Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will decline to participate at the US Open?

• Total voters
321 - 340 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
The victory will be much sweeter after another tough victory. Every US Open title so far was very special to me as his fan. Tough battles happened here, he nearly always got to the semis or finals. Still disappointed that he lost in 2012 (that damn wind..., seriously the only reason). And sadly in 2013 Nadal peaked more consistent. Djokovic had ups- and downs... Nadal broke him that year mentally and game-wise. And of course because its the last major of a season.
Nice synopsis of his history there. I would add the weather delayed SF in 2012, giving him one less day than Murray to prepare but then again, after the multiple beat-downs at AO, a little payback in their rivalry. Also vs Nadal, the draws in all of their matches were stacked against a younger less experienced Novak.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
i think the loosened restrictions will attract the players and the fact that the sites of the clay masters are bedning to top players whining im starting to anticipate most will go. the only really big names that are in doubt right now are nadal and wawrinka. kyrgios really cant afford to play after all he's said about this. he';ll look like the world's biggest hypocrite

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
I think for some on MTF, season resumption is more of a ‘nightmare’.
Looks like some on MTF are willing to sacrifice human lives just to see some tennis so their idol may can win another title. It's shocking. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Reactions: yellow grass

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
rumours around that tsonga, monfils and fognini are out. thats possibly 5 top 50 players out of the draw and all big names. but as long as they get most of the top 10 they wont care

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Wawrinka will not play Cinci and hence will not compete at the US Open. He is focussing on the clay season. He is the biggest name to drop out yet.

Nadal will not attend, too, of that I'm certain.

The US Open will be a joke of a tournament, an insult to the sport.

Cancel it now, you greedy fuckers! Its not the time to play a fucking tennis tournament in the US!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I think US will happen,but will be canceled in the process.And then this will be a true disaster.

But as a tennis fan i hope for the better.I want some tennis,i hope even if it will happen there is no new cv19 cases cause of it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Cincinnati entries (40 players out of the the 43 first ranked players signed in)
http://instagr.am/p/CDOpVZ-Byml/
So, it is a first sign that almost all the top players want to play the US Open, except the injured players (Federer, Fognini, Pouille, ...) but of course if Cincinnati and the US Open would take place, some players might still decide not to travel or have restrictions to travel

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
So, it is a first sign that almost all the top players want to play the US Open, except the injured players (Federer, Fognini, Pouille, ...) but of course if Cincinnati and the US Open would take place, some players might still decide not to travel or have restrictions to travel
It's a sign of nothing. At best, it's pleasing the sponsors by making things look like as if everything is normal and players have to subscribe before a certain date.

Kiki Bertens is on the women's list of the same event and just three hours ago she and her team said they are still not even considering travelling to the US of A because of the pandemic:

"Our view remains the same, with these conditions and under these circumstances, we are not going. Unless things would change rapidly, but then the players are not able to subscribe anymore" (source: Algemeen Dagblad)

Among others, Andreescu and Osaka are not even on the list.

I'm all for tennis to resume, but I don't understand why the post-USO Asian events including the WTA Finals have been cancelled already, but America and Europe are still trying to organise major events. It would be great, sure, but can someone explain to me the logic behind this?

Europe, North America and South America have always been following Asia with regards to the outbreak of the virus and dealing with it. Do the Asians know something the others don't?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
With the necessary precautions the US Open can and should take place

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
I'll post this here, too:

King Kyrgios outdoing Jesus by sacrificing himself for the greater good. Better start building the temples, people!

Seriously though, I think Kyrgios is full of shit and just not dedicated enough to the sport. But I still love him trashing other players and exposing the whole exho madness again. Sometimes, a person spills out the truth for the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As an Australian I am so proud of Nick, and also of Ash Barty, for withdrawing from the US Open. I realised recently how much of my time was taken up with following tennis for years. I love tennis and really miss watching it, but there is no need to hold any tournaments (with players travelling) until Covid19 is under more control world wide.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
.. This is the same Nick Kyrgios who with a really good draw at the US OPEN last year to make the semi's plays like a mug who doesn't give a fuck against Rublev in the 3rd round and couldn't wait to get off Arthur Ashe Stadium during his loss.

... He then says this in the last day or so '“It hurts me at my core not to be out there competing at one of the sports’ greatest arenas, Arthur Ashe Stadium''.... LOL!!!!... Oh yeah,you're just 'itching' to get out there Nick so you can yawn your way through a winable match again.

Get out of here clown.You don't give a rats you're not playing the US OPEN this year.You don't care about tennis that much remember.This is straight out virtue signalling PR rebuilding brownie points chasing Nick trying to come off as a saviour to the sport.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
BREAKING: Zverev urges for the US Open to be cancelled!

"It is crazy to hold the US Open right now", Zverev says. "It's not the right time to fly to the US"

RIP US Open

Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I'll post this here, too:

King Kyrgios outdoing Jesus by sacrificing himself for the greater good. Better start building the temples, people!

Seriously though, I think Kyrgios is full of shit and just not dedicated enough to the sport. But I still love him trashing other players and exposing the whole exho madness again. Sometimes, a person spills out the truth for the wrong reasons.
This guy has got a scary Jones/Koresh complex going on. Or maybe watching too much WWE’s Seth Messiah Rollins. Anything but serious tennis for the Aussie hunchback.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Zverev already said he is looking forward to the US Open. All he said was he would prefer it didn't happen, but nobody really cares what he prefers. 🤷🏻‍♂️ He's also misinformed. NY is not even badly affected. So..what's happening elsewhere in USA is irrelevant when it comes to Cincy/USO.

321 - 340 of 362 Posts