Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will decline to participate at the US Open?

• Total voters
301 - 320 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Still time to come to the reasonable side, people

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
NYC mayor and governor said it will happen. USTA said it will happen. Washington has nothing to do with New York.

·
Registered
423 Posts
From everything I’ve seen to date, the tournament will happen. The big question is who’s gonna play in it.

And I feel sorry in advance for the winner because it will always be looked on as a dubious victory. On the bright side, it will give MTFers something to fight, whine and bitch about for a good decade.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
USO is happening. The Federest in absolute ruins

Reactions: Bakano

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
the US open will happen. it might be the US open literally with either all or 90% american players but it will happen. the willingness of europeans to participate will depend on whether or not the players have to quarantine returning to europe. but, apparently they wont for madrid. personally i dont agree with that

i dont see any reason why athletes should be exempt from the rules the rest of society has to follow

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Novak is definitely playing. He's been training on a HC for the past two weeks. Since Novak will play, most of the top players will probably be there.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Novak is definitely playing. He's been training on a HC for the past two weeks. Since Novak will play, most of the top players will probably be there.
i dont see why his participation automatically means everyone will just follow and play. but i agree. he'd said he'd play as long as he didnt have to quarantine upon returning to europe because he wanted to play at least 1 clay event. since madrid wont force players to quarantine he'll play. i guess that could change..

kind of surprises me. i didnt think he'd be okay living in a bubble for 3 weeks away from his family

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Stan Wawrinka was recently seen practicing on clay too. A sigh of relief for Djokovic, I'd say.

US Open is going to look more like the below tweet, but that's fine. US is in economic turmoil. If US plans to rebuild its economy, of course, it expects its countrymen to step up to the plate. Fair enough. I do not see a problem with it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Even with the FFT moving their tournament unilaterally, it was done way back in mid-March. There was plenty of time for the USTA and the FFT to consult about possibly switching the dates of their slams so that European players could stay in Europe and play the clay season without worrying about the the two-week quarantine, and then, if they wanted to, they could fly to the US to play US hardcourt tournaments. That was never done, and now players are in an either/or scenario. And for Nadal, it's especially tricky as he's defending champion at both GS. Does he play the USO, and lose out on any clay court prep, which would leave him prone to an upset at the French Open, which everyone will put an asterisk by? Or does skip the USO HC season altogether and stay in Europe to play a full clay season?
The Communication between FFT/USTA and quite frankly both Professional Tours are horrendous to put it mildly.

ATP & WTA Players learning via Twitter (Social Media) that the Asian Swing is apparently cancelled! Really, really not good at all!

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
The USTA has bowed to Novak and Thiem's complaints about only 1 person on the players team being allowed to be with them at the US Open with 3 people per player now being allowed.

big surprise. top players bitch and the organization buckles.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
@swiss_tennisgod,
This entire Re-Start of the Tennis Season is becoming a FARCE. Asian Swing now cancelled. Will they freeze the Rankings again after two months of play? I said all along they should have scrubbed the 2020 Season and restart in 2021.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Unless Novak is injured again, he has no reason to worry about Wawrinka. Anyway, I think most of the top players will be there. I expect a very hard draw for Novak, as usual.
The victory will be much sweeter after another tough victory. Every US Open title so far was very special to me as his fan. Tough battles happened here, he nearly always got to the semis or finals. Still disappointed that he lost in 2012 (that damn wind..., seriously the only reason). And sadly in 2013 Nadal peaked more consistent. Djokovic had ups- and downs... Nadal broke him that year mentally and game-wise. And of course because its the last major of a season.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Stan Wawrinka was recently seen practicing on clay too. A sigh of relief for Djokovic, I'd say.

US Open is going to look more like the below tweet, but that's fine. US is in economic turmoil. If US plans to rebuild its economy, of course, it expects its countrymen to step up to the plate. Fair enough. I do not see a problem with it.

But you know that Djokovic wants to win them both. He must value them both equally. #20 is on the table. No wasting around, otherwise that's it.

301 - 320 of 417 Posts