Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not check, but I am pretty sure that the R32 field of this US Open is the youngest of at least the last 5 years. The full distribution is below. Djokovic is the oldest player remaining in the draw! GoldenGen is largely either absent or declining (5 players in total, including both remaining GS titlists), LostGen should be dominant now, but is weak as usual (10 or 11), and NextGen (15 or 16) clearly takes the lead. Plus FAA from yet unnamed generation.

1987: 2 (Djokovic, Kukushkin)
1988: 3 (Bautista-Agut, Mannarino, Cilic)
1989: 0
1990: 4 or 5 (Struff, Berankis, Goffin, Pospisil, maybe Evans)
1991: 1 (Carreno Busta)
1992: 3 (Krajinovic, Caruso, Fucsovics)
1993: 1 (Thiem)
1994: 1 (Thompson)
1995: 1 (Norrie)
1996: 4 (Coric, Berrettini, Medvedev, Khachanov)
1997: 3 (Zverev, Rublev, Fritz)
1998: 4 (Tsitsipas, Tiafoe, Ruud, Wolf)
1999: 3 or 4 (De Minaur, Shapovalov, Davidovich Fokina, maybe Moutet)
2000: 1 (Auger-Aliassime)

·
justice for all
17,665 Posts
Good observation, OP but I bet it has something to do with the absence of Federer, Nadal and Wawrinka.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good observation, OP but I bet it has something to do with the absence of Federer, Nadal and Wawrinka.
Yes, of course. As I wrote, GoldenGen is either absent or declining. Monfils, Fognini, and Verdasco are also not there.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Faker's mafia-"union" will enforce a mandatory 30yrs minimum age. Was going to be 33 but a small adjustment was made for errand-boy Pospisil.

·
justice for all
17,665 Posts
Faker's mafia-"union" will enforce a mandatory 30yrs minimum age. Was going to be 33 but a small adjustment was made for errand-boy Pospisil.
They'll rather falsify Popsickle's birth date and make him be 33 - they need to kick out Roberto Bautista Agut - it's too risky to have him in the mix when he regularly gives Novak a run for his money.

·
|
15,641 Posts
Djokovic looked so weak in that AO Final, despite Nadal taking most of Thiem's energy in that 76 46 76 76 grindfest.
No chance of Djokovic winning this US Open if he has to play Tsitsipas and Medvedev/Thiem.
Djokovic simply lacks the manhood these days.
Far more suited to best-of-3-sets, and even then he's pushed to the limit.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Djokovic looked so weak in that AO Final, despite Nadal taking most of Thiem's energy in that 76 46 76 76 grindfest.
No chance of Djokovic winning this US Open if he has to play Tsitsipas and Medvedev/Thiem.
Djokovic simply lacks the manhood these days.
Far more suited to best-of-3-sets, and even then he's pushed to the limit.
The man has literally won 5 of the last 7 slams and you don't think he is suited for Bo5 anymore? WTF?!?

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
The man has literally won 5 of the last 7 slams and you don't think he is suited for Bo5 anymore? WTF?!?
And he's on a 28-match winning streak. Also, one of those losses at a slam was a retirementi/injury, so it's more like 5 of the last 6. When Novak was at his peak in 2015/2016, he also won 5 of the last 6 slams. Novak is mentally stronger than ever before and his serve is getting even better. Novak will just not allow himself to lose.

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
Cool down, in a few years they will start calling Djokovic a fossil. They did not apply the same to Federer as they revere him so much (after all these are all real or latent Fedtards), but they won't miss any opportunity to bash Novak, for sure...

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Go grandpa!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
And he's on a 28-match winning streak. Also, one of those losses at a slam was a retirementi/injury, so it's more like 5 of the last 6. When Novak was at his peak in 2015/2016, he also won 5 of the last 6 slams. Novak is mentally stronger than ever before and his serve is getting even better. Novak will just not allow himself to lose.
haha it’s not 5 out of 6 in any way. He retired sure but was fit enough to play and Stan kicked his ass, it doesn’t magically not count

i agree about the mental strength,for a few years now he’s been unreal especially in finals. Finds a way to win

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
Why do you take anything NADALalot says seriously anymore ? He is clearly here to troll and seems like he spends way too much time on this forum given his almost 15k posts in 6 years.
What? That was an answer to our resident main Dull troll? :ROFLMAO:

Didn't know that and the new forum also doesn't display it anymore if I have the quoted member on ignore. Brilliant invention it is

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Djokovic doesn't look like the oldest. Some of the younger guys have very old faces.

But yeah, it's a given Djokovic has entered the world of veterans for a while now.

Reactions: incognito

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Gen useless still in the draw. Thiem, Pospisil(!), Fucsovics, Caruso(!), Goffin, PCB. That's terrible considering we're not even in the R4 yet (with 16 players left). Only Thiem seems like he will reach the QFs.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Wow I had no idea that RBA was that old! I thought he was still in his late 20s.
He is. Will be 30 next July. Usless is 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993. Only the 1989s and some of the 1990s have aged out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's a real shame that Nishikori couldn't play due to the COVD-19. If he had entered the tournament, he would of had a good chance to turn the clock back and proven that the Generation Useless was actually of some use. He was more than ready for the challenge. He was in awesome form at the time that it was revealed he contracted the virus.

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update for R16: Djokovic and Pospisil the only players remaining who already celebrated their 30th birthday. 10/16 players born 1996 or later. Also, only four players remaining who ever won at least a Masters tournament (Djokovic, Medvedev, Zverev and Thiem)

1987: 1 (Djokovic)
1988: 0
1989: 0
1990: 2 (Goffin, Pospisil)
1991: 1 (Carreno Busta)
1992: 0
1993: 1 (Thiem)
1994: 1 (Thompson)
1995: 0
1996: 3 (Coric, Berrettini, Medvedev)
1997: 2 (Zverev, Rublev)
1998: 1 (Tiafoe)
1999: 3 (De Minaur, Shapovalov, Davidovich Fokina)
2000: 1 (Auger-Aliassime)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts