Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a interesting match in times (1st set, 2nd set).
Korda ist really talented, he is tall and thin, but moves quite well for 1.94 metres.
He is a right-hander (sometimes reminds me of a left-hander from his technique).
There are many promising aspects in his game: Let's see if he will further improve.
Shapovalov - who is only 1 year older than Korda - played mature and was able to break late in set 1 & 3.
4th set was really onesided and fast: Korda was not able to hold his level from sets 1 & 2.
It will be a lot of work mentally and physically for Korda to compete also in best-of-5 matches.
Shapovalov can have a solid tournament (against Fritz it will be 50-50 in my opinion).

Reactions: Arrow

·
justice for all
15,120 Posts
Good win for Denis despite a set lost. He has a really nice draw so anything less than a QF would be a disappointment. Keep that up, Denis!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Korda played really well. Shapo didn't look sharp until the 3rd set. Massive amount of UEs. Saved by his serve. Not a great match.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Shapo gave me a little scare there but I am glad he ultimately reached the second round. He at times plays great, but inconsistent.

Reactions: Denis denis

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Shapo's UE's were a little high but takeaways are: ROS is vastly improved, Serve looks great, when he stays patient in rallies he most often wins, net game improving.
I agree. But, where is Mikhail Youzney? He wasn't in Cincy and he doesn't seem to be with Denis here. Also, his usual physio seems to be gone as well. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree. But, where is Mikhail Youzney? He wasn't in Cincy and he doesn't seem to be with Denis here. Also, his usual physio seems to be gone as well. Anyone know why?
I didn't see him either but I wouldn't worry too much, here's a tweet showing him practicing with each other (and Safin) at the end of July and after the Cillic match Shapo was giving credit to Youzhny for working on his footwork.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Youzhny will be there when it counts. I don't think his role is to prop Denis up during matches that much. I do wonder about Stefano de Pirro. He's always been there. And I have no idea who the guy sitting with his mom is. Maybe some kind of change.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Youzhny will be there when it counts. I don't think his role is to prop Denis up during matches that much. I do wonder about Stefano de Pirro. He's always been there. And I have no idea who the guy sitting with his mom is. Maybe some kind of change.
Someone said it's Braydon Schnurr, another Can tennis player. I'm not schnurr, lol. YOuzny is not there, neither is the physio. I guess they opted out. I don't think it's a change but just a covid thing.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Saw the last three sets. Korda was better than I thought but thankfully Denis got his shit together and his superior game slowly took charge. He really has acquired patience in the rallies! He has a great draw here, should make it to the 4th round, and could take out Kraj or Goff too, well then it would be Djok in the quarters ....

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
One thing is for sure, Korda won't win a grand slam like his father did 22 years ago.
He may be talented, but has not got the physicality for such gruelling Bo5 matches.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Very impressed by both players, and Korda looks like he belongs, like that serve and volley which he deployed often and the expression on his face. Kid wants it and knows he can do it. Fierce yet calm. Shapo staved off a young tiger with ambition. Youhzny should be there. Important slam for Shapo.

Reactions: Arrow

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Good win for Denis despite a set lost. He has a really nice draw so anything less than a QF would be a disappointment. Keep that up, Denis!
Not so easy draw. Next Kwon, who might cause an upset. Then Fritz or Simon and in the last 16, probably Krajinovic who is on fire (or David Goffin but I don't see David beating the Serb in a possible third round). His route to the QF is far from being easy.

·
justice for all
15,120 Posts
Not so easy draw. Next Kwon, who might cause an upset. Then Fritz or Simon and in the last 16, probably Krajinovic who is on fire (or David Goffin but I don't see David beating the Serb in a possible third round). His route to the QF is far from being easy.
You are right but I always think of El Shapo as a potential slam winner in the future that’s why I kinda see him making QF-s in slams on regular basis by now. Maybe I am deluded...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
First 2 sets were quite competitive. Korda played well. Dennis needs to cut down UEs to go deep in the tournament.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts