Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will decline to participate at the US Open?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I opened another thread for this, since this discussions will be intense.

The US Open is confirmed to be happening, despite many players having their doubts, like Djokovic and Nadal. Also, King Kyrgios has a clear opinion what it is all about: money and greed.

There are two main problems:
  1. The virus that is still raging in parts of the US, especially in the South, were things get worse every day. Players would be isolated the whole time, with a minimal staff around.
  2. The thight schedule, with the French Open planned already to start at September 20th, only one week after the US Open finishes (!)
Simone Halep already confirmed that she will not participate. Who will follow? I added a poll where you can predict who of the top shots will decline to take part. Lets collect all the reactions of the players in this thread.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Djokovic and Rafa will NOT show up... Especially Rafa, he will put all of his time and energy into practicing on clay only in order to win the 2020 FO!!

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,416 Posts
Rafa is defending 2000 points here, I strongly doubt he will just let them go for nothing. As for Djokovic, and I say this as a huge fan, considering his latest antics, it’s best for him to keep quiet and show up. Ill leave it at that..

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a bit torn about Nadal. In a way, I feel Federers Slam record will be more in danger if he just focus on the FO... but maybe my beloved enemy wants to go all in, winning both tournaments back to back and causing an epic meltdown of me that will break the internet. We will see.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Who cares about USO when you have Adria Tour

Reactions: NextGenKing

·
Registered
21,321 Posts
Rafa is defending 2000 points here, I strongly doubt he will just let them go for nothing. As for Djokovic, and I say this as a huge fan, considering his latest antics, it’s best for him to keep quiet and show up. Ill leave it at that..
Boo hoo to Novak Djokovic for having a mind of his own. Let's condemn him for not following the status quo sheeple!

"Stay home, stay safe, save lives and then accept our vaccine, or else!"

2030 rolls around, after several more years of indoctrination and normalising the most encroaching concepts...

"Accept our chipisation, or Bill Gates will make you disappear!"

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boo hoo to Novak Djokovic for having a mind of his own. Let's condemn him for not following the status quo sheeple!

2030 rolls around, after several more years of indoctrination and normalising the most encroaching concepts...

It took exactly 40 minutes for a conspiracy nutcase ruining this thread. Oh MTF, your future does not look good at all. Its like a loony bin getting out of control.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,416 Posts

As a world number one and leader of a sport, you need to be setting an example for others. Jumping around shirtless in a night club is not leading by example and the behavior one would expect from someone in his position. He is much better than this..

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
im sure novak will go, unsure about rafa as his focus will be the French, the rest of the top players will find it hard to resist im sure

·
Registered
15,785 Posts
Honestly I think everyone in the top 10 will play, unless injury forces them not to.
I am ready for Lord Slamray to make his return in hurricane winds as covid-19 rages all around him.

If the top 10 don't show it is fear of the above. Federer is clever and has already bailed early.

·
The special one
14,241 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
@swiss_tennisgod,
Djokovic, Nadal, Thiem, Tsitsipas, Zverev won't play here. This isn't a real ATP US Swing anymore.
Toronto gets scrapped, Washington D. C. 500 gets the Toronto Spot and then it's Cincy & the Open to be played at the BJK.
I can't imagine them taking the risk flying to the United States for 3 lousy Tournaments even if one of those 3 is considered to be a Slam.
They will all restart with a Masters in Rome or Madrid which makes a lot sense since they all practicing on Clay and the tight Schedule between New York and Paris.
Remember, they haven't played a Professional Tour Match since March 1st in case of Nadal, Nole and Stefanos.

You can actually make a pretty good case for Djokovic and Nadal not to play in the USA. These two guys are 33 and 34 years old, haven't played a Match since March as I mentioned and they they are forced to play two Slams with two Masters in between over a span of 6 week. Even for these guys as great as they obviously are that's IMO too much strain on the body plus the two different surfaces. It does take time to get the body warmed up again.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
My guess is, most of the top players will participate, including Djokovic, who has a golden opportunity to win two more slams this year and get to 19. Djokovic won't let this opportunity pass.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Winning the US Open would give Djokovic the most HC majors of all time, and winning Roland Garros would give him the double career Grand Slam. He would then be in a great position to break the slam record in 2021. Djokovic has far too much to gain to let this opportunity pass. He will be there.

1 - 20 of 510 Posts