1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
well done to Shapo for holding on there

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Match of the tournament, one of the matches of the year, and the best BO5 match either man has ever played.

A true cracker for the tennis hearts.

Comeback from the Dead for the new and improved Shapovalov.

Beautiful to see things come together for a talent like him.

Fritz can be proud of himself.

All the young guys found patience, composure and steadiness to assist their attacking: Shapo, Fritz, Fokina, Tiafoe, Moutet..

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
night train went off the rails in the 3rd but recovered nicely. stilts had his chances but he blew it. this one has to hurt.

Reactions: paca and ism

·
Registered
982 Posts
What a comeback, fantastic stuff from denis. Is this his first 5 setter win? Happy to see his grit and will to win, thats what I want to see.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
NID, exactly what everybody and his dog had expected from Fritz.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I thought it was over after Shapo was broken at the start of the 4th set. At that point, Shapo had like 8 aces and 6 doubles. At some point his served turned around and he ended the match with 22 aces and 10 doubles. The difference in the match was the serving but not in favor of Fritz, strangely enough. Good for Fritz though for hitting 147mph on his serve. That is Opelka and Isner level serving.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Statement win from El Shapo. Not only defeats his coetaneous in comeback-y fashion, but equals his best GS result from 3 years ago.
Commiserations toTaylor Harry. Hopefully it won't mess too much with his head, 'cause he played really well today and it would be nice if he keeps this level.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I feel for Fritz. He played out of his mind, served like a beast and still lost. Fantastic match! All sets were won by gutsy aggressive playing, not because of one player failing when it mattered. Great tennis!

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
You could see that easy fifth set for Denis coming. After fritz failed to serve put the match I just got that feeling he needed to take the breaker or that was it
Goffin next . I feel like David can neutralize his game better so while i expected fritz to win I'm not unhappy about this one

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Match of the tournament, one of the matches of the year, and the best BO5 match either man has ever played.

A true cracker for the tennis hearts.

Comeback from the Dead for the new and improved Shapovalov.

Beautiful to see things come together for a talent like him.

Fritz can be proud of himself.

All the young guys found patience, composure and steadiness to assist their attacking: Shapo, Fritz, Fokina, Tiafoe, Moutet..
I agree w/ you 100%. A gutsy win by Denis. He was down and out - Fritzie serving for the match and I had my head in my hands.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Statement win from El Shapo. Not only defeats his coetaneous in comeback-y fashion, but equals his best GS result from 3 years ago.
Commiserations toTaylor Harry. Hopefully it won't mess too much with his head, 'cause he played really well today and it would be nice if he keeps this level.
I hope so. Think he can beat Goffin?

·
Registered
814 Posts
IDK, he's lost at least one set in all of his matches, so it's not like he's unbeatable ATM. Goffin lost some sets too, but I think he had better opposition in Opelka and Krajinovic. David will be by far the toughest player Denis will face, and the more experienced too. I can't see him giving up a lead the way Taylor did. I think Shapo can win if he brings his A game, like the way he played today in the second set and the later part of the fourth. I expect another 4 or 5 setter.

Reactions: ism

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
it really depends on david. he's just not a good match for denis . the style he plays is not a style denis typically does well with . he takes the ball early, gets a lot of balls back and can neutralize denis's serve pretty well if he's on . david, however ..you dont know what you'll get here. he was mediocre in the first 2 rounds but fantastic today. if he shows up the way he did today he should win but we'll see. david hasnt actually put together a string of strong play all that often over the course of the last year and a half

1 - 20 of 56 Posts