Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
More of a battle than i anticipated. denis played his usual style. kevin was below his standard. at times the kevin of old was showing up. thiem will like his chances in the next round. kevin's played 2 5 setters in his first 3 rounds

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Only saw a bit because stupid TSN kept showing Rafa's match. Ugh! Wanted to see this one, but from the score he really fought hard.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Entertaining stuff in the fifth. Too bad shapo didn't pull that one out, love his fight.

·
justice for all
13,111 Posts
Denis showed great fighting spirit trying to claw his way back until the very end in the 5th set. This match could have gone either way. If not for this robbery at BP in the fifth who knows who would win it in the end...

The crowd were loving it and loving Denis though the final outcome is disappointing.

Denis will rise. His time is coming.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
He beat Chardy in 3 sets so that's not right.

Anyways, Anderson once again showing mental strength....Shapo was chomping at the bits to break him back in that final set, but he held strong.

Denis played his best match at USO here and could have won. Sucks he couldn't defend his R4 points, but he had a decent showing IMO...better than I expected.

Good match.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Very exciting match in the last set.

Such a shame there was a horrible overrule when Shapo had a bp on Anderson serve in the 5th. More experienced player won. Unfortunately it will be probably Anderson - Nadal qf which is totally not interesting for me.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
More of a battle than i anticipated. denis played his usual style. kevin was below his standard. at times the kevin of old was showing up. thiem will like his chances in the next round. kevin's played 2 5 setters in his first 3 rounds
Thiem has a shockingly bad record against Kandy. Dominic also had 2 very tough matches. Kandy is firm favourite IMO.

As for this match, Shapo had his chances but Kandy ultimately more clutch and played bigger points far better. Young kid will be back.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There is one call I'm not happy about, Denis BP chance and the linesman called it out when the review is clearly way in. It went in favor for Kevin with a replay point. That point, Denis had a upper hand in that point. I hate it when anyone had an upper hand only to be corrected by the chair umpire with linesman's eyes being so oblivious at a big point in tennis in general that tend to favor the veterans. It is not even inches out, it's way in right on the baseline, not even close. Had he converted in that point, we'd be not talking about the match right now. I'm liking Shapo's chance on winning the major very soon. He clearly has the stamina to outlast his opponents in a bo5 match which is a good sign with young players' stamina issues. If Denis can get his serve straighten out with his change of serve motion in next 5 months before AO.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Anderson has a penchant for winning tough 5-setters these days.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Only saw a bit because stupid TSN kept showing Rafa's match. Ugh! Wanted to see this one, but from the score he really fought hard.
There are many other TSN channels that is showing Shapo and Nadal on other channel. It has been already announced a day before on which channel TSN shows the match-up on their tennis page.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
Frustrating result but I'm proud of Denis upping his game from the monstrosity that was the first 2 rounds and was able to challenge Anderson to a really tight match that could have gone either way. Frustrating lack of concentration early in the 5th set as IMO he was the better player in that set just wasn't focused from the outset of it and got broken early.

Oh well, on to bigger and brighter things. Didn't expect him to win, so as disappointing as it is I'm just happy he brought a solid game and din't continue the shit game he was playing lately.

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
Shapo, what a choke :sad: how can you miss that many BPs in a final set. Was way better player.

Anderson, no words, 32 years old, terrible game, and denying talented youngesters onto further rounds at slams with ugly botting.

Furious.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Shapo, what a choke :sad: how can you miss that many BPs in a final set. Was way better player.

Anderson, no words, 32 years old, terrible game, and denying talented youngesters onto further rounds at slams with good serving which is as much a part of tennis as any other shot.

Furious.
Fixed, and I don't even like Anderson.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Good win for Kandy. Denis needs another 18 months to sharpen up and I'd like to think he should be at top 4 level.

Think Kandy will take out Dom next round and suddenly he's in yet another grand slam quarter final. I know he's not to everyone's taste but he's become very consistant player at the slams now. Probably one of the more interesting servebots to watch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This match was just really fun to watch. Some of the shots Denis hit were insane, especially the backhands and returns. Sorry he lost and we won’t get another match from Denis.

On a side note, I did feel a bit bad for Kevin and his wife and team. I know everyone likes the underdog but I thought the tennis saavy New York crowd would have shown more love to last year’s US Open finalist and this year’s Wimbledon finalist. But the crowd was clearly behind the teenager.

·
Registered
57,595 Posts
Shapovalov was so robbed by that 5th set call. No idea if he would have won in the end, but he was in control of that point, would likely have been a rebreak

·
Registered
65 Posts
Shapovalov was so robbed by that 5th set call. No idea if he would have won in the end, but he was in control of that point, would likely have been a rebreak
Denis definitely was in control of that break point. Kevin basically just pushed Denis’s deep shot over the net and it was sitting mid-court ready to be smacked. Really good chance he would have hit a winner and rebroken. I’m sure the line judge feels horrible. But nobody’s perfect. The guy made a mistake.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Denis definitely was in control of that break point. Kevin basically just pushed Denis’s deep shot over the net and it was sitting mid-court ready to be smacked. Really good chance he would have hit a winner and rebroken. I’m sure the line judge feels horrible. But nobody’s perfect. The guy made a mistake.
It's still no excuse for assuming that it was out. I think he was daydreaming and assumed it was out. That old man. Oops. He was guessing at that point. If he doesn't see the ball was clearly out, it's better not to call anything, let chair umpire overrule or player's challenge. Nothing wrong with that unless you see it's clearly out then make a call. It's not even an inch in, it's way on the baseline, the middle of it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts