his best bet is for him to get upset.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Nice work.

Still too many double faults, it worries me. Like, does this guy practise enough? PRACTISE, SASCHA, LESS SUNBATHING, MORE PRACTICE!
Mannarino was good, I think, never have watched him play all match before, I have to say, I liked him, he was clearly in pain but still played till the end.
Overall, I had fun tonight watching tennis, before Sascha and Mannarino match I watched Shapovalov-Fritz match and it was suberb, I really enjoyed it.
Nice and fun tennis friday night :cool:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I´m glad Zverev passed this test relatively calm, last year he would have struggled in the last sets if not going for a 5th or losing the match. Still, he has a lot to improve if he wants to reach the final. At least the draw is very comfortable for him until the QF

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Zverev has a history of magically fixing his second serve when playing big 3 like against Fed in Shanghai and Dull in WTF so we’ll see if he manages to pull that out of his ass again

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Got caught after the confusion in set 1, but recoverd. What je really worked on his transition game to the net. Much better Volleys. If he starts serving like in Melbourne, we could be in for a good week!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts