Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching two Canadian men play for the title in Washington, DC.

Thanks Pat McEnroe and the USTA for the complete destruction of American tennis. I never thought Canadian players would surpass the Americans.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'm watching two Canadian men play for the title in Washington, DC.

Thanks Pat McEnroe and the USTA for the complete destruction of American tennis. I never thought Canadian players would surpass the Americans.
It looks that way right now, but there are some signs of hope with Sock, Johnson and Young knocking on the doors of the top 50 and younger players like Kozlov, Donaldson, Tiafoe and Rubin coming up. I don't think you can blame Pat McEnroe and the USTA, at least not yet.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'll repeat what I said in another thread.

The US needs to start outsourcing their coaches.

Tennis Canada hires the best coaches from around the world (Frederic Fontang, Galo Blanco, Riccardo Piatti) to train their players.

The USTA sticks players with their mediocre coaches to justify the obscene amount of funds they get.

It's the young, up-and-coming, talented US players that have to deal with the system who lose out the most.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You make a good point. Players from Ontario and British Columbia, after all, should not be outperforming players from Southern California and Florida.

·
Your visions will happen
47,121 Posts
It all comes down to desire, not climate, at the end of the day, and Vasek and Rao have the desire and the game to do so.

Isner is the only American in the top 50. DY is 51, we have Sock, Johnson, Querrey I think is like 80 now, Klahn at 90something,

But I do agree with the incompetency of the current USTA.

·
Registered
280 Posts
At what point does the coaching decision move from the national association to the player? Were Fontag and Blanco hired by Tennis Canada or the players?

I would think this is more relevant at the lower levels, where if players want subsidized coaching they get what the association is willing to fund.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Talent goes a long way as well. Like a drought, it's hard to predict where it will pop up. Can't manufacture it. Djoker practiced in a war zone/swimming pool when he was developing and couldn't afford to travel from slam to slam--the support he received was laughable. He was coached by a local who focused on the fundamentals of the game. The current US players are shadows of the past greats...the best coach in the world can only help them so much.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Everyone at the top of the game today, even Murray, learned to play on clay. The Americans are great in the juniors because they teach teenagers to serve big and hit their opponents off the court. When they get to the seniors, they find that a game tailored for 90s grass isn't going to cut it on the green, blue, and red clay of today, and they get outwitted and outclassed.

Oddly, Raonic is similarly one-dimensional, but has the gift of tenacity and relative consistency. He'll never amount to much though, and neither will American tennis until either the courts change back, or they start training juniors on clay.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Michael Downey put a lot of work into ensuring that this group of Canadian players would be great. Brought in Bob Brett as a coach for player development and then Louis Borfiga who was in charge of the development of Gasquet, Monfils and Simon to redevelop the way in which players are developed.

USTA have just stuck to what they know.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
At what point does the coaching decision move from the national association to the player? Were Fontag and Blanco hired by Tennis Canada or the players?

I would think this is more relevant at the lower levels, where if players want subsidized coaching they get what the association is willing to fund.
YES Tennis Canada realized Milos need top level coaching and they paid Galo Blanco to train Milos in Spain. I think Tennis Canada found Fredrick Fontang to help Vasek too. Tennis Canada has done a lot for Canadian players they also helped pay for coaching for Eugenie Bouchard as well.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Talent goes a long way as well. Like a drought, it's hard to predict where it will pop up. Can't manufacture it. Djoker practiced in a war zone/swimming pool when he was developing and couldn't afford to travel from slam to slam--the support he received was laughable. He was coached by a local who focused on the fundamentals of the game. The current US players are shadows of the past greats...the best coach in the world can only help them so much.
This is true also tennis is an expensive sport.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
It looks that way right now, but there are some signs of hope with Sock, Johnson and Young knocking on the doors of the top 50 and younger players like Kozlov, Donaldson, Tiafoe and Rubin coming up. I don't think you can blame Pat McEnroe and the USTA, at least not yet.
Not yet?

LOL

Haven't they done anything yet since Andy Roddick and James Blake?

Absolutely nothing

For almost 12 years the only slam for America is from Andy Roddick

US tennis players have more than 10 years without a slam.

And Have more than 6 years without a master title

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not yet?

LOL

Absolutely nothing

Roddick won Miami in 2010.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Not yet?

LOL

Absolutely nothing

The last time a US player won Masters 1000 wasn't 4 years ago. Andy Roddick won Miami in 2010.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Canada is actually producing top quality talent in a sport that does not require thermals.

Unbelievable.
What sports require thermals? Parasailing and hang gliding come to mind, but not much else.

If you are referring to non-winter sports, then yes, it is somewhat less common for Canadians to excel at those. Not surprising really when you consider that except for the south coast of BC, no place in Canada has a climate that allows tennis to be played outdoors on public courts for more than about 6 months a year.

That gives a huge advantage to players from countries with temperate climates like Spain, USA, France, etc. who can play year round outdoors.

Makes it seem a miracle that a player from Scotland could ever succeed. Maybe they have to leave Scotland to get year- round court access too. Just like Canadians going to Florida.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
What sports require thermals? Parasailing and hang gliding come to mind, but not much else.

If you are referring to non-winter sports, then yes, it is somewhat less common for Canadians to excel at those. Not surprising really when you consider that except for the south coast of BC, no place in Canada has a climate that allows tennis to be played outdoors on public courts for more than about 6 months a year.

That gives a huge advantage to players from countries with temperate climates like Spain, USA, France, etc. who can play year round outdoors.

Makes it seem a miracle that a player from Scotland could ever succeed. Maybe they have to leave Scotland to get year- round court access too. Just like Canadians going to Florida.
You make joke! I like! Very nice! - Sincerely, a Michigander

·
Registered
280 Posts
Frozen Canada?? Wasn't Raonic born in Montenegro and lives in Monaco??
When did he and his family move from Montenegro? When did he move to Monaco? You are inferring that he spent his entire life in paradise. Is that true?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts