Mens Tennis Forums banner
541 - 560 of 611 Posts

·
Registered
6,413 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
What do you mean he won’t be upset because he wasńt close and won’t think about it for a long time?? He won 27 out of 28 matches and was on the verge of making history! He won’t care that the match wasn’t close, he only cares that he didn’t win it.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
What an amazing press conference from Daniil..really lovely.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nothing more to say. Im just over the moon.
Almost flawless performance by Meddy :worship:
Meddy is now Slam Champion :yippee:
He was expected to destroy Djokovic in Melbourne, he got destroyed instead.
In New York, nobody expected that he would get anywhere near the victory, he straightsetted Djokovic.
That's Madveded for you. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Meddy is getting off quite lightly here in that he clearly wanted to choke at the end. Djokovic was just in a terrible mental state (almost smashing ballgirl, smashing racket, crying, numerous awful shots) and was unable to accept the choke.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
of course cygs pressure was a factor, but to suggest that a champion of djoker's caliber with 20 slams and several of the highest stakes matches in tennis history lost solely due to nerves or choked is ridiculous. there were so many other factors at play.
Watch his own interview.. his own assessment.. He could not handle pressure. as he said. What is the definition of choking? wiki below:
"In sports, choking is the failure of a person, or persons, to act or behave as anticipated or expected.[1] This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favoured to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event. It can also refer to repeated failures in the same event, or simply imply an unexpected failure when the event is more important than usual. "

Simple: Novak did not play his usual game. What is that usual game? Stay in baseline rallies, retrieve, retrieve and retrieve unretrievable balls and put it in play. He did not do that, instead, he was clueless. Novak did not play his strengths. he tried to emulate a certain other all time great.. trying to mix it up.. did not work.. not that easy.
Now, why did he not play usual game? Because of nerves.. this is classic definition of choking. Novak froze mentally.. with the moment..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jeez, RIP history... That was a crazy run from Djoko though...
If you are a Djoko fan, you have to be proud of him, insane achivement 27-1.
Even watching him as a Rafa fan over they years, i never enjoyed his tennis more, than this tourney... He played some amazing matches,(remember the 53 shot rally vs Zverev, unbelievable, or those amazing points in the Brooksby match?) I actually watched all of his matches from round 1 to final... You know, history in the making... We all thought for a while...
I actually think this was the best grandslam in a lot of years. Men and Woman's tennis combined. So many great moments, and so many great things happened...

So back to this match...
I don't want to flatter myself here, but i correctly predicted the score before the match 3-0 sets to Medvedev, but i didn't bother to login and cast my vote in the WWW topic. I rarely login nowadays... Just reading :)
You have to take my word for it, it was actually not that hard to predict a Medvedev win... 3-0 was obv. little harder... World Nr.2 was the opponent after all...
But i actually have read every single message in that WWW topic before the match, and my conclusion was, that around that time only 5 MTF "true" experts predicted Medvedev in 3, and that's disrespectful to a player, who almost didn't lost a set en route to the final... vs the other player who lost countless sets and played a 5 setter in the semis. And i also read a topic about Djokovic had a 4-5 grand slam losing record after 5 setters in semis in the final... Now it's 4-6... He is a human after all. Or not?:alien:

Anyways, i watched over the years huge collapses, remember Thiem, when he was tired over the years? UE non-stop on clay after a good winning streak... Or Murray when he was World Nr.1? Rafa when he was winning on clay a lot, he usually has huge months of breaks after those streaks... and they never end well on court basically...
One thing is common, fatigue(mental and/or physical) or injury ends those crazy win streaks usually...
Anyways our hungarian commentators said that very low amount of people predicted the result of this match... Well, i was one of them. :p Even Mats Wilander got it completely wrong. :)

So my prediction also based on this match, which i remember clearly:
18.11.2020 ATP Finals London: Medvedev - Djokovic 6-3, 6-3
I completely discarded the 2021 Aussie Open finals, that was an epic fail from Medv... And a perfect match from Djoko. Perfect matches were rare this torunament for Novak...
I also saw couple of Medvedev matches, and when he serves well, it's really hard to beat him on hard courts... And he did this tournament. The indicator is how many sets he loses... Only 1 this tourney. So this match result from 2020 was a good indicator in my book...

Also Auger-Alliassime actually played amazing tennis this tourney so that 3-0 Medvedev win in the semis was actually impressive, believe it or not...
I know most of you guys probably didn't watch lower ranked players that much, but believe me FAA was really good this tourney... I enjoyed the matches i saw from him, and he didn't win because of luck or smth like that, he played solid tennis, really good service games especially, so thats a good thing for him in the future if he can keep it up... He usually plays not really good tennis, whenever i see him playing in other tourneys... Maybe this is the sign that finally NextGen players will be decent from 2022... Just Maybe...

Anyways, back to the US Open Finals:
Tired Djokovic vs Fresh Medvedev with an okay h2h record for Medvedev basically. Not rocket science :) And you could see Djoko's movement in this match. He was always 1 step slower, than usual.
Like those huge U/E at the net are completely common for other players, but not for him, which he lost countless times in this match in important moments...
Also Djoko almost lost every single 1st set this year in big matches (not just this USOPEN, like RG SF/F and Wimby F, and it's a miracle he has won all of those matches... Because in tennis who wins the 1st set usually wins the match, idk the exact percentage but like most of the time(like 75%+)... It's really hard to come back even in BO5 matches...
So i ofc. expected Medvedev come out fresh and take down the 1st set without too much trouble with huge serves... And he did exactly that:
1st Serve points win% = 100%
It's actually crazy rare in tennis for a whole set, even for Isner or Karlovic type of serve botting players...

Oh yes, one last thing i have read in that WWW topic, is that you couple of guys said that Medvedev is lot stronger mentally, than Zverev, so that also helped me to arrive at the conclusion, that Medvedev will win this one...
You guys were right, even when the crowd started booing him, as he tried to serve out the match, he still served and played the rallies relatively decent, which is only possible, if you can exclude the outside factors on the court, which is basically mental toughness.

Ohh and i have read somewhere in this forum that Medvedev watched all of Djoko's matches this US Open, like me haha, so that's for sure helped him to play with the correct tactics...
After the match he said: "i had like 20 different scenarios, cause all the matches he played vs Novak were different , so you can't just play with 1 strategy the whole match, even if it's the perfect one..."

So, that's it from me... sorry for the long message, i hope someone reads it :)

Congrats to Daniil and his fans for his first Grandslam! 20-20-20 still alive & kickin':sneaky:

P.S. L2 + Left hahahaaaa

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I was absolutely gobsmacked- not so much at the final result, I mean... Medvedev is an ace on hc ofc. It's just the way Djokovic went out. It was so whiskey dick to me. Here he is, playing for history and maybe tennis immortality Idk, and he seemed so listless and flat. To think he wouldn't take a set even was unfathomable to me.

I didn't see your match prediction if you made one or not, but you're spot on so much when it comes to that- may I ask if you saw this coming prior to Sunday?
Thank you re match prediction!
I'm not always spot on, but prob better than most who vote only for what they want to happen.

I didn't vote on match prediction because I truly didn't have a clear feeling one way or another, I didn't consider Djok a shoo-in (interesting expression btw, I was always writing Shoe-in till I looked it up, it has to do with horses crossing the finish line) based on the idea that he can't keep winning and what AZ and PCB did to him at the OLympics and his less than stunning performances thus far (OK AZ was an impressive one, but I only saw the first 3 sets) and the fact he might be tired and the possibility of nerves.

That's a lot of reasons to doubt right?

So that should have made me think Med takes it BUT that atrocious performance at the AO so recently, same surface same opponent. That was the big IF. And also, everything can look like Djok is going to lose, and he somehow wins.

In hindsight Djok looked better than he actually was due to one big detail: Rafa's bad foot. Everyone expected Rafa to beat DJok RG and when Djok beat Rafa, Djok started to look unbeatable again. It was not known till after Rafa had a foot problem, one that goes back to 2005! It's very hard to talk about such things here because the mobs here all say he's making "Excuses" so even I denied he was injured when playing the final.
That win gave Djok enormous power, in the minds of everyone, including him.
Then Wimb, he is truly the best on grass BO5 now, but that says as much about the feild as him.
This masked the fact he is beatable on HC. Thank god!

As for what got to Djok, I think the combination of Med's huge serving and his ability to hang in rallies and often win them ...then there's possible fatigue and nerves on top of that. He was made to look almost feeble. He had breif flashes of his best game but he couldn't sustain them.

It was a good day for tennis.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
It was Daniil's day today but it has been Nole's year
Congrats to the new GS champion

Nole lost the final and the CYGS but maybe he is truly happy with winning the fans tonight
Couldn't have said it better.

Kudos to Medved for carrying out his gameplan to near perfection but let's b real, the draw implosion benefited him the most & here are the clear reasons : Discounting the first 3 rounds, Novak draws Brooksby, Berretini & Zverev while Medved gets Evans, Botic & FAA in the business end of the tournament & yes, up until Novak figured Brooksby out somewhere in the 2nd set, he was the hottest & trickiest player taking 20+ minutes in some of those first 2 set games & would have done the same to Medved or anyone in his half had he been in that draw.
Deep down Nole had the heart but not the legs & it clearly showed after going down in the opening set.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I think the slow starts in all the matches here have finally caught up to him in the final. He really had a lot of mileage to get to there. There's a reason you very rarely see players winning slams while losing 5+ sets along the way. In the end he wasn't fresh enough mentally and physically and Medvedev maintained a good level throughout.
Well deserved first slam for the Russian. It was only a matter of time. And I'm happy he got it before Thugrev and Sissypass as they are overhyped brats.
As for Djokovic it's still only a matter of time before he breaks the slam record. Australia up next, big favorite there. Only slam where he is not the favorite is RG, but he proved he can win even there when RAFA is injured. Hopefully RAFA can mount a serious challenge for the slam race next year.

·
Premium Member
Stan Wawrinka
4,579 Posts
What do you mean he won’t be upset because he wasńt close and won’t think about it for a long time?? He won 27 out of 28 matches and was on the verge of making history! He won’t care that the match wasn’t close, he only cares that he didn’t win it.
There are other things in life as he mentioned. He was miles ahead of winning because he was too nervous throughout, mentally and physically not ready. He won't think about certain rallies he could have played better. He won't be that nervous in his next Grand Slam final.

·
Registered
16,823 Posts
Nothing more to say. Im just over the moon.
Almost flawless performance by Meddy :worship:
Meddy is now Slam Champion :yippee:
He was expected to destroy Djokovic in Melbourne, he got destroyed instead.
In New York, nobody expected that he would get anywhere near the victory, he straightsetted Djokovic.
That's Madveded for you. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations to you and all the Medvedev fans. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are other things in life as he mentioned. He was miles ahead of winning because he was too nervous throughout, mentally and physically not ready. He won't think about certain rallies he could have played better. He won't be that nervous in his next Grand Slam final.
Of course he’s going to say that, who wouldn’t. He also said before the final that he would play the match as if it was his last lol, that’s how badly he wanted to win it.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
turned out a blessing i wasn't able to watch, i never thought med would straight set novak in a slam final. full credit to him, that's no easy feat at all.
tho i really expected novak to play a better match after the good win against zverev, it just wasn't meant to be. such is life, you win some you lose some.
nice pressers from both as well, especially med is not and never was the bland and boring personality folks thought him to be. very articulate, straight to the point and honest without being shady or something. i for once have no regrets if he gonna be the one to dominate in the future, so gl.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Best player of the tournament and certainly of yesterdays match won.

Don't think Djokovic was necessarily poor, in fact I felt like he was starting very concentrated. Medvedev just walled off the court with Djokovic leaking some nervous errors and that was basically already the set with Medvedev serving and playing totally lights-out.

Possible that Djokovic would have done much better had he broken after that horrendous dropshot at 0-40 at the beginning of the second (he pretty much imploded afterwards after realizing there was nothing he could do against this Medvedev), but overall I don't think there was anyone beating Medvedev the way he was playing. He was just that strong.

Reactions: BodyServe

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
I think the slow starts in all the matches here have finally caught up to him in the final. He really had a lot of mileage to get to there. There's a reason you very rarely see players winning slams while losing 5+ sets along the way. In the end he wasn't fresh enough mentally and physically and Medvedev maintained a good level throughout.
Well deserved first slam for the Russian. It was only a matter of time. And I'm happy he got it before Thugrev and Sissypass as they are overhyped brats.
As for Djokovic it's still only a matter of time before he breaks the slam record. Australia up next, big favorite there. Only slam where he is not the favorite is RG, but he proved he can win even there when RAFA is injured. Hopefully RAFA can mount a serious challenge for the slam race next year.
Yeah he dropped set/s in 6 of the 7 matches he played... Just too much and signified how mediocre he played throughout the tournament.

People can talk about Medvedev's draw but let's not forget he romped to the semi's last year without losing a set so it's all relative.He did what he had to do and executed his gameplan brilliantly in the final

Novak can blame himself for expending too much energy in the leadup to the final but based on form I still would've given him the nod to beat Novak even if he dropped fewer sets along the way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
NO! I cannot believe what I just read in the sporting news. I had cut the match off in the third set, but Djokovic was crying on the court during the match a la Vera Zvonareva? Even while waiting to receive serve? And before the NYC crowd and a guy seeking his first slam? He is now perpetually disqualified from the goat discussion. Nuff said.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
NO! I cannot believe what I just read in the sporting news. I had cut the match off in the third set, but Djokovic was crying on the court during the match a la Vera Zvonareva? Even while waiting to receive serve? And before the NYC crowd and a guy seeking his first slam? He is now perpetually disqualified from the goat discussion. Nuff said.
Yeah, it was reminiscent of Fed's big crying scene at the AO after losing to Nadal--Fed the one who already about 10 slams, Nadal the younger threat--except Djok cried into a towel during the changeover while the match was still in play; Fed cried for what must have been 5 minutes through his and Rafa's speech when the trophy was handed out.

Which was worse????
Go to youtube to see the Djok crying scene. I posted it, but I think the mods took it down.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Yeah, it was reminiscent of Fed's big crying scene at the AO after losing to Nadal--Fed the one who already about 10 slams, Nadal the younger threat--except Djok cried into a towel during the changeover while the match was still in play; Fed cried for what must have been 5 minutes through his and Rafa's speech when the trophy was handed out.

Which was worse????
Go to youtube to see the Djok crying scene. I posted it, but I think the mods took it down.
better have some decency and not go there asking who's worse at sobbing after major disappointment out of the big3, rafa had his fair share as well.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
What an amazing press conference from Daniil..really lovely.
Yep!... Relatively low key,centred & he's a cool cat.

If he can just subjugate his emotions when petty things arise he'll even be twice as hard to beat.He pissed that Cincy title away losing to his handkerchief Rublev because he let that 'Camera-gate' issue screw with his mind.

541 - 560 of 611 Posts