Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
His match against Sanchez has just started. Come on, Tommy! :D

Btw, I don't know if you saw this but an official spoke to Tommy for a few minutes and Tommy had to change his sleeveless white shirt and put on a green one polo shirt (I think that's the right expression - sleeves and a collar). LMAO! I didn't know they were so strict at the US Open. This isn't Wimbledon after all. ;)

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Oh No!U can do it Tommy! :kiss:

Quick message before I go Ill be back on in about 45 mins(hope 2 c everyone here!)

PS.Did anyone else notice how HOT Tommy looks in green? :hearts:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tommy looks hot in everything, but I especially like him in orange. Of course we'll still be here, I just hope Tommy will too. :(

GO TOMMY!!! YOU CAN TURN THIS AROUND!

·
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS
16,844 Posts
CONGRATS, Tommy on that thrilling 5 setter first round!!!

2 double faults at 2 match points....my heart....whooaaa....

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
lol coz he looked good or because he won? ;)

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
:bounce: TOMMY! :bounce:

did anyone see his match against Sanchez? it was soooooooooooooooo dramatic, emotionally draining!lol! he was serving at 6-5, 40-15 in the final set when he double faulted 3 straight times! i thought i was gonna have a heart-attack! on his next match point Sanchez hit an incredible passing shot, but finally Tommy came through a few points later with a big first serve!:)

but i worry cos he said afterwards that his arm was a "pain in the butt" this month!:(

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oooops. I congratulated him all over the board, but forgot to do it in his forum. :eek:

WELL DONE TOMMY!!! :kiss:

Yes, I saw the entire match. Everything you said goes double for me. It was so much like that Safin/Kiefer match yesterday, only more nerve-wrecking. But our boy pulled through and that's what matters. :)

I think he said his pain comes and goes so it might not be too bad in the next match. :(

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
i hope he gets some good rest for his next round. he has a tough match against Karol Kucera, a former top 10 player who is very tricky. and in the 3rd round he could face Thomas Enqvist!:eek:

Good Luck, Tommy Boy!;)

·
16,844 Posts
i couldn't believe that after blowing away the 2 match points, he makes a third double fault!!! scheisse!!! he got really lucky there, Sanchez played very well.
i wish him all the best in his next round.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
:wavey: Mrs. B ! we don't see ya enough over here in the Tommy forum.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Did you see Tommy warming up :hearts: :hearts: :lick: He was so sexy in his new shirt! He had to change it because it wasn't allowd but Nike want to get it true! It was a shirt without, damn how do you call it :confused: , those things arround his sexy arms :cool:

I really hope it's getting true because it would make male tennis even more sexy :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Good luck Tommy in the next round!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Tommy looks great in green...but I liked the sleeveless shirt better;)

But these marathon matches are killing my poor nerves....I hope he gets an easier time with Kucera.

Good luck Tommy!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

·
16,844 Posts
Leo, i'll try to drop by here more often in the future. As you know i'm an avid fan of RF but i do appreciate other player's game, too. And Tommy is a good Kraut. He's even buddies with Rogi, i think, on the tour. Not to mention that he's a cutie, too. ;)
I wish him all the best.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Haas's fashion sense fails to impress organisers
NEW YORK, Aug 28 (Reuters) - German heartthrob Tommy Haas is enjoying a lot of media exposure as grand slam fever grips the Big Apple - maybe just a bit too much exposure.

The German began warming up before his first-round match on Wednesday at the U.S. Open wearing a white sleeveless sweatshirt.

But while the snow-white garment would have passed Wimbledon's notoriously-draconian dress code with flying colours, it fell foul in fashion-conscious New York.

A blue-shirted tournament official strode towards the laid-back German just prior to his encounter with Spain's David Sanchez on the Louis Armstrong court and asked him to switch to more acceptable attire.

Seconds later the chastened third seed returned to the court in a toned-down traditional green sports shirt for his first round match.

International Tennis Federation rules state that: "Customarily acceptable tennis attire shall be worn as determined by each respectable grand slam.

"Sweatshirts, gym shorts, dress shirts, T-shirts or any other inappropriate attire shall not be worn during a match (including the warm-ups)."

While U.S. Open officials failed to appreciate Haas's obvious talents, a bare-chested Haas was splashed across New York newspapers on Monday.

The New York Post featured the 24-year-old posing topless with his hands strategically placed on his girlfriend Alessandra to maintain her modesty.
~~~~~

i think it's ridiculous that Serena is allowed to have her ass hanging out in that revealing outfit but Tommy can't even wear a t-shirt without sleeves?!:confused: :eek: :mad:

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Haas pulls out five-set victory after shirt flap
AP Photo
More Photos

By HOWARD FENDRICH
AP Tennis Writer
August 28, 2002

NEW YORK (AP) -- Little was ordinary about the start of the U.S. Open for third-seeded Tommy Haas, from being ordered to change out of a sleeveless shirt to three straight double faults in the fifth set.

On a day that past champions Pete Sampras and Serena Williams won, while one-hit wonders Jelena Dokic and David Nalbandian lost -- all in straight sets -- Haas and his foil, David Sanchez, produced enough theater for a round's worth of matches.

Haas pulled out a 7-6 (1), 3-6, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 victory Wednesday that was a struggle for a player usually most comfortable on hard courts. If he can deal with right arm pain that's been hounding him, Haas could be a title threat.

Just how close did the 61st-ranked Sanchez come to pulling off the upset? He actually won more points: 156 to 155.

But their encounter will be remembered most for a prematch talking-to Haas received that put him in sartorial territory previously occupied by Anne White (remember the skintight nylon leotard at Wimbledon in 1985?) and Andre Agassi (remember the denim shorts and Day-Glo bicycle tights?).

Haas showed up for Wednesday's first-round match wearing a white muscle shirt, that revealed ... his shoulders.

Gasp!

It wasn't nearly as provocative as the zip-down, stop-at-the-thighs black Lycra outfit Williams is wearing. Or, for that matter, Anna Kournikova's midriff-revealing getup. Nonetheless, it caught the attention of chair umpire Norm Chryst. He alerted tournament referee Brian Earley, who turned on the TV, looked at Haas, and ruled the shirt had to go.

Earley cited Article III, Section C of the Grand Slam rulebook: ``Every player shall dress and present himself for play in a professional manner. Clean and customarily acceptable tennis attire shall be worn as determined by each respective Grand Slam.''

``I was given the job of making a determination on the spot. I decided it wasn't 'customarily acceptable,' '' Earley said. ``It's a gut reaction.''

Haas -- who said sleeves annoy him -- had polo shirts with him and wore those for the 3-hour, 23-minute match.

``On the women's tour, you see Serena and all those other ladies wearing tight stuff,'' Haas said. ``It's something new, brings something else to the game.''

Right now, men's tennis could use a bit of that if it's going to compete with a women's game that has more intriguing story lines and more-marketed personalities. The WTA Tour isn't shy about letting sex appeal help sell its product.

Or, as Earley put it: ``Women's attire has gone all over the place.''

``There's no question we've been hearing a lot of not-so-flattering things about the men's game, compared to the ladies'. Maybe it's an effort to do some different things,'' Sampras said. ``That's not the way to do it, in my opinion.''

Told what happened to Haas, Williams said: ``You're kidding!''

Earley noted Williams' outfit was approved for the Open a month ago. Early wouldn't say whether Haas' shirt might have passed muster had it been submitted ahead of time -- nor whether Haas will be allowed to wear it for his second-round match.

It's been a trying 2002 for Haas, most significantly because his parents were hospitalized in June after they were hit by a car while riding a motorcycle. He skipped Wimbledon to be with them.

On court, he's had tendinitis in his right arm, which led him to skip the semifinals at an Open tuneup last week.

Still, Haas can't be discounted here. He's twice been a semifinalist at the Australian Open and reached the fourth round at the past two U.S. Opens.

Sanchez isn't exactly the caliber of player who should present problems. He has a 14-20 match record in 2002, and never has been past the quarterfinals at a tour-level event since turning pro in 1997.

Yet Sanchez moved out to a 3-0 lead in the fifth set. In doing so, he probably expended too much of what was a dwindling supply of energy. That was evident when he didn't bend low enough to get to Haas' forehand and whiffed on a shot, setting up a service break.

Haas seemingly took control by going up 6-5 in the final set, converting his fifth break point of the 11th game when Sanchez's shot caught the net tape and flew out. After the game, both players' cramping legs were massaged by trainers.

Haas then served for the match and quickly earned two match points at 40-15.

He double faulted to 40-30, walked to the other half of the baseline and double faulted to deuce, then double faulted to break point.

Ugh!

An overhead erased the break point, and Haas eventually held it together long enough to win.

``I was lucky to get through that,'' Haas said.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the articles. :)

I didn't even realize there were so many unacceptable outfits including a t-shirt. :confused: This is ridiculous. And it's not like Haas was making a fashion statement or trying to promote the ATP (lol @ Sampras). I can understand his aversion to sleeves. I hate to excercise with sleeves. It constricts my movements and when it gets sweaty it's really annoying.

He should have submitted his shirt for evaluation in advance??? That is absurd. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Leo7 said:

"Sweatshirts, gym shorts, dress shirts, T-shirts or any other inappropriate attire shall not be worn during a match (including the warm-ups)."
I SO want to see the boys play in dress shirts :D

You know something is terribly wrong if he could have worn it at Wimbly but not at the Open! :eek:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts