Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
justice for all
18,108 Posts
I think both were slightly injured by the end of the match. Sinner's looked more serious though. This kid needs to improve his physicality in the years to come if he wants to do well in the slams.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Sinner was playing without body, Khachanov without brain, a close match was the logical consequence.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Khachanov should get some respect for the cool head he kept, his composure.

People tried to diss him for not converting BP‘s and tactically poor play, but truthfully outside of 2-3 service games Sinner served and serve+1‘ed his way through, and did so on BP‘s as well.

Sinner is obviously the type that can still dictate without moving, like Fognini.

Meanwhile Khachanov‘s serve got better and better and he hit every single first serve in the tiebreak. Never let his service games be threatened except the first, due to how well he backed them with his serve.

Sinner had tiny 5th set chances at 0-1*, 5-6* opening point, and MP could have done better as in not error‘d.

On the whole he did admirably well and was really clutch and continued fighting.

He owned this match but was physically put of it 3 games into the 3rd set with back issues and later kept holding and angling down on his leg as well, likely cramps.

To be honest towards the end it felt like destiny for Sinner to win, handled the occasion so well, but Khachanov didn‘t give him any looks on serve.

Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sinner walking around like a grandpa by the final set, still taking Khachanov to a TB was hilarious to see.

It was an unfortunate injury and in terms of technical abilities he's immensely gifted but you also see how much ground he has to make up for physically. And he's 19 --- he's not that young.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Very ignorant posts here.

Mods, please merge.

·
justice for all
18,108 Posts
Sinner was playing without body, Khachanov without brain, a close match was the logical consequence.
Khachanov wasn't THAT bad tactically as for his standards. He didn't ball bash that much ever since Sinner got injured which was the key to win it via Sinner's self-destruction.

·
Premium Member
Stan Wawrinka
4,222 Posts
The match was indeed strange and not of the best level gamewise.
Sinner needs to improve his fitness and stamina.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Jannick is not ready yet to play in the best of five. He needs to work a lot his physique. I still wonder how he managed to reach the tie-break in the final set. Jannick should now play in Kitzbühel where he received a WC

·
Registered
32 Posts
It was actually kind of fascinating to watch this, despite being sad for the physical pain that Sinner must have felt. Sinner‘s talent and gift on the ball really showed even when he could hardly move more than a couple steps, he kept dictating with the serve and hard ground strokes on the second ball. Khachanov stayed calm inside despite surely being annoyed with himself for not forcing play more.

I hope Sinner can improve his fitness - because if he can, he‘ll be one to watch for the big titles in the future.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Jannick is not ready yet to play in the best of five. He needs to work a lot his physique. I still wonder how he managed to reach the tie-break in the final set. Jannick should now play in Kitzbühel where he received a WC
Not ready yet to play BO5? These arm chair posts lol

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Tough match showing BO5 is sometimes too much of a physical battle at the expense of level of play. Especially for younger guys with less experience.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I don't understand why Eurosport chose to show this. Three sets of a limp dog pouting on court. Waste.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Of course he can beat a lot of mugs in the best of five but his physique is not ready yet for a long effort against top guys, He is probably one of the most talented guy out there, but he will need to work very hard to reach the top. Last year in October, I thought he was going to be top 10 by the end of 2020 (or very near at least) but I was wrong. It will take more time.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Of course he can beat a lot of mugs in the best of five but his physique is not ready yet for a long effort against top guys, He is probably one of the most talented guy out there, but he will need to work very hard to reach the top. Last year in October, I thought he was going to be top 10 by the end of 2020 (or very near at least) but I was wrong. It will take more time.
Dude, he's played 3 sets with many top guys before..

he was a wreck from the start of the third today.

It's just not a conclusion to make.

Could he improve physically? Sure, but to say he's not BO5 ready is an exaggeration.

Reactions: cpbdea

·
Registered
888 Posts
Do you really think it's farfetched to state that physically, he's nowhere near ready to do anything big in BO5?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Better player lost :(

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Dude, he's played 3 sets with many top guys before..

he was a wreck from the start of the third today.

It's just not a conclusion to make.

Could he improve physically? Sure, but to say he's not BO5 ready is an exaggeration.
you are right, it is probably an exaggeration but he lost in straight sets in the first round in Australia against Fucsovics and here after 2 good sets, he got an injury which is quite frustrating. What I mean, is that right now, he has much more chance to go deep in a tournament in the best of three and before he reaches the latest stages of a slam (Final or SF), we might have to wait another 2 or 3 years.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts