Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep receiving those annoying pop-ups from Microsoft prompting me to "reserve my free upgrade".

I think it will be a hassle as I don't know how much of my corresponding softwares will be compatible to it. Obviously, Microsoft couldn't care less. What if I'm only left stranded with the dumb OS and will need to pay/wait for software upgrades compatible to the new OS? :confused:

Also no option for cancellation. Can only close the window till it pops up again :rolleyes:

Any techxpert can comment?

·
-
86 Posts
Reactions: Roger the Dodger

·
21,310 Posts
From what I have seen, I have quite liked it.

But no point in shifting so early. Iirc, the upgrading to Windows 10 is free for the first year after it's release. So, till July next year. I'd wait for a few months to see what the first users say before shifting.

·
Bring it Home
20,495 Posts
Well, Windows 10 Technical Previews was great. May worth it, but it's not released yet, will be released July 29th.

·
Registered
189 Posts
As someone else correctly pointed out, you get the annoying popup because "Windows Update" automatically updates your machine. I suggest you turn it off and update manually every two weeks or so.

I take it you're using Windows 8, if not, you should have KB2952664 also installed, an annoying popup to upgrade to Windows 8.

In the end you're the only one knowing whether it's time to upgrade or not. If you do all you want to do with your current OS, then there's no need to upgrade. Windows 7 will receive updates until 2020, Windows 8 will receive updates until 2023.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As someone else correctly pointed out, you get the annoying popup because "Windows Update" automatically updates your machine. I suggest you turn it off and update manually every two weeks or so.

I take it you're using Windows 8, if not, you should have KB2952664 also installed, an annoying popup to upgrade to Windows 8.

In the end you're the only one knowing whether it's time to upgrade or not. If you do all you want to do with your current OS, then there's no need to upgrade.
I am on Windows 8.1. When I brought my system, it had 8, and then there was this upgrade to 8.1. I sincerely didn't care much for the previous upgrade, as all my needs are met as it is. If at all, I am more concerned regarding the compatibility issues with the Win 10 OS, with old software. Thanks.

Windows 7 will receive updates until 2020, Windows 8 will receive updates until 2023.
Can you link me to the source of this info?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Roger after you get Windows 10 review it so I will know whether to upgrade or not.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
I've registered for the free upgrade but I'm not planning on upgrading yet, will likely wait until SP1 is released or the one year timeline is about to end.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Roger after you get Windows 10 review it so I will know whether to upgrade or not.
I sure will, as can anyone else too, who is brave enough to commit, starting tomorrow. I probably won't till someone else has borne the consequences of the shift :lol:

*baits Pratik*

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
I've been running the RTM without any major issues, either soft or hardware. MY Logitech MX Mouse needs the special software that allows you to fiddle around with the 9 parts of the mouse to set it to do things - that needs upgrading, but the basic mouse driver is fine... haven't had any probs with 3 different office suites, DTP, a lot of different multimedia apps. Games - can't really say cos for the last few years I've tended to play casual games, and they don't tend to be over demanding of an OS

However, I did just install the new version of Linux Mint, because I was NOT impressed by their new plan to force automatic upgrades down your throat - although I see they're already beginning to walk back on that. Apparently it's likely that you'll have an option in the Pro version (that you'll have to ferret out) to delay to the point of bypassing driver and feature updates, but will still have to "accept" the security updates. Similar to the options Enterprise will have. Home edition however, is force feed time.

And came across this gif in "celebration" of the launch tomorrow

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am on Windows 8.1. When I brought my system, it had 8, and then there was this upgrade to 8.1. I sincerely didn't care much for the previous upgrade, as all my needs are met as it is. If at all, I am more concerned regarding the compatibility issues with the Win 10 OS, with old software. Thanks.

Can you link me to the source of this info?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

To be honest I very much doubt you will ever need to use a piece of software that only runs on Windows 10 but I admit my knowledge on the new windows OS and software compatibility is pretty limited.

Ultimately, if you're happy with your machine and your current OS, forget whatever else is happening out there. If you don't want to, make sure to take backups :)

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
Windows 7 here, 6.1 build 7601 (current since Feb 2011).
Have been using this on a desktop and at least one laptop for 4+ years straight, and it's the most stable Windows I've ever used by far.
No re-installs for stability or Windows-related issues in that time.

XP was bug and security hole city, Vista barely booted half the time from my personal experience, and 8 is for tablets, period.
If you have a proper desktop with decent innards, look no further than 6.1.7601.

Haven't tried Win10 yet, although I have signed up for the "free" upgrade.
At its core though, I'm pretty sure it's just MS trying to push the core features of 8 onto 7 stalwarts such as myself.

Not buying it, Bill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts