Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
761 - 780 of 831 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: Fed will regret loss to Del Potro

"awww what a crap year now i lost my US open 5 TIME WINNING STREAK. i guess i will have to go polish my wimbledon and RG trophies, my AO plate while eating dinner with my new wife and 2 beautiful daughters. ooooooo the humanity, i am so depressed i lost for the first time in 41 matches at a tournament!! IM DYING HERE"

- By Roger Federer, according to the insane logic of this thread.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts

Stupid thread, Federer has had a wondrous year and I'm sure he feels happy for Juan Martin.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Stupid thread, Federer has had a wondrous year and I'm sure he feels happy for Juan Martin.
The scary part is many of Roger's "years" as far as tennis are even better. How many time has Roger won 3 of the 4 grand slam titles but has made it into the finals? And then in the finals he loses, it's usually in 5 sets!

For me, Roger's consistency that's so amazing. So I'm not so sure if Roger is going to "regret" his loss to Pony-boy. But I'm sure he's disappointed in the result but at the same time happy for JM del Potro's success.

Goodness though imagine all the matches Roger had to win to have the year he's had. Imagine all the matches Roger had to win to have his career. Many before have failed for whatever reason, but somehow Roger is always there in the finals... waiting. To me, that's really cool.. even though I'm happy other players are challenging him a bit more.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts

andy - Fed is up to 827 career matches. That's a hell of a lot of tennis behind him. They say there is only so much mileage in any tennis player, who knows how much Roger really has left.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

andy - Fed is up to 827 career matches. That's a hell of a lot of tennis behind him. They say there is only so much mileage in any tennis player, who knows how much Roger really has left.
Wow!:eek:

Now, how many times has Roger won 3 of the 4 grand slams been in a finalist of the one he lost? How many times has Roger won 2 of the 4 grand slams AND been in the finals of the ones he lost?

And then look at all of his success in other tournaments as well as the Master's events!

How many different opponents has he faced in the finals? Of course the most recent is Nadal v Federer. And then there's my Andy at Wimby!:lol: But it's always Roger there in the final. I'm just saying.. I mean with Pete.. you couldn't even count on it at the French say.. But with Roger... he always puts himself in the position of winning.

I respect that. :hatoff:

·
ツ
7,561 Posts

So true. If Federer kept his head down he (probably) would have won his third straight US Open in straight sets.

So often when a player plays his first Grand Slam final against experienced foe, the first set is convincing (nerves), the second set close (settled in more but can't win the important points), and the third set is comfortable (very hard mentally to come back from two sets down in first slam final). You only have to look as far back as Roland Garros this year for one such final. Federer d. Soderling 6-1 7-6(1) 6-4.

I believe if Federer had stayed totally focused this kind of score would of happened.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts

andy - I still consider 2005 to be a much better statistical year for Fed. Won 2 slams + 4 Masters + 5 other titles, 81-4. However 2009 was very important because he won Roland Garros and Wimbledon to complete the career slam + #15. Also he's made 22 straight semis and 17/18 finals which is insane.

·
Banned
34,169 Posts

As well as del Potro played, and he was incredibly good in the last three sets (minus the choke at the end of the third), Federer lost it more than DelPo won it. He got too cute after he went up a break in the second set, acting as if he had nothing to fear from del Potro. Too many cute drop shots, an attempt for another YouTube moment with a ridiculous over the head, back-to-the-net lob, serve and volleying at unusual times, you name it.

The last time Federer lost a grand slam match when he was in a winning position was against Safin at the 2005 Aussie Open. He got too cute in that one, too.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-22652-Pro-Tennis-Examiner~y2009m9d19-Roger-Federer-fooled-around-too-much-in-US-Open-final
Dear mods, please ban complete and utter imbeciles such as this poster.

Cheers.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts

So true. If Federer kept his head down he (probably) would have won his third straight US Open in straight sets.

So often when a player plays his first Grand Slam final against experienced foe, the first set is convincing (nerves), the second set close (settled in more but can't win the important points), and the third set is comfortable (very hard mentally to come back from two sets down in first slam final). You only have to look as far back as Roland Garros this year for one such final. Federer d. Soderling 6-1 7-6(1) 6-4.

I believe if Federer had stayed totally focused this kind of score would of happened.
Yes I'll always be a tad bit sad that Fed had this in 3 sets easily, but got bored and let it get away from him. That 2nd set *5-4 30-15 drop shot will always haunt me.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

andy - I still consider 2005 to be a much better statistical year for Fed. Won 2 slams + 4 Masters + 5 other titles, 81-4. However 2009 was very important because he won Roland Garros and Wimbledon to complete the career slam + #15. Also he's made 22 straight semis and 17/18 finals which is insane.
I agree. As you know, I've been critical of Roger! But I don't think his success necessarily has to do with the other players. Sure.. sometimes.... they might psyche themselves out! But the fact Roger has been so consistent--that he puts himself in the position of winning. That says a lot.

I love Rafa.. but look his injuries took their toll. That hasn't happened to Roger, and a lot of it has to do with Roger. He's 28 years old and still having this kind of success. If he can stay focused and hungry, I don't see any reason why he can't still be in the finals............ waiting! I'm not sure about winning.. maybe he can? But the fact he can make it to the finals and take it to 5 at age 28.. ..:hatoff:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Well... you know.. I can't say Roger lost a slam. Pony-boy stepped up to win it. I'm sure there are points Roger would have played differently. But at the same time, I'm sure there are points pony-boy would have played differently even though he won.

I have to give credit to the winner... because... he stepped up to win regardless of the circumstances--including mental lapses on both sides.

Hey... ponyboy won fair and square. He's a good kid or seems like a good kid! And Roger was very, very gracious. I appreciate that.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts

Why would Fed regret it though? He will be in contention for the next 4 slams next year and probably bag a few more before he retires

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
SetSampras - you are increasingly sounding like a voice of reason amid the insanity of GM. Come join us in "Ye Olde Castle".

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

Why would Fed regret it though? He will be in contention for the next 4 slams next year and probably bag a few more before he retires
idiotic to the last ounce.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Using the Australian Open '09 as the barometer for Fed's peak regret at a tournament, and the French Open and Wimbledon as the "monkey off the back" victories, this loss doesn't even register as one of "deep" regret. He looked relaxed at the presentation ceremonies. He has already completed everything imaginable. Everything from this point forward is an extra.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Using the Australian Open '09 as the barometer for Fed's peak regret at a tournament, and the French Open and Wimbledon as the "monkey off the back" victories, this loss doesn't even register as one of "deep" regret. He looked relaxed at the presentation ceremonies. He has already completed everything imaginable. Everything from this point forward is an extra.
Exactly like I said Roger has children now. I mean of course he still wants to win, any true competitor does, but he now realizes there are more important things in life after all he has accomplished. I respect the guy for that. He probably has a few good years left on the tour, and we as tennis fans should appreciate them. We are/did watch one of the best of all time and should cherish such a thing. Seriously in what lifetime will you get Roger Federer and Tiger Woods? What a great time to live in the world of sports!

761 - 780 of 831 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.