Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Murray limping through games, alternating between aggression and passivity, almost taking a sabbatical mentally at some longer stretches...
Let's face it, his comeback will be long and he may not be a Top20 player even this time next year.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Expected result.

Positives for Murray is his fitness is fine and his defence was excellent at times in the match. Serve is pretty weak now so he has to improve that to compete in second week of slams again.

I think this was a slam too early realistically. Main thing is he improves his ranking by playing a few more 250s this year and hopefully he'll be much more competitive in Australia.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I don’t agree that it was a bad match.

Andy is obviously still a bit off his best (would have won otherwise) and was clearly tired at the end. There are positive signs though, none more so than his fighting spirit which is as strong as ever.

Fair play to Verdasco who played very well. Even in the first set when he wasn’t so good he came up with big shots when required. Unlike him.

·
The special one
14,022 Posts
This match started off slow but quality got better each set, not a lot deciding it really, pity Andy couldn't get the break in the last game, I lost count during the match the amount of times Verdasco's serve bailed him out. Congrats to him though, don't like his chances against Del Potro but hope he at least makes it a competitive match.

Andy obviously still nowhere near his best, but he showed great fight and glimpses of his old self, he's getting match sharpness back. He'll be better in asia swing and European tournaments,.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Andy fought and fought, which is all I can ask for. The first set was a shitshow but everything after that was quite good, even excellent at times. There are some signs that Peakray is still there somewhere, especially on defence. Obviously, Andy has quite a way to go until he gets back to a solid, top level of form but his fans must be patient. He'll get there. He should go forward with some confidence and continue his comeback in some smaller tournaments where points are easier to win.

Verdasco was Verdasco. Tons of errors but also a lot of winners, especially in the last set. I thought he was going to bottle it and that we'd go to 5-5 in that final set, but his serve saved him some pain...which is funny because it was giving him plenty of it too with those horribly timed double faults :rolls: :rolls:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,608 Posts
He got through four sets. I think Murray needs a bit of time but he's still a handful.

Well done Fernando on managing to close it out!

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Very rusty from Murray, not really surprisingly. He's spending about 90% of his prep time on physical stuff atm, and you really can't do that and compete at a top level - you need practice sets for rhythm, feel, and consistency.

Needed to win that first set, and should have done ..... but lack of matches will produce those sort of dips.

·
Your visions will happen
47,118 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Couldn't watch but not that bothered as he'd hardly played coming into this. It will be more important for him to build up match sharpness until the end of the season. Next season will be when he will be looking to try to get back to his previous level.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I think most people saw this coming. Murray looked okay. Of the big four, Murray's injury was the most serious. It could affect him for life. I hope he remembers that he has life after tennis. I don't think he is fully fit, and who knows if he will ever be truly fit. We can but hope. It would be nice if he could win one more major, but that looks a long way away.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
There were definitely flashes of Murray at his best. He most likely needs to slowly build back his confidence and get his game firing more consistently. I hope he balances things to get ready for the AO and please for the love of god avoid any more injuries.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I think most people saw this coming. Murray looked okay. Of the big four, Murray's injury was the most serious. It could affect him for life. I hope he remembers that he has life after tennis. I don't think he is fully fit, and who knows if he will ever be truly fit. We can but hope. It would be nice if he could win one more major, but that looks a long way away.
One step at a time, people. Andy should first aim to win an ATP 250 (like Doha) or ATP 500 (like Dubai), then a Masters 1000, and then the Slams.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts