Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Not a great match, but Andy wins. Great get on the last but one point by Andy.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Murray didn't look very good and was lucky to be facing somebody that sliced his forehand more than anybody I've seen in recent years. Nice for Andy to pick up some points, but doubt he can get by Verdasco in this state over a Bo5

·
The special one
14,032 Posts
Not a great match quality wise. Duckworth made well over 60 UEs. The first set was pretty even, Murray had a couple of SPs before the TB which Duckworth did well to save, and then Murray played a poor TB. He improved a lot after that though, apart from a bit of a brain fart while serving at 3-2 in the 4th, but managed to get the break back straight away and served it out. Considering it was his first match back at a slam in 15 months I don't have too many complaints though. He looked very fired up in this match, the hunger and passion is still burning through his veins.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Here's the Murray we all love to watch (or despise with great passion) - obnoxious ranting, endless complaining, embarrassing self-pumping and cheering himself on after every UE from his opponent. Cringe-worthy, but I guess you can't say he wasn't motivated. It looks like he was playing for a CYGS from his attitude at times.

Tennistically speaking, I hadn't seen much of Ducky until now but now I see why he's a walking bye in virtually every draw - this guy is an absolute UE and DF machine. And what the hell was up with that horrible sliced half-assed forehand he reverted to during long rallies? He didn't win a single point off it...
Murray's level wasn't very good and considering it took him 4 sets and some really big gifts from his opponent, I don't think this bodes particularly well for the rest of his tournament...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Murray was decent. Not great but not very poor as well. Although he seems to have some stamina issues in BO5 and may need some time for that. Next round against Verdasco will be tough and real test though.

·
Administrator
6,072 Posts
One of the few winnable matches this Murray could have drawn in best of 5. Nice to see him play and win his first best of 5 match in over a year (and avoid another loss from 2 sets to 1 up, as happened in 4 of his last 5 losses in best of 5). Of course it's not likely to be the beginning of a real comeback tournament, and he will most likely be defeated comfortably in R2, but playing and winning a handful of matches while not re-injuring himself and hopefully building up some basic level of fitness and match sharpness to try to play a proper season next year is the best I can hope for.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Duckworth is completely worthless (pun intended) and not a threat to anyone in the draw. Why is he even protected? That’s exactly the ranking he deserves imo. I’ve seen him only once against Federer in Brisbane 2015 and barely won a point there...

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Andy up to 302 in the live rankings.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Here's the Murray we all love to watch (or despise with great passion) - obnoxious ranting, endless complaining, embarrassing self-pumping and cheering himself on after every UE from his opponent. Cringe-worthy, but I guess you can't say he wasn't motivated. It looks like he was playing for a CYGS from his attitude at times.

Tennistically speaking, I hadn't seen much of Ducky until now but now I see why he's a walking bye in virtually every draw - this guy is an absolute UE and DF machine. And what the hell was up with that horrible sliced half-assed forehand he reverted to during long rallies? He didn't win a single point off it...
Murray's level wasn't very good and considering it took him 4 sets and some really big gifts from his opponent, I don't think this bodes particularly well for the rest of his tournament...
If I had no idea that even the best players in the world still get nervous on playing 1st round matches of GS I would believe on what you said... I think you have to put in to consideration that this is Andy's first major since his return... let's just enjoy that he is back.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I watched a bit and neither were bad really. Duckworth should improve his rankings. Slice forehand did not work but it's cause Murray is just about the best player in the game when it comes to countering variety play. 11-0 against FLopez, abusing Llodra at AO 2012, etc.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Duckworth is completely worthless (pun intended) and not a threat to anyone in the draw. Why is he even protected? That’s exactly the ranking he deserves imo. I’ve seen him only once against Federer in Brisbane 2015 and barely won a point there...
he still won a set and 5 games in another set.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Muzza's coming from behind in these early rounds becomes legendary

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Not a great match quality wise. Duckworth made well over 60 UEs. The first set was pretty even, Murray had a couple of SPs before the TB which Duckworth did well to save, and then Murray played a poor TB. He improved a lot after that though, apart from a bit of a brain fart while serving at 3-2 in the 4th, but managed to get the break back straight away and served it out. Considering it was his first match back at a slam in 15 months I don't have too many complaints though. He looked very fired up in this match, the hunger and passion is still burning through his veins.

he will improve fast with each match.

this is progress.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
When you're in the position Murray is in, every win is a good win, no matter against whom and no matter the score. I didn't get to see much but I hope he is on the right track physically.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Making week 2 will be a good event for him I think, but it's going to be tough.
60/40 vs Verdasco, then he'd be an underdog vs Delpo after that. Unlikely.

He's very, very rusty atm, and it's still mostly about building up the physical side. Some good signs today, the forehand worked well at times, and the serve was half-decent - he wasn't broken until the fourth set, and that was largely a mental letdown with the match basically won.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts