Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
US lawmaker accuses China of genocide ahead of Bush-Hu summit

Posted on April 20, 2006

A senior lawmaker from US President George W. Bush's Republican party accused China of genocide for allegedly conducting forced abortions to phase out indigenous populations in the largely Buddhist Tibet and Muslim Xinjiang regions.

Wed Apr 19, 9:16 PM ET
Article Link

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A senior lawmaker from US President George W. Bush's Republican party accused China of genocide for allegedly conducting forced abortions to phase out indigenous populations in the largely Buddhist Tibet and Muslim Xinjiang regions.

Christopher Smith, chairing a Congressional hearing on human rights abuses in China, slammed the United Nations for backing China's so-called family planning program which he said had been used as a "tool of repression" in the two regions.

"This assistance puts the UN seal of approval on a very coercive population control program which against the Tibetans and certainly against the Uighurs constitutes genocide," said Smith at the hearing of the House of Representatives subcommittee on human rights.

"The genocide definition couldn't be more clear ... when people are targeted in whole or in part because of their ethnicity for destruction," Smith said at the hearing, timed to coincide with Chinese President Hu Jintao's visit to the United States.

Bush is under pressure from Congress to put human rights as a priority issue, aside from trade and economic matters, when he holds talks with Hu on Thursday.

Rebiya Kadeer, a top campaigner for the rights of China's Muslim Uighur minority in Xinjiang, claimed at Wednesday's hearing that the Chinese authorities had stepped up "forced abortions" among locals and encouraged Chinese migrants to move into the region.

Kadeer, who was deported to the United States last year after serving nearly six years of detention in Beijing, spoke about the "horrific accounts of forced, late-term abortions, of forced sterilizations and the extreme physical and psychological traumas inflicted on women as a result of these procedures."

She said if Beijing "continues with this program for the next 20 years, it would result in the Uighurs being wiped out from the face of the Earth."

"It seems to me when there is a systematic effort to displace the Uighurs by using migration policies coupled with family planning policies that included forced abortion, it would seem to rise clearly to that level (genocide)," Smith said.

The International Campaign for Tibet said there is a "major concern" about the way in which birth control policies are implemented in Tibetan areas.

"We know there are quotas imposed for sterilization and abortion which can lead to coercion of women," Kate Saunders, spokeswoman for the International Campaign for Tibet, told AFP. "Lack of education in birth control is a major problem."

Noting that forced abortions by Nazis on Polish women in the 1930's constituted a crime against humanity, Smith said, "it is no less a crime against humanity today when practised by the Chinese against a vast array of women."

Smith also called for international pressure on China to improve its human rights record ahead of its hosting the 2008 Olympics.

He said he was "disappointed" that popular American film director Steven Spielberg would be among high-profile consultants designing the opening and closing ceremonies for the Beijing Olympics.

"It immediately flashed to my mind that the Olympic games are to the Chinese dictatorship what the 1936 Olympic games were to the Nazis -- a chance to put a face on tyranny or somehow gloss over ongoing systematic abuse of human rights and I, for one, was disappointed that he would lend his name and his extraordinary talents to that effort," Smith said.

·
RAVE ON
18,769 Posts
It is no surprise. It is estimated Mao alone was personally responsible for 70 million deaths. In the Chinese communist party the masses are just fodder for the party machine.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just glad that someone from the US finally spoke out and flat out said what they are doing is genocide. This only somewhat makes up from the Bush Administration declaring the ETM a terrorist organization after 9/11. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't think that buddyholly is from the U.S. and neither am I. But personally I am happy to see what the Chinese governmet is doing. Oh and only an idiot like one who believes that Xristos is a professional tennis player :lol: will think that the Uighurs will be wiped out of the face of the Earth.
Tibet is a fundementalist buddhist region and good to see the Chinese take care of it. And Sikiang shopuld remain part of China since many turkic regions are already independant like Kazakhstan from USSR.

·
Registered
97,287 Posts
Jim Jones said:
I don't think that buddyholly is from the U.S. and neither am I. But personally I am happy to see what the Chinese governmet is doing. Oh and only an idiot like one who believes that Xristos is a professional tennis player :lol: will think that the Uighurs will be wiped out of the face of the Earth.
Tibet is a fundementalist buddhist region and good to see the Chinese take care of it. And Sikiang shopuld remain part of China since many turkic regions are already independant like Kazakhstan from USSR.
Oh Kazakhstan is a huge country with a variety of races with also fair amount of people from USSR and the satellites who were forced to be settled there. Quite interesting country though, like happens there's a village of few small houses, and anything next is 80 km far...

·
Registered
97,287 Posts
Sol Apollo said:
Noting that forced abortions by Nazis on Polish women in the 1930's constituted a crime against humanity, Smith said, "it is no less a crime against humanity today when practised by the Chinese against a vast array of women."
:awww:

That's actually surprising USA spoke up about this problem in China and not made it a political 'forbidden subject'.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Nathaliia said:
Oh Kazakhstan is a huge country with a variety of races with also fair amount of people from USSR and the satellites who were forced to be settled there. Quite interesting country though, like happens there's a village of few small houses, and anything next is 80 km far...
I like Kazakhstan for its diversity. I was just trying to say that Sikiang should remain part of China. If the Chinese government is trying to implement population control methods then good for them I just hope that these methods do not endanger the health of the woman.

·
Registered
97,287 Posts
Jim Jones said:
I like Kazakhstan for its diversity. I was just trying to say that Sikiang should remain part of China. If the Chinese government is trying to implement population control methods then good for them I just hope that these methods do not endanger the health of the woman.
Ah okay. I don't really know how it became a part of Kazakhstan, in which historical moment. I don't like saying I don't know something but this time I'm :shrug: :awww:

Anyway I am a bit scared when you accept the reducing minorities to close to zero, but I followed the discussion in the racist thread (however it sounds :p) and not willing to be back to it. Well... your mind, I guess. Or maybe I really need to join Flying Spaghetti :devil:

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim Jones said:
This has been going on since the 1940s, and the Uighurs are only a small fraction of the size they used to be. This goes beyond population control, it's outright genocide. If the Uighurs try to flee to neighboring countries with Turkic populations (Uzbekistan is where they try to go the most), the Chinese government demands that they be turned back over where they are then executed. It's exactly like what is happening with Falun Gong as well. They are being persecuted for having different cultures than the Han Chinese.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Sol Apollo said:
This has been going on since the 1940s, and the Uighurs are only a small fraction of the size they used to be. This goes beyond population control, it's outright genocide. If the Uighurs try to flee to neighboring countries with Turkic populations (Uzbekistan is where they try to go the most), the Chinese government demands that they be turned back over where they are then executed. It's exactly like what is happening with Falun Gong as well. They are being persecuted for having different cultures than the Han Chinese.
I'm not sure if this is your implication here. Are you saying the believers of Falun Gong are being executed without any reason?

What I know is, Falun Gong runs a bigger and better propaganda machine than the communist government of China. Falun Gong is being persecuted not for having different cultures, but being against the government. I am not saying the Chinese government is right. It's just the Chinese government never cares about the finesse of persecuting anything, let alone a cult.

And what's Han Chinese? What's the Han Chinese culture? There are so many different races in China and have such a long history that I find it very hard to define Han Chinese. Like, during the Han Dynasty, my ancestors were considered as southern barbarians. Definitely not Han Chinese.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lee said:
I'm not sure if this is your implication here. Are you saying the believers of Falun Gong are being executed without any reason?

What I know is, Falun Gong runs a bigger and better propaganda machine than the communist government of China. Falun Gong is being persecuted not for having different cultures, but being against the government. I am not saying the Chinese government is right. It's just the Chinese government never cares about the finesse of persecuting anything, let alone a cult.

And what's Han Chinese? What's the Han Chinese culture? There are so many different races in China and have such a long history that I find it very hard to define Han Chinese. Like, during the Han Dynasty, my ancestors were considered as southern barbarians. Definitely not Han Chinese.
I wasn't saying it's happening without reason, but you said what I was trying to say, that it's because they pose a threat to the authority of the government. Cultural factors are still an important issue in this as well. But with Xinjiang at least, there is a way for it to get along with Beijing. Even if they had some degree of autonomy, that would be a start. They do not even have their own leaders in control of the region, but officials appointed by Beijing. But the real issue at hand is the gross violations of human rights.

By Han Chinese, I mean the majority population of China, I probably should have specified that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Chinese

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Tough issue... I think there definitely needs to be population control but if what Smith is saying about the phasing out of indigenous populations is true, that's horrible.

Nonetheless I'd have to do some research of my own on the subject before I comment because often times "human rights" violation is a convenient cover for people who really have other bones to pick with a country.

Maybe Smith is just anti-abortion and framing China's pro-abortion stance as genocide is the only legitimate way to question a sovereign nation’s reproductive policies. Or maybe he's worried about competition and depicting China as evil is a jump-off point to start demanding more tariffs on the importation of particular goods so they could continue to be produced here in the States. Who knows?!

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dkw said:
Tough issue... I think there definitely needs to be population control but if what Smith is saying about the phasing out of indigenous populations is true, that's horrible.

Nonetheless I'd have to do some research of my own on the subject before I comment because often times "human rights" violation is a convenient cover for people who really have other bones to pick with a country.

Maybe Smith is just anti-abortion and framing China's pro-abortion stance as genocide is the only legitimate way to question a sovereign nation’s reproductive policies. Or maybe he's worried about competition and depicting China as evil is a jump-off point to start demanding more tariffs on the importation of particular goods so they could continue to be produced here in the States. Who knows?!
I did an entire research paper on the Uighurs last Winter, and it's not just the forced abortion that surmounts to the human rights abuses. It's definitely ethnic genocide on all accounts; people there are being executed just for being Uighur. They're not even allowed to openly practice their Muslim faith. They can be arrested for wearing headscarves, speaking the Uighur language in public (illegal to be taught in schools). I'd have to post my entire paper, because there are just so many injustices being done there. It's more than population control, nothing like the one-child policy that had existed in the rest of the country.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
well at least there is no tension between the Uighurs and Han Chinese. The Hans are intelligent enough to ensure that they remain the majority in the capital city like in Lhassa in Tibet. I do not think that there are less Uighurs now than in 1940. Show me a source that backs this. Also I have seen documentaries where the Uighur females were veiled and many men were in traditional costumes. In fact I rarely saw a Uighur woman who was not veiled. Check this site which shows a veiled uighur woman.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uighurs
So don't know where you get you info if you did get your info from somewhere or if you are doing a Xristos thing here. ;)

I did a MA in international relations and I found out that as long as you back what you say with sources you are off the hook. But many of the sources are not credible. Credible sources include from UN, credible journalistic sources etc...Did you get your sources from pro Turkic journalistic sources? If so then this cannot be considered credible except to your professor.
I prefered my BA in Business Administration because I found the courses to me more valuable. At least here there are formulas to be studied such as in financial accounting whereas like I said in int. relatons any argument is valid as long as you back up what you say with sources. The MA program was a waste of my time but it still helped me get a job in.......banking albeit for only a short period of time. But I had to try and link the MA program with my BA program and had to say bs such as that there was a lot of economics involved which was not the case but I learnt that one has to lie through his teeth to get far in life.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
There is absoulutely nowhere in the article where it stipulates that the population of Sikiang is less now than in 1940. That is what I was asking you proof for. There is no proof of genocide i.e massive killings and I am now inclined to believe that you made up the story where you said that there are less Uighurs now then in 1940 as well as that it is illegal to wear veils overthere which is ridiculous to say since virtually all of the women are veiled. Good job you did on your paper, fantastic and you have sources on this, my foot. :lol: If I was your professor I would give you a big F since you were not able to give sources to what was aksed of you.

There is indeed restlessness and violence in Sikiang and Tibet sure. But there is no proof of genocide and the population once again is nowhere close to extinction or less than it was in 1940. The population has a higher birth rate than on average in China so that is impossible to happen even with emigration which is not massive in Sikinang unlike Turkish Armenia. In sum, Sikiang is not Turkish Armenia where population overthere was close to being phased out due to genocide and massive forced emigration.

Reactions: Mimi

·
RAVE ON
18,769 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts