·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rallye of the tournament right here.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Strange match. If we look at the stats, Novak completely dominated Edmund. It should have been a straightforward straight sets win. I guess Edmund simply had all the luck on his side today and Novak had none, but it still didn't matter in the end.

I’m also really glad that Novak is getting these hot/humid days out of the way early. The weather should be much better for the second week.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well, it was messy, but a win is a win. Still can't believe that it was edmund who ended novaks TB streak...

·
Registered
17,960 Posts
A very mediocre match by Djokovic.
Edmund was sharp in 1st set TB, but collapsed soon enough in 2nd set. By the 3rd set he was trailing by a double break... but Novak was clowning away to serve it out.
It was a one-way street in the 4th, so it almost became a breadstick.

Humid and hot conditions which Djokovic doesn't like generally... 2 years ago Fucsovics also caught him off guard in 1st set... similar vibes here.

Reactions: DinnerWarrior

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
tbh i'm absolutely disgusted with edmund here. he had the heavily injured 33 year old veteran playing at a mere 20 percent on the ropes after first set, but couldn't capitalize. what a disgusting human being this faker is, every match win and title victory since the resume of the tour should be asteriksed and shall not count in his resume. pathetic.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
As usual Edmund put up somewhat of a fight at the start. No breaks in the first set but a solid TB from Kyle. After that Djokovic took control slowly but surely.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Nice pushing and collapse to beat Edmund, won't be enough against Tsitsipas though.

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
Copy of their Wimbledon match without the double bounce.
Novak played extra cautious and defensive and as consequence he spend extra hour on the court than he was suppose to.
Also when Edmund's level went down, Novak shifted into lower gear ?!?!?! Thankfully he realized that he needs to stay constantly in 3rd gear or so to prevail so he refocused.
I mean I know that he tries to preserve energy for second week, but thought he learned his lesson at 2018 Wimby that he needs to be more aggressive in this matchup.

Well 25-0 in 2020 and 28-0 overall

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Humid and hot conditions which Djokovic doesn't like generally... 2 years ago Fucsovics also caught him off guard in 1st set... similar vibes here.
That was the 2nd set (I was there that day), but yeah, it was a very similar kind of match and feeling today.

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
Nice pushing and collapse to beat Edmund, won't be enough against Tsitsipas though.
NOvak pushed twice as much winners than Edmund

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
How is Djokovic still able to push like this at 33? Pushing as hard as ever. What is he on?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Edmund was never going to sustain the level of the first set. After that it was routine for The One. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Not the greatest level but got it done - passes Lendl with 74 USO match wins

1 - 20 of 59 Posts