Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone posted this on the tennis-warehouse boards. Not sure how accurate it is.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=149561
US Open *Confidential* Information

The US Open is but two weeks away, and as an employee and teaching pro at the USTA National Tennis Center, I have been around the grounds and picking up on a lot of interesting things. A lot of pro's such as Alex Bogomolov Jr., Guillermo Canas, and Roger Federer has hit on the courts within the last 2 weeks. Many of the courts are currently being resurfaced, with experts with machines taking hours to apply the correct materials to make the surface play at the desired speed that USTA would like. When I originally asked about the speed of the court, the court suppliers said it was extremely confidential. However, through friends I found out that Arthur Ashe is the fastest courts, since Roddick plays there and Agassi used to play there. James Blake also sees a lot of action on Ashe. Louis Armostrong is slightly slower, where Donald Young will be playing this year. Supposedly all the courts are slightly faster this year, making the US Open the fastest courts in the world, similar to an indoor carpet. The idea is obviously to have the Americans have another strong effort, while trying to eliminate guys like Nadal, Davydenko, and Djokovic. Guillermo Canas personally told me the courts were playing extremely fast, but that did not bother him because he expected it. Canas is one of the few players from Argentina who like faster courts, but he insisted this was the fastest he'd ever seen. USTA has ways of pushing for Americans, as I am assuming the years in which Americans did not do well they saw ratings drop, and it is interesting that they are trying to do everything they can to keep Blake Ginepri, ISNER, Roddick, and Fish in the tournament...

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
This shouldn't come as much of a surprise if it is true - they want to reward their own players and their style of play, as you might expect really.

Of course, when they tried this in San Jose for the same reasons, earlier this year, Andy Murray won it anyway.

No doubt this is not good news for the Nadals of this world, though.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm not sure that will help. The Europeans can and will adapt. We've seen it before. Even with faster courts, it will be unlikely to see that many Americans besides Roddick going deep and it will be even less likely to see Djokovic, Nadal, or Davydenko lose early.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Wish Wimbledon would do the same.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Wish Wimbledon would do the same.
Seriously. Wimbledon this year was like :eek: :eek: :eek: with the epic baseline rallies and lack of net charging.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This shouldn't come as much of a surprise if it is true - they want to reward their own players and their style of play, as you might expect really.

Of course, when they tried this in San Jose for the same reasons, earlier this year, Andy Murray won it anyway.

Yeah the word is IF. You never know when someone is prendenting to be "in the know" but really posting BS. So I do take it with a grain of salt, but as you say it wouldn't surprise me if they did speed it up.

I believe Nadal said in one of his pressers from Montreal that the court there wasn't really taking his spin and the ball was staying low.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Montreal is definitely playing medium fast as opposed to the early hardcourts.

We'll see how the US Open courts play. I don't much care for them tinkering with speed too much and my view is it makes less difference than they would like to think, but that's their call.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
It's good for the Americans that the courts are quicker, but I wonder if they think of Federer when they do that. I almost think it'd be worth derailing Federer, the proven stalwart, and giving a slight help to Nadal and Djokovic and the rest, who can still be apt to be hit through if someone's playing phenomenal tennis.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Montreal is definitely playing medium fast as opposed to the early hardcourts.

We'll see how the US Open courts play. I don't much care for them tinkering with speed too much and my view is it makes less difference than they would like to think, but that's their call.
Cincy always plays more like the USO courts. The USO courts are already fast enough so we probably won't see much of a difference anyway.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
True - and I like the way the US Open courts play as they are. I think they're a good speed for fast hardcourts. They take the pace but they're not OTT.

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
The US Open is but two weeks away, and as an employee and teaching pro at the USTA National Tennis Center, I have been around the grounds and picking up on a lot of interesting things. A lot of pro's such as Alex Bogomolov Jr., Guillermo Canas, and Roger Federer has hit on the courts within the last 2 weeks. Many of the courts are currently being resurfaced, with experts with machines taking hours to apply the correct materials to make the surface play at the desired speed that USTA would like. When I originally asked about the speed of the court, the court suppliers said it was extremely confidential. However, through friends I found out that Arthur Ashe is the fastest courts, since Roddick plays there and Agassi used to play there. James Blake also sees a lot of action on Ashe. Louis Armostrong is slightly slower, where Donald Young will be playing this year. Supposedly all the courts are slightly faster this year, making the US Open the fastest courts in the world, similar to an indoor carpet. The idea is obviously to have the Americans have another strong effort, while trying to eliminate guys like Nadal, Davydenko, and Djokovic. Guillermo Canas personally told me the courts were playing extremely fast, but that did not bother him because he expected it. Canas is one of the few players from Argentina who like faster courts, but he insisted this was the fastest he'd ever seen. USTA has ways of pushing for Americans, as I am assuming the years in which Americans did not do well they saw ratings drop, and it is interesting that they are trying to do everything they can to keep Blake Ginepri, ISNER, Roddick, and Fish in the tournament...
So these guys were practicing in NYC before Montreal? :confused:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts

Great to see US Open becoming the fastest tournament in the world, that is so American anyway. Expecialy now when Wimbledon hit the dust we need something like this

As for Murray, well he likes fast courts quite well, being one of the best returners of atomic serves in the game, and also having a good serve himself

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
mirkaland, are you sure what you posted is true? I mean, "extremely confidental" stuff shouldn't go in public so easily a month before a tournament...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts