Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shapovalov is super brainless about his game, should've been over much sooner considering how much bigger his weapons were than Kwon's. Ridiculous TB choke from *5-2 up with 4/5 UEs and took an inordinate amount of time to wins the next two sets fighting through his own errors. Was down a break in the third but Kwon's fitness started to go after constantly being on the defensive.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yes, he sometimes makes it way too hard on himself. But, also something seems to be going on with his back. Like R1, after the treatment, he played much better.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Should have been straight sets (he blew a 5-2 lead on his serve in the opening set tiebreak), but he sailed through smoothly (for the most part) after that.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
From what I've seen of Kwon I was a little disappointed as I felt he could have imposed himself on the match and been more aggressive. He is capable of that. Especially as Shapo was making a lot of errors.

I thought Shapo got much better as the match went on though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
just based off what i've seen from both here so far fritz should end his tournament next round
Hard to say. Fritz did beat Simon in straight sets and Simon is currently ranked 52 but just a couple of weeks ago, Simon lost in three sets to Sebastian Korda with Simon losing the last two sets 6-0 and 6-1.

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Hard to say. Fritz did beat Simon in straight sets and Simon is currently ranked 52 but just a couple of weeks ago, Simon lost in three sets to Sebastian Korda with Simon losing the last two sets 6-0 and 6-1.
Simon was slightly injured judging from Cincy so that win for Fritz means little, Shapovalov to win in 4 sets.

·
justice for all
17,979 Posts
Couldn't watch but every time El Shapo wins the tennis world becomes a bit better. His variety and shotmaking is what it needs. I think the match vs Fritz is winnable but next round vs probably Krajinovic will be the first very tough hurdle. Come on!

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
Couldn't watch but every time El Shapo the tennis world becomes a bit better. His variety and shotmaking is what it needs. I think the match vs Fritz is winnable but next round vs probably Krajinovic will be the first very tough hurdle. Come on!
He beat Krajinovic in straights to win his first final. I think Goffin poses the biggest challenge for his game style until the probable Djokovic loss in the QFs.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Shapovalov is super brainless about his game, should've been over much sooner considering how much bigger his weapons were than Kwon's. Ridiculous TB choke from *5-2 up with 4/5 UEs and took an inordinate amount of time to wins the next two sets fighting through his own errors. Was down a break in the third but Kwon's fitness started to go after constantly being on the defensive.
You really don‘t understand that Kwon‘s baseline steadies, fast paced counter punching, made Shapo have to go for bigger shots, and makes it harder for him to construct offense in a safer way because Kwon has a more applicable backhand, high-risk UE‘s are a natural byproduct for Shapo in such a match.

MANY of you do not understand this, and in essence due not understand tennis because of that.

Lacking Game POV.

Shapo was great. Good win for him against a banana skin opppnent.

Reactions: Sparlingo

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes, he sometimes makes it way too hard on himself. But, also something seems to be going on with his back. Like R1, after the treatment, he played much better.
It was his right foot and calf the physio was treating was it not? Didn't seem like it was serious though.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
this overrated Canadian will reach 1-2 GS QFs in his career and nothing beyond

his "big weapons" are nothing special, physically he's extremely weak and will always be more of a boy than a man and let's not even get started about his mental "strength"

lulz

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
He beat Krajinovic in straights to win his first final. I think Goffin poses the biggest challenge for his game style until the probable Djokovic loss in the QFs.
Krajinovic is a very different player at the moment, I would be very surprised if he lost to Goffin. I think he'll be too much for Shapo if they play.

On the match, Shapo is an incredibly frustrating player, played a great tiebreak to get 5-2 up & then proceeded to hit 4 straight unforced errors... that sort of consistency won't be enough against Krajinovic.

·
Registered
920 Posts
this overrated Canadian will reach 1-2 GS QFs in his career and nothing beyond

his "big weapons" are nothing special, physically he's extremely weak and will always be more of a boy than a man and let's not even get started about his mental "strength"

lulz
Don't know about his future results, but I don't see that physical weakness is a problem for him as long as he trains properly.

IMO, his biggest problem is that, like Monfils and Kyrgios, he’s a natural born showman. He will inherently choose great shots over good shots and spectacular shots over great ones. It’s fun to watch, but not a winning strategy over the top pros who will applaud his talent while consistently beating him with high percentage tennis.

·
Registered
756 Posts
IMO, his biggest problem is that, like Monfils and Kyrgios, he’s a natural born showman. He will inherently choose great shots over good shots and spectacular shots over great ones. It’s fun to watch, but not a winning strategy over the top pros who will applaud his talent while consistently beating him with high percentage tennis.
That's a lazy analysis. True, he's an aggressive shotmaker. Which will always mean lots of winners but also a fair share of UEs. But I can't see any Monfils clowning or Kyrgios inane attitude problems going on. He just plays a high risk game which very few player's do. Given that he is 21, insanely talented but also highly disciplined and likely to hit his peak in 4-5 years time, I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
920 Posts
That's a lazy analysis. True, he's an aggressive shotmaker. Which will always mean lots of winners but also a fair share of UEs. But I can't see any Monfils clowning or Kyrgios inane attitude problems going on. He just plays a high risk game which very few player's do. Given that he is 21, insanely talented but also highly disciplined and likely to hit his peak in 4-5 years time, I'm not too worried.
Using a phrase like "lazy analysis" is about as lazy as one can get. And a player can be a showman without being a clown..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts