Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
US Open giving record $1.4 million to singles champions

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -The men's and women's singles champions will get a record $1.4 million apiece at this year's U.S. Open and the total prize money will top $19 million for the first time.

The overall payout of $19.6 million is $1 million more than in 2006, the largest single-year jump in U.S. Open history, the U.S. Tennis Association announced Wednesday.

The paycheck for last year's singles champions was $1.2 million.

The total prize money could eventually top $22 million, because the top three men and women in the summer circuit U.S. Open Series will receive bonuses: $1 million for first place in the series, up to $500,000 for second and up to $250,000 for third.

So the No. 1 performers in the US Open Series will earn $2.4 million if they win the Aug. 27-Sept. 9 hard-court Grand Slam tournament.

·
Your visions will happen
47,123 Posts
so Federer gets more for winning and Ljubo gets more for losing 1st round, big deal :shrug:

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Blaze:

Are you jealous of TMF's bulging wallet? I got news for you, we're all poor schmucks rooting for uber-rich athletes.

·
Your visions will happen
47,123 Posts
Blaze:

Are you jealous of TMF's bulging wallet? I got news for you, we're all poor schmucks rooting for uber-rich athletes.
that is not news to me

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
I guess they increased it by that much only to have higher prize money for the champion than Wimbledon.

Fed got just under $1.4 million for his Wimbledon title.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Americans still believe money can buy anything :p

Still

Wimbledon>>>>Roland Garros>>AO>USO
:p

·
Registered
373 Posts
I guess they increased it by that much only to have higher prize money for the champion than Wimbledon.

Fed got just under $1.4 million for his Wimbledon title.
$1.4 million from Wimbledon? If Fed goes on to win the US Open and gets another $1.4 million, that's a total of $2.8 million - all earned in just two months, something that an executive of a big company may not earn in one year. Fantastic guy, this Roger.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
$1.4 million from Wimbledon? If Fed goes on to win the US Open and gets another $1.4 million, that's a total of $2.8 million - all earned in just two months, something that an executive of a big company may not earn in one year.
well in the united states they can. remember the ceo from home depot? has been sacked after 2 years as a ceo and got a "retirement packege" of 225 mio $... :eek:

all the other big ceo get more than fed as well.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by bayvalle
$1.4 million from Wimbledon? If Fed goes on to win the US Open and gets another $1.4 million, that's a total of $2.8 million - all earned in just two months, something that an executive of a big company may not earn in one year.
Trust me, there's plenty of people earning much more and not being the GOAT even at scratching their fat asses, not to mention they don't have to get through difficult times. Imagine how roger has experienced losing to Cañas this year, or the way he lost in Monaco. He's the top winner, privileged over the rest, and still has to work hard and endure trouble all the time.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Trust me, there's plenty of people earning much more and not being the GOAT even at scratching their fat asses, not to mention they don't have to get through difficult times. Imagine how roger has experienced losing to Cañas this year, or the way he lost in Monaco. He's the top winner, privileged over the rest, and still has to work hard and endure trouble all the time.
Agreed. But re Fed's losses to Canas, Monaco, Nadal, etc., these are part of the game, something that Fed - or all players, for that matter - have to "endure". "Comes with the territory", as people would say. Also, I won't describe losses as "difficult times". For all we know, absorbing defeats may not mean anything to Roger at all. Thanks for the reaction anyway.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Agreed. But re Fed's losses to Canas, Monaco, Nadal, etc., these are part of the game, something that Fed - or all players, for that matter - have to "endure". "Comes with the territory", as people would say. Also, I won't describe losses as "difficult times". For all we know, absorbing defeats may not mean anything to Roger at all. Thanks for the reaction anyway.
i think bazooka was basically referring to roger in contrast to businessmen and their salaries, not in contrast to other tennis players. i doubt that guys like steven schwartzman (blackstone, last years salary: 400 mio $) or any other wall street executive have to "hustle" as much as any top player out there to get to the stage where they are currently, be it no.1, top 10 or top 50; yet executive pay is extreme.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i think bazooka was basically referring to roger in contrast to businessmen and their salaries, not in contrast to other tennis players. i doubt that guys like steven schwartzman (blackstone, last years salary: 400 mio $) or any other wall street executive have to "hustle" as much as any top player out there to get to the stage where they are currently, be it no.1, top 10 or top 50; yet executive pay is extreme.
Thanks for the reply. I rest my case.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts