Mens Tennis Forums banner
561 - 580 of 613 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Djokovic is no longer the best HC rallier on the tour, and his volleys were awful. His serve is not so effective against players who receive from the stands.

Against Zverev he was able to save lot of BP with serve

Key point of the match, for me, was the 0-40 saved by Medvedev on set 2, not only with serving, but with rallies too

Didnt understand why Djokovic didnt use a bathroom break too

When you are nervous in a tennis match, the legs are the first to go away, and it seemed the case with Djokovic

No shame in crying. I felt for him, but not so much for some of his tards. Amazing season but with a bitter taste after OG and US Finals

Coming to this match, it was good for Medeved to have had a F experience against Djokovic, and a US F experience in 2019. He was clearly aware what he had to do yesterday, despite some real awful drop shots

Dont know if makes sense, but Wimbledon seems the best slam for Djokovic right now. Fast points and no competition at all. 10 AOs would be huge, but AO has more tough competition right now

Zverev, Medvedev and Tsitsipas are already real threats on bigger stages. Sinner, FAA, Alcaraz are rising too, but the mental side is remained to be seen. Rublev and Berrettini seems limited for me. And lets see what Nadal and Thiem can deliver in 2022

Raonic-Dimitrov-Nishikori generation seems weaker than ever in perspective

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you, Medvedev. I have been waiting all year for one of these supposed NextGen guys to finally step up and show some balls against Djokovic in BO5.

Medvedev did that tonight EMPHATICALLY.
Get real and stop giving Medvedev undeserved BJs. It's easy to "show balls" or "play lights out" as someone else said when your opponent shows up terrified of making history, gifting break after break from the very first game with awful play. Had the cygs not been at stake the Russian would have been routined, but a sad Djokovic made him the mouse that roared.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Best player of the tournament and certainly of yesterdays match won.

Don't think Djokovic was necessarily poor, in fact I felt like he was starting very concentrated. Medvedev just walled off the court with Djokovic leaking some nervous errors and that was basically already the set with Medvedev serving and playing totally lights-out.

Possible that Djokovic would have done much better had he broken after that horrendous dropshot at 0-40 at the beginning of the second (he pretty much imploded afterwards after realizing there was nothing he could do against this Medvedev), but overall I don't think there was anyone beating Medvedev the way he was playing. He was just that strong.
That's the way i see it too. Those courts were absolutely perfect for Medvedev's ultra flat and precise hitting. Maybe Cilic 2014 would stand a chance.. and even that i'm not so sure as Medvedev may have found a way to exploit Cilic backhand.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When Novak came to the Australian Open, he showed that Danill Medvedev can absolutely never beat him while he is in shape. There was no pressure at the Olympics. Most of us in Serbia thought that he should not go to the Olympic Games at all, considering that a much more important thing awaits him, winning the last Grand Slam of the year. Personally, I was shocked when I heard he was going to the Olympics. Novak lost a lot of energy playing in the semifinals with Nadal and it is a real miracle that he won the Roland Garros despite the worst possible schedule. He shouldn't have met Nadal before the final, but ATP knows how to tire Novak. That was the only reason why his game at Wimbledon was weaker than usual, he was already tired, but he still won that Grand Slam. That is why it was a real madness to go to the Olympic Games at the moment when he needed to renew his strength for the last Grand Slam of the year. Had he done so, Danill would not have had any chance in this final as he did not have in Australia. However, Novak went to the Olympic Games and not only spent his energy, but also suffered a certain injury along the way, which he healed until the US Open. Honestly, I am not at all surprised by the outcome of the match, because after the fifth set with Zverev, he spent all his energy. There are no bigger surprises here, ATP did everything to make it harder for him to win the calendar Grand Slam, and Djokovic made a historic mistake when he went to the Olympic Games, which he didn't even need.

·
Registered
376 Posts
When Novak came to the Australian Open, he showed that Danill Medvedev can absolutely never beat him while he is in shape. There was no pressure at the Olympics. Most of us in Serbia thought that he should not go to the Olympic Games at all, considering that a much more important thing awaits him, winning the last Grand Slam of the year. Personally, I was shocked when I heard he was going to the Olympics. Novak lost a lot of energy playing in the semifinals with Nadal and it is a real miracle that he won the Roland Garros despite the worst possible schedule. He shouldn't have met Nadal before the final, but ATP knows how to tire Novak. That was the only reason why his game at Wimbledon was weaker than usual, he was already tired, but he still won that Grand Slam. That is why it was a real madness to go to the Olympic Games at the moment when he needed to renew his strength for the last Grand Slam of the year. Had he done so, Danill would not have had any chance in this final as he did not have in Australia. However, Novak went to the Olympic Games and not only spent his energy, but also suffered a certain injury along the way, which he healed until the US Open. Honestly, I am not at all surprised by the outcome of the match, because after the fifth set with Zverev, he spent all his energy. There are no bigger surprises here, ATP did everything to make it harder for him to win the calendar Grand Slam, and Djokovic made a historic mistake when he went to the Olympic Games, which he didn't even need.
stfu vesta. He lost fair and square.

·
Registered
203 Posts
stfu vesta. He lost fair and square.
The truth hurts you I know. Especially since you’re a Fed fan. BTW. watch your language!

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Joe should've skipped the Olympics. He let his patriotism get in the way but for Serbians patriotism seems to be a big thing.

·
Premium Member
20,770 Posts
Congrats to Medvedev. Didn't see much (out on Sunday, too busy at work during today's replay) but Djokovic looked flat and uninspired.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree that he wasnt 100%. But it had a lot to do with the Zverev match. Playing Zverev and Medvedev back to back is tough on the body. And novak is no longer a spring chicken.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Age is finally catching up with Novak. The pressure was to much. Odd statement here, but a 25 year old Novak would have demolished a 34 year old Medvedev.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's the way i see it too. Those courts were absolutely perfect for Medvedev's ultra flat and precise hitting. Maybe Cilic 2014 would stand a chance.. and even that i'm not so sure as Medvedev may have found a way to exploit Cilic backhand.
I still think with Medvedevs return position he would have hard time breaking Roger's serve ....I would still take Roger over this Medvedev even the post 2013 Federer.....

But He would have struggled against Zverev.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Watch his own interview.. his own assessment.. He could not handle pressure. as he said. What is the definition of choking? wiki below:
"In sports, choking is the failure of a person, or persons, to act or behave as anticipated or expected.[1] This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favoured to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event. It can also refer to repeated failures in the same event, or simply imply an unexpected failure when the event is more important than usual. "

Simple: Novak did not play his usual game. What is that usual game? Stay in baseline rallies, retrieve, retrieve and retrieve unretrievable balls and put it in play. He did not do that, instead, he was clueless. Novak did not play his strengths. he tried to emulate a certain other all time great.. trying to mix it up.. did not work.. not that easy.
Now, why did he not play usual game? Because of nerves.. this is classic definition of choking. Novak froze mentally.. with the moment..
He didn't retrieve in AO Final aswell....He played aggressively that day.....

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
He didn't retrieve in AO Final aswell....He played aggressively that day.....
There is a slight difference when your core game works.. you get more confident and start being more aggressive.. His core game itself he didn't have legs.. I think that is nerves.. well he himself said it... too much for him mentally.. months of talk.. it got to him.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·
As for Djokovic it's still only a matter of time before he breaks the slam record. Australia up next, big favorite there. Only slam where he is not the favorite is RG, but he proved he can win even there.
I really believe he will blatantly tank the tournament now, just when he said "I will be back at least one time" sounded weird but telling to me. This tournament is too physical.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Get real and stop giving Medvedev undeserved BJs. It's easy to "show balls" or "play lights out" as someone else said when your opponent shows up terrified of making history, gifting break after break from the very first game with awful play. Had the cygs not been at stake the Russian would have been routined, but a sad Djokovic made him the mouse that roared.
I agree - I don't know what match these people are watching. I saw a lot of servebotting and pushing with a bit of aggression sometimes from Medvedev. Not a lot more. I saw a lot of stupid errors from Novak that he would never usually make.

Novak just didn't turn up in a fit state to play. I don't think it was fatigue so much. At RG he had 3h30 QF, over 4h SF vs Nadal and then outlasted much fresher Tsitsipas in a five set final. It was mental and possibly long term fatigue from playing the Olympics. He wasn't in his Zen state - he was mentally right on the edge for the whole match. You could see when he snapped, almost hit the ball girl, smashed his racket, and then just burst into tears at the changeover.

Medvedev even offered him a choke, which normally Novak would have accepted and closed him out efficiently, but Novak was in a terrible mental state and declined the choke this time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree - I don't know what match these people are watching. I saw a lot of servebotting and pushing with a bit of aggression sometimes from Medvedev. Not a lot more. I saw a lot of stupid errors from Novak that he would never usually make.

Novak just didn't turn up in a fit state to play. I don't think it was fatigue so much. At RG he had 3h30 QF, over 4h SF vs Nadal and then outlasted much fresher Tsitsipas in a five set final. It was mental and possibly long term fatigue from playing the Olympics. He wasn't in his Zen state - he was mentally right on the edge for the whole match. You could see when he snapped, almost hit the ball girl, smashed his racket, and then just burst into tears at the changeover.

Medvedev even offered him a choke, which normally Novak would have accepted and closed him out efficiently, but Novak was in a terrible mental state and declined the choke this time.
This is so well said I wanted it quoted and posted again. It should be the sticky on this match, is reality and exactly how it was.

561 - 580 of 613 Posts