Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D

The last junior slam of the year and Golding becomes the first British winner since Andy Murray!! Only the *third British winner in the history of junior slams. Quite an achievement.

edit: *since 1973

The match was rain delayed at 7-5,3-6 15-30 perhaps damaging Goldings momentum, but he came back out and broke Vesely in the third and successfully served it out.

Perhaps the future is not so bad for British tennis, 3 Brits in the last 4 of this tourney and a British finalist in the Wimbledon juniors. I know juniors is not everything, but it's certainly promising ;)

Congrats Golding! (Ranked 976 and only 17)

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Great tournament for a pretty good prospect. And yeah very nice tournament overall for the British boys.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
American tennis is going down. The Australians are also declining. British tennis is on the up. I hope Goldring and the other young British players don't get over protected by the LTA. It hinders progress if everything gets done for you.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good for him and British tennis :D His face is unfortunate though.
Correction. His teeth are unfortunate. Have you seen Vesely though!? :scared:

Vesely

Golding

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
American tennis is going down. The Australians are also declining. British tennis is on the up. I hope Goldring and the other young British players don't get over protected by the LTA. It hinders progress if everything gets done for you.
:lol:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He won't be a teenager is a year. Still, I just think he's a wee bit scary looking :shrug:, that's all. But it has nothing to do with anything, he is a great tennis prospect and I hope he can challenge the big four(three) in a few years ;)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I can just imagine British press and public:

"Fuck off and disappear, Andy Murray. Oliver Golding is the TRUE Messiah of British tennis who will bring us the Wimbledon title."

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Golding will probably be a solid pro player, but he's not on Murray's level.

Some of the other British juniors are more talented.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
From TV-star to tennis star! Is he the first actor to win USO? :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0325708/
:haha:

Sock? Harrison? Young (debatable) WTA, Stephens? Capra? Keys?

And since they are technically American, Raonic, Pospisil, Marino?

·
29,645 Posts
Golding isn't that good IMO. That said the juniors tipped for stardom these days (Tomic, Dimitrov etc) also aren't :shrug:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Good for Golding. I watched him lose to Janowicz at the Wimby qualies, and wasn't impressed with his attitude, but there's plenty of time for that to improve.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts