Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Weather Channel is forecasting that Hurricane Irene will be the worst ever to hit New York City and will cause massive power outages, much transit disruption, loss of lives, and widespread flooding from storm surges (on magnitude of Katrina's damage to New Orleans) when it arrives on Sunday.

Also, the US Open site in Flushing Meadows, Queens, NY is in a high risk flood zone (built over a reclaimed swamp), see yellow zone between Flushing HS and Forest Hill HS on NY Evacuation Map at http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/pdf/hurricane_map_english.pdf

Mayor Bloomberg has ordered mandatory evacuation orders for all residents in low lying areas.

The US Open was delayed for a week due to Hurricane Donna in 1960 and for 6 days by an unnamed strong Hurricane in 1938, so there's precedent.

If it's just rain, the tournament could lose a day, but this hurricane sounds like a more serious threat to the Open, especially if it takes many days for flooding to recede, power to be restored, fans/workers to return, and mass transit to be repaired. We can just hope for the best.

:confused:

·
Registered
29,206 Posts
Terrible to say the least. And I'm not talking about the tennis.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Hope everyone living in New York will be alright, was just watching a documentary the other day about how damaging a hurricane in NYC would be :sad:

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Great opportunity for champ to rest his shoulder then add slam #4 to his resume sometime in October?

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Great opportunity for champ to rest his shoulder then add slam #4 to his resume sometime in October?
You're looking at how this possible disaster may affect the tennis and more accurately, your fave, rather than the actual consequences of the potential disaster itself.. well you're a true tennis enthusiast, I'll give you that.

But yes, the heavens do seem to be favouring Nole and his recovery, although he could probably go through the first couple of rounds with one shoulder anyway (exaggeration.. or maybe not)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mayor Bloomberg has just revoked permits for all outdoor events on Sunday in NYC which presumedly includes the US Open.

The storm is 430 miles wide and growing in intensity as of Thursday 11 PM.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Has a slam ever been postponed (not including times of war)?

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Best wishes go out to anyone and everyone potentially affected, including my own city :sobbing:

It's times like this that tennis takes a step back and people focus on real issues.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Best wishes go out to anyone and everyone potentially affected, including my own city :sobbing:

It's times like this that tennis takes a step back and people focus on real issues.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. You and all of the other NY rimmers! How close are you to sea level?

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
I don't live in NYC, although I was born there and have a lot of family there, but thanks for the prayers, they are appreciated. I'm worried for my peeps, I'm really concerned about them. I live in Richmond, Virginia, so that's actually as bad if not worse since that's pretty close to where the storm will first hit. The only question is whether the storm will track slightly more west, if it does, then a lot of damage can be spared.

The average in Richmond is 170 ft. above sea level on average. Our biggest threat is the wind more than the rain.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I don't live in NYC, although I was born there and have a lot of family there, but thanks for the prayers, they are appreciated. I'm worried for my peeps, I'm really concerned about them. I live in Richmond, Virginia, so that's actually as bad if not worse since that's pretty close to where the storm will first hit. The only question is whether the storm will track slightly more west, if it does, then a lot of damage can be spared.

The average in Richmond is 170 ft. above sea level on average.
I thought the use of an "emoticon" would eliminate the subtlety of my post.

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
Fist an earthquake and now a hurricane on the east coast. I knew it would take an act of god to prevent Nadull being handed another slam but this might be a bit much :tape:

·
F***ing have it
17,596 Posts
Play it in Cincy. Period.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts