Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking the live scores to see how some of the juniors are doing, and nothing was there. I looked at completed matches and a lot seemed to be missing. So I went to the Schedule page and I see that many matches were cancelled / postponed.

So what is the cause? I have looked everywhere -- including Google and the US Open website -- and found NOTHING. Earthquake? Godzilla? Rain? Heat? Umpire protest?

Someone should tell the US Open management, since they don't seem to have noticed. All they have on their news page, Twitter and Facebook is a bunch of news about womens' matches.

Am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. My bad for giving up after looking through 500 Facebook posts and 100 Tweets. I guess they don't consider it to be "news."

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Celsius is the scale whole world uses for air and water temperatures. Scientist use Kelvin ,which is pretty much the same,only zero point is absolute zero and ice melts at +273 K,water boils at 373 K. Only British and Americans use still Fahrenheit. They also use inch, foot, yard, mile, pound and pint, which is pretty stupid IMO.

It is time for Americans to jump from 19th century to 21st and understand mystery everyone else already understood - metric system .

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Celsius is the scale whole world uses for air and water temperatures. Scientist use Kelvin ,which is pretty much the same,only zero point is absolute zero and ice melts at +273 K,water boils at 373 K. Only British and Americans use still Fahrenheit. They also use inch, foot, yard, mile, pound and pint, which is pretty stupid IMO.

It is time for Americans to jump from 19th century to 21st and understand mystery everyone else already understood - metric system .
You completely missed my point. My point wasn’t that it was weird that the US Open used Celsius because it sucks—it is clearly a better measurement system. My point was that it was weird that the US Open talkedin celsius when virtually no American uses that system and the entire country relies on Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
“In metric, one milliliter of water occupies one cubic centimeter, weighs one gram, and requires one calorie of energy to heat up by one degree centigrade—which is 1 percent of the difference between its freezing point and its boiling point. An amount of hydrogen weighing the same amount has exactly one mole of atoms in it.

Whereas in the American system, the answer to ‘How much energy does it take to boil a room-temperature gallon of water?’ is ‘Go fuck yourself,’ because you can’t directly relate any of those quantities.”

Case closed. :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
To be honest, the Kelvin defintion is about to be changed in november. Using the triple point of water isn't really a the best idea either since it all depends of external factors (Lord Kelvin would have probably been a Noletard), water pureness, air pression...

The current definition isn't working so well for temperatures below 100°K or above 2500°K.
The future definition of Kelvin will be related to quantum physics, as most of the others 7 SI base units.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Fahrenheit is a more precise measurement of temperature, than Celsius is. If you wanted to get the same precision that Fahrenheit gives you with a whole number (for instance 85 degrees), you'd need to give the equivalent Celsius reading with decimal places.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
So it's still incredibly hot today?

I heard it was cooling down for the weekend.

USO site has virtually no info about weather. Terrible. All the other slams tell you what's going on with the weather.

P.S. I grew up in F but live now in C, cannot really say one is better than the other. I prefer inches and pounds to cm and kilos though. It crowds the brain to have two measuring systems at work in there ... I prefer serve speeds in MPH, but distances I walk and speed limits in kms.

Go rafa too bad Djok is not playing first.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

USO site has virtually no info about weather. Terrible. All the other slams tell you what's going on with the weather.

P.S. I grew up in F but live now in C, cannot really say one is better than the other. I prefer inches and pounds to cm and kilos though. It crowds the brain to have two measuring systems at work in there ... I prefer serve speeds in MPH, but distances I walk and speed limits in kms.

23°C currently in NY, cloudy, possible rain at 5 PM
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/new-york-ny/10007/weather-forecast/349727

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

In fact, the night will be more humid

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
To be honest, the Kelvin defintion is about to be changed in november. Using the triple point of water isn't really a the best idea either since it all depends of external factors (Lord Kelvin would have probably been a Noletard),
:lol:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To be honest, the Kelvin defintion is about to be changed in november. Using the triple point of water isn't really a the best idea either since it all depends of external factors (Lord Kelvin would have probably been a Noletard), water pureness, air pression...

The current definition isn't working so well for temperatures below 100°K or above 2500°K.
The future definition of Kelvin will be related to quantum physics, as most of the others 7 SI base units.
Isn't the internet fun?

I now understand that the US Open media team never felt the need to inform anyone (well, me) that several matches were cancelled because the science was too complex for most people (well, me) to understand.

However, I still wish that there would have been a news item on the US Open news page with the headline, "Some matches have been cancelled today for reasons that are too complicated for idiots to understand, but never mind, because we don't think anyone cares anyway unless it involves the top four seeds."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts