Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Fortunately - as hinted by DieGOAT - we have seen Thiem raise his level after a less than stellar start previously. Also, he has a pretty good draw - Nagal in the next round might be just what the doctor ordered. With a little bit of luck, he might actually get the chance to play himself into form.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Munar looks like one of the most frustating players to play against for an attacker. So many shots required to put down.

Thiem made some studip errors and made his life much tougher, but that was NID. Still a positive match, I could see pre-Massu Thiem to ballbash himself out of tournament in 4 sets. He wasn't perfect, but usually waited for a good opportunity to speed up the tempo.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I watched a bit of this, Thiem served for the first set at 5-4 and was (I think) 5-1 up in the tie breaker, so was mugging a bit.

Thiem seemed to me to be playing with a lot of spin and not much power. Don’t know if that was the courts, tactics or confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Munar looks like one of the most frustating players to play against for an attacker. So many shots required to put down.

Thiem made some studip errors and made his life much tougher, but that was NID. Still a positive match, I could see pre-Massu Thiem to ballbash himself out of tournament in 4 sets. He wasn't perfect, but usually waited for a good opportunity to speed up the tempo.
Yes, and as the first set progressed, he sliced more to take away free speed from Munar, before going on the attack when he got a soft ball or Munar was out of position.

Thiem also played some gutsy shots in the first-set breaker.

In any case, such a pleasure to watch attacking tennis: go Dominic!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I was also watching this match as much as I could (as almost all my faves were/are still playing at the same time today 😣).

Domi's form is not that convincing yet, but he got past Munar, which is the main thing right now - so not the kind of disaster we saw last week.

He should clearly be able to up his game when going forward, and I'm confident that he will be able to do that.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Domi was alright (obviously not at his best) but Munar was chasing every ball back and was doing great. This match looked like a clay court one.
No idea why Munar retired at the end of the 2nd.
This I totally agree with. It did indeed look like they started to play clay court tennis with long rallies at one stage, which is not that strange if you consider the fact that both of these two players are 'originally' claycourters - it's easy to just fall into that mood with someone else playing the same way.

But also some great straight winners from Dominic. Like @The Federest said, the match did include some beauties and nicely attacking tennis from him.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Dodged a bullet, Munar was defending well until he fell and injured his knee. Still not convinced by Thiem and the surface.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts