Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No1e has proven once again that when he’s healthy and in-form, there’s a big gap between him and the rest of the field. He’s not only the best player in the world, he’s by FAR the best player in the world.

With this win, No1e has now tied Pete Sampras with 14 slams. He also won his 3rd USO, which puts him close to the all-time record. He also won his 2nd slam of the year, which means he won 2018 regardless of what the computer rankings currently show.

I want to again declare No1e as the BOAT and GOAT. A new era of No1e domination has just begun. This is only the beginning. 2019 will be even better than 2015, and we are all so blessed to be able to witness it.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Djokosmash in your face!

Congrats you damn brilliant legend!

·
The special one
14,024 Posts
Wow wasn't expecting it to be a straight sets win. the score suggests a more routine win than it actually was. Novak was like a wall tonight, absorbed everything Delpo threw at him, which i think broke Delpo mentally. He was also very solid at the net for the most part.

Congrats to Novak. What a few months it's been for him. First Wimbledon, then winning Cincinnati for the golden masters and now winning USO, which levels him at 14 slams with Pete. Should be in a great position to end 2018 as no1, who would've thought this was a possibility in June.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
No he is not by far the best player in the world. He had to beat Sousa Millman and nishikori to reach the finals. He got lucky with his draw... unlike in Wimbledon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quite a disappointing grand slam final in my opinion. Both players were playing very sub-par tennis at times, neither of them managed to show their peak form for more than two consecutive games. It made for some great drama, but it was also a very frustrating match to watch.

The second set decided the match. Del Potro was very passive until 1-3, then woke up and dominated the match for a few games and thoroughly intimidated Djokovic, whose mental state was more fragile than I expected. He had so many chances to get the break at 4-3 and later in the tie break, but wasted everything with easy unforced errors. Whenever Djokovic was struggling, he just went into Nadal mode until Del Potro inevitably made a mistake. His nerves clearly got the better of him. By the time he made his mini-comeback in the third set, he was too tired to really follow up on it. To be fair, Djokovic played some insane defensive tennis at times, but he was extremely inconsistent throughout the match.

I'm also a bit annoyed with the umpire who didn't give Djokovic any time warnings until way into the third set even though he was over the clock several times.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Congratulations to the REAL NUMBER 1. 2/4 GS for 2018

1 - 20 of 261 Posts