Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unusual to see Kei at the receiving end of a retirement. Started off very well while Monfils was a bit all over the shop but Monfils played better margins while Kei's serving and shots started to get a bit loose and extended rallies well in the second with some good defensive plays, and had chances to break for a *5-2 lead. Kei held after 12 minutes. The first pt of the next game was decisive, as Monfils hit a drop volley that Kei hit to the body and Monfils deflected it with his FH but hurt his wrist in the process. After that Monfils became more erratic, wanting to finish shots quicker and serve lost it's power, broken twice in succession before deciding it was too much.

Bad luck to Monfils, he could have certainly made it a contest the way he played in the second set.

I wish Kei could have got a bit more practise though! Match with Diego should be great but he'll need to serve much better, very wayward today.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Monfils was frustrating the hell out of Kei in the 2nd set, errorless tennis, hitting deep balls, then did something to his wrist. Sad way to end but meaningful for Kei who will need all his energy to beat a murderer's row of opponents. Monfils had no chance to deep if he was carrying an injury and with his current form. Kei looks better than he did in Toronto/Cincinatti, and looked very good in the first set.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sad for Monfils but I'm glad for Nishikori and for the tournaments. All the top guys advance, many possible clashes starting the next to rounds already! Can't wait to see a possible Zverev-Nishikori matchup in R4

·
10,275 Posts
Probably jarred his upper wrist ligament.

I tuned in right when it happened and it seemed like a pretty minor occurrence, but he couldn't hit anything with power after that volley.

Best of luck to Kei.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Unusual to see Kei at the receiving end of a retirement. Started off very well while Monfils was a bit all over the shop but Monfils played better margins while Kei's serving and shots started to get a bit loose and extended rallies well in the second with some good defensive plays, and had chances to break for a *5-2 lead. Kei held after 12 minutes. The first pt of the next game was decisive, as Monfils hit a drop volley that Kei hit to the body and Monfils deflected it with his FH but hurt his wrist in the process. After that Monfils became more erratic, wanting to finish shots quicker and serve lost it's power, broken twice in succession before deciding it was too much.

Bad luck to Monfils, he could have certainly made it a contest the way he played in the second set.

I wish Kei could have got a bit more practise though! Match with Diego should be great but he'll need to serve much better, very wayward today.
Come on, he'll get plenty of practice against Diego. It's not like he's facing Zverev/Cilic yet. You have to take the breaks any way they come. I honestly can't remember a time anyone retired against Kei except Andujar at this very same stage of the tournament in his magical 2014 run. This is a very difficult draw to navigate through.

·
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come on, he'll get plenty of practice against Diego. It's not like he's facing Zverev/Cilic yet. You have to take the breaks any way they come. I honestly can't remember a time anyone retired against Kei except Andujar at this very same stage of the tournament in his magical 2014 run. This is a very difficult draw to navigate through.
true, this draw is some nightmare, could match 2014 potentially. Zverev, Cilic and Djokovic. The first is already a nightmare and the courts do look a bit slow and high bounce too.

only thing is he'll need to return better, Diego won't give him return practice.

·
3,235 Posts
I don't understand why y'all are acting like this is a nightmare draw for Nishikori. He basically has a free walk to the 4th round where he meets the easiest top 4 opponent and then Cilic in the QF, who's beatable. Djokovic/Federer is tough but it's either that or Nadal/Delpo so no easy rides from then on anyway.

If he can't capitalize on this draw it's his own fault.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
true, this draw is some nightmare, could match 2014 potentially. Zverev, Cilic and Djokovic. The first is already a nightmare and the courts do look a bit slow and high bounce too.

only thing is he'll need to return better, Diego won't give him return practice.
It'll be easier to return Diego's serve than Zverev/Cilic. IT's the confidence in his shots that needs to return and mental fortitude. I really believe Kei not falling behind a double break in the 2nd set changed the entire complexion of tonight's match. He was mentally strong to hold then when Gael was playing lights out and then Gael retires soon after. You have to create your own luck and against Digeo he needs to dial it in on serve and return. He will get some chances to break.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I don't understand why y'all are acting like this is a nightmare draw for Nishikori. He basically has a free walk to the 4th round where he meets the easiest top 4 opponent and then Cilic in the QF, who's beatable. Djokovic/Federer is tough but it's either that or Nadal/Delpo so no easy rides from then on anyway.

If he can't capitalize on this draw it's his own fault.
Monfils is a former SFist and top 10 player. HE is a really dangerous player.
Diego was a QFist last year and is a top 15 ranked player. Bagelled his last opponent.
Zverev has an HC masters and is a top 4 ranked player. His slam woes will end sooner than later and he looks dangerous.
Cilic just double bagelled a guy. He is the only one whose top level matches that of the big 3 + stan.
Novak/Roger ...nothing to be said here.
Nadal ...probably the 4th easiest opponent on this list and reigning champion.

It's a hard draw if he faces all those guys, thats essentially 5 top 10 guys.

·
3,235 Posts
Monfils is a former SFist and top 10 player. HE is a really dangerous player.
Diego was a QFist last year and is a top 15 ranked player. Bagelled his last opponent.
Zverev has an HC masters and is a top 4 ranked player. His slam woes will end sooner than later and he looks dangerous.
Cilic just double bagelled a guy. He is the only one whose top level matches that of the big 3 + stan.
Novak/Roger ...nothing to be said here.
Nadal ...probably the 4th easiest opponent on this list and reigning champion.

It's a hard draw if he faces all those guys, thats essentially 5 top 10 guys.
That's all on paper though. Monfils is done competing at that level. Nishikori is way better on HC than Schwartzman, not even close. Zverev should be a tough opponent but he sucks in slams. Cilic is a tough customer but hasn't been that great lately. Plus bageling low-ranked players is apparently pretty common these days :lol:

After QF, yes things get tough, but as I said that's just how it is--except for USO 2017 of course.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Nishikori plays pretty well in hot humid conditions. Miami and USO are two of his best tournaments. That advantage will come in handy while others are retiring from the heat.

·
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's all on paper though. Monfils is done competing at that level. Nishikori is way better on HC than Schwartzman, not even close. Zverev should be a tough opponent but he sucks in slams. Cilic is a tough customer but hasn't been that great lately. Plus bageling low-ranked players is apparently pretty common these days :lol:

After QF, yes things get tough, but as I said that's just how it is--except for USO 2017 of course.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Nishikori plays pretty well in hot humid conditions. Miami and USO are two of his best tournaments. That advantage will come in handy while others are retiring from the heat.
well it's not an easy draw (will play past champions in QF on, Zverev is still tough even if it is at slams, though the Lendl card might work in Kei's favour as Kei has Chang who was also there when Kei upset Murray :devil:)

but I can relate, Kei's ranking is too low to expect 'cakewalk', and Dimitrov got the short straw facing Stan twice, that is harsh!

I would have preferred Del Potro rather than Zverev perhaps even if JMDP is better slam contender than Zverev based solely on matchup differences as JMDP won't hurt Kei much in BH exchanges.
Kei has not played in the day time yet which is odd because they ALWAYS show him during the day in early rounds. I guess they are short of marquee prime time matches.

·
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to see Kei step up this time. I know he's had his injury woes but it's time to put his experience and tennis IQ into use and get a run going.
I hope so too because I'm about halfway to seeing Kei out the door in terms of his career. Extend what he managed at Monte Carlo (which was amazing already, didn't see Kei manage to make finals after hitting only 2 FH winners, being passing shots, against Berdych in R1). Of course I'm fully prepared to see him fail and even badly in R16, or QF if he gets past Zverev, but he needs to inject fuel into his body and mind and show that he still has some good tennis left in him. Maybe the surface and slam he played his best level at helps him a bit. For him to say he could have won Wimbledon if he had played better against Djokovic :spit:, well I will need to see that...

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I hope so too because I'm about halfway to seeing Kei out the door in terms of his career. Extend what he managed at Monte Carlo (which was amazing already, didn't see Kei manage to make finals after hitting only 2 FH winners, being passing shots, against Berdych in R1). Of course I'm fully prepared to see him fail and even badly in R16, or QF if he gets past Zverev, but he needs to inject fuel into his body and mind and show that he still has some good tennis left in him. Maybe the surface and slam he played his best level at helps him a bit. For him to say he could have won Wimbledon if he had played better against Djokovic :spit:, well I will need to see that...
He said that? LOL. Well better to be delusional (even if it was only for the press), than gunshy and timid. I think he knows he's only got a couple of years left to make a mark, another long term injury and it's more or less game over. But really, there are some fundamental flaws with his FH, it's hard to tell now because he's winning but it gets really ugly when he's not. I really do think holding at *1-4 in the 2nd set helped his confidence. That was a gruelling 12 minute game that more or less decided the outcome of the match. He needs to take these mental victories forward and not be "tired" by them. A player like Nadal would have rallied mentally on a hold like that.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts

Have you seen him on outdoor HC this year? HE's been terrible and has a losing record if you don't count USO. Diego's walked through his opposition so far and should be secure in the knowledge that he's reached the QF stage here before. He's not going to bend over. It's a tough draw any way you slice it, by matchup, quality of opponents, form, etc...

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I really fear the match against Diego to be honest, sure Kei is more talented but his opponent will fight like a lion.

·
52,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really fear the match against Diego to be honest, sure Kei is more talented but his opponent will fight like a lion.
yep, expect it to be a tussle. Diego took a set both of their previous meetings on clay. Intrigued how it will play on hard. Diego has improved immensely on HC too and had a brave run last season.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Less fragile weakling won.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts