Mens Tennis Forums banner

Updated : Entry List

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  J. Corwin 
#1 · (Edited)
Here below list is official players list I got it from Press Release. (As of 22 Aug 2003). They are also showing in the official website.

Entry list (ranking : as of 18/8/2003)

1 Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) 3
2 Andy Roddick (USA) 4
3 Carlos Moya (ESP) 7
4 Paradorn Srichaphan (THA) 11
5 Feliciano Lopez (ESP) 29
6 Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) 39
7 Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) 43
8 Fabrice Santoro (FRA) 59
9 Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR) 65
10 Kenneth Carlsen (DEN) 72
11 Taylor Dent (USA) 73
12 Mario Ancic (CRO) 74
13 Brian Vahaly (USA) 79
14 Davide Sanguinetti (ITA) 87
15 Werner Eschauer (AUT) 96
16 Wesley Moodie (RSA) 97
17 Gregory Carraz (FRA) 102
18 Cyril Saulnier (FRA) 103
19 Alexander Popp (GER) 105
20 Nicolas Thomann (FRA) 108
21 Dick Norman (BEL) 111
22 Ivan Miranda (PER) 115
23 Thierry Ascione (FRA) 117
24 Alex Bogomolov (USA) 119
25 Bohdan Ulihrach (CZE) 169

Marat and Hewitt have their name in the news from the beginning. It seemed like they won't come. :sad: I think they will be playing Shanghai.

The tournament Managing Director is now trying to negotiate to get Agassi to play in the tournament. However he is reportedly asking US$400,000 (around 16 million baht) to appear. I'm surprising why we have to pay that much. :confused: :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Players Entry List

Safin has been confirmed to play Shanghai as long as his injury woundn't matter then. He will be along with his sister (forgot the name) who is playing WTA Polo Open Shanghai before the ATP Shanghai event. The stange thing is Jiri Novak has appeared on the Shanghai enrty list as well. He can't be playing two events in one week, can he? Six hours' flight between Bangkok and Shanghai.

#5 ·
Re: Re: Players Entry List

danker said:
Feliciano Lopez & Vladimir Voltchkov are also confirmed to take part.

It's so frustrating that the organisers still haven't released the full list even though the deadline was on Monday... :mad:
Thanks Danker :worship:

ATP THAILAND OPEN
Lopez, Voltchkov join action
Tor Chittinand

Spain's Feliciano Lopez and Vladimir Voltchkov from Belarus are the two latest additions to the first-ever world-ranking ATP tournament, the Thailand Open, to be held at Muang Thong Thani from Sept 20-28.

The left-handed Lopez shocked Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan at the Tennis Masters Series in Cincinnati earlier this week.

At Wimbledon 2000 Voltchkov became the first qualifier to reach the semi-finals since John McEnroe. Known as the ``Vladiator'' he could be one of the dark horses to win the Thailand Open..

``Lopez joins his fellow top countrymen Juan Carlos Ferrero and Carlos Moya to form an exciting and dangerous Spanish `Armada' at the Thailand Open,'' said Brian L. Marcar, managing director of tournament promoter and entertainment giant BEC-TERO Entertainment.

``The Thailand Open will provide a spectacular nine days of the world's most exciting tennis action to the public,'' he said.

Meanwhile, the Dusit Thani has been appointed the official hotel of the ATP tournament.

``We are honoured to play host to the world's top players during this prestigious event,'' said Stanley Pao, general manager of The Dusit Thani.

``This is a very large-scale tournament and we expect over 70 players from around the world.''

#7 ·
Updated players list:

For Immediate Release
18th August, 2003

American Taylor Dent & Frenchman Fabrice Santoro to play at Thailand Open 2003

Joining Spaniard Feliciano Lopez and Belarussian Vladimir Voltchkov to play at the first ever world ranking ATP tournament in Thailand - Thailand Open, are the big-serving American Taylor Dent and French Davis Cup Star Fabrice Santoro.

“We can now confirm Taylor Dent and Fabrice Santoro will participate at the first ever Thailand Open,” said Mr. Chaiyapak Siriwat, Chairman of the Thailand Open Organizing Committee. “The world’s top players will be battling for valuable ATP world ranking points which will determine their end-of-year world rankings,” he added.

Taylor Dent is the son of the former Australian great player, Phil Dent and former top 10 US female player, Betty Ann Grubb. The 22 year-old rising young star is one of America’s next generation of top players and in his short career has already won 2-ATP titles, including this year’s ATP title in Memphis.

The versatile Frenchman Fabrice Santoro has amassed a total of 4 ATP singles titles and 11 doubles titles. Santoro is in great form having disposed of reigning Champion Carlos Moya at the Tennis Masters Series Cincinnati last week. “I won over the defending champion, I’m just happy because I beat a great player – one of the best in the world,” said Santoro after his triumph in 3 gruelling sets.

“What fantastic additions to the Thailand Open. I’m looking forward to the raw power of Taylor Dent who last year registered the fastest serve ever at Wimbledon at 144 mph (232 kmh),” said Brian L. Marcar, Managing Director of tournament promoter and entertainment giant BEC-TERO Entertainment. “For Santoro to have won over US$ 6 million in career prize-money shows what a quality player he is. Both Dent and Santoro add to the great depth of the Thailand Open field,” enthused Mr. Marcar.

#8 · (Edited)
Updated players list (19 Aug) :worship: :worship: :worship:

For Immediate Release
18th August, 2003

Croatians Ivan Ljubicic & Mario Ancic to play at Thailand Open

Bangkok will be welcoming Croatians Ivan Ljubicic and Mario Ancic, who have confirmed to play at the Thailand Open ATP tennis tournament.

“The latest players confirmed to play at the first-ever Thailand Open are Mario Ancic and Ivan Ljubicic,” said Mr. Chaiyapak Siriwat, Chairman of the Thailand Open Organizing Committee. “As the Thailand Open is played towards the end of the ATP calendar, top players are targeting the Event to earn valuable ATP ranking points which will determine their all important end-of-year World Rankings,” he added.

The No.1 Croat Ivan Ljubicic is a close friend of countryman and 2001 Wimbledon Champion Goran Ivanisevic. He keeps a picture of Ivanisevic with the Wimbledon trophy in his pocket. “It shows that if you want something so much, so badly, that it will come,” says Ljubicic, whose first ATP title in Lyon in 2001 was inspired by Ivanisevic’s triumph at Wimbledon earlier that year.

The talented teenager Mario Ancic has practiced with Ivanisevic since age 10 and has similar mannerisms and a resemblance to his hero. He made the headlines last year when he defeated Roger Federer at Wimbledon in the first round. He was nicknamed “Super Mario” after that great victory.

“Ljubicic and Ancic’s rise in the ATP rankings have been inspired by the mercurial Goran Ivanisevic, a great tennis champion and champion of the nation of Croatia,” said Brian L. Marcar, Managing Director of tournament promoter and entertainment giant BEC-TERO Entertainment. “The two Croatians will form a formidable ‘Eastern Bloc’ at the Thailand Open,” added Mr. Marcar.

“I am looking forward to playing in Bangkok but I know it will be very tough as a lot of good players are playing there including Andy Roddick,” said Ancic.

Roddick claimed the Tennis Masters title in Cincinnati on Sunday and moved into the lead of the ATP Champions Race. He has won 29 of 31 matches since teaming up with superstar coach Brad Gilbert in June and will take a 12-match winning streak into the US Open. Red-hot Roddick has won a season high of five ATP titles from his last ten tournaments and Thai fans have a great opportunity to watch the thrilling American phenomenon live at the Thailand Open.

#9 · (Edited)
Updated player list (20/8/2003) :wavey:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
20th August 2003

Italian Davide Sanguinetti, German Alexander Popp and Belgium Dick Norman Join Thailand Open

Tough Europeans Davide Sanguinetti, Alexander Popp and Dick Norman are the latest players confirmed to play the Thailand Open.

“The winner of two ATP titles Davide Sanguinetti from Italy, together with two of the tallest players on the ATP circuit, German Alexander Popp and Belgian Dick Norman, confirmed their participation in the first-ever Thailand Open,” said Mr. Chaiyapak Siriwat, Chairman of the Thailand Open Organizing Committee. “The players are battling for the all-important ATP World Ranking points on offer at the Thailand Open,” he added.

Like fine wine, Sanguinetti gets better with age, capturing his first career ATP titles last year in Milan and Delray Beach at age 29. The Italian number one, who has already reached the ATP final in San Jose this year, is looking to continue his vintage displays at the Thailand.

The towering Alexander Popp (6’7”) and Dick Norman (6’8”) have been very imposing figures to opponents facing these two fine players, both of whom send down explosive serves from their lofty heights. Their serves have proved particularly menacing on the hollowed turf at Wimbledon where both Popp and Norman have produced their best results.

The German reached the quarter-final at Wimbledon 2000 with notable wins over Chang and Kuerten, and this year narrowly losing his quarter-final match 8 – 6 in the fifth set against eventual finalist Philippoussis. Norman overpowered Stefan Edberg at Wimbledon 1995 on his way to the fourth round before losing to Boris Becker.

“The styles of play between the big-serving Norman and Popp is a stark difference to the artistry of Sanguinetti. It’s very exciting that all the fantastic players confirmed to play at the Thailand Open ATP tournament have contrasting styles of play, which I’m sure will produce some great tennis action for the fans,” said Brian L. Marcar, Managing Director of tournament promoter and entertainment giant BEC-TERO Entertainment.

“Thailand will be such an exciting place for me to come to but the tournament will be very tough with Andy (Roddick), Juan Carlos (Ferrero), Carlos (Moya) and Paradorn competing,” said Alexander Popp. Roddick is on a hot streak, becoming just the third player in the past 15 years (his coach Brad Gilbert and Andre Agassi are the others) to amass 20 wins during the US hard court season leading into the US Open.

The Thailand Open will provide a great opportunity for fans to participate and be close to all the excitement of the Event and the ATP players. Thailand’s first-ever ATP men’s professional tennis tournament is seeking volunteers for numerous positions. If you are interested in volunteering and want to be a part of Thailand’s premier sporting Event or have further questions, please call Stuart McDonnell at 0-2262-3835.

The Thailand Open will be played at Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani from 20 – 28 September, 2003.

#10 ·
Updated player list (22/8/2003)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
22nd August 2003

Scandinavians Jarkko Nieminen and Kenneth Carlsen to join Thailand Open Field

Scandinavians Jarkko Nieminen and Kenneth Carlsen are the latest players to confirm entry into the Thailand Open, the ATP World Ranking Event to be held in the Kingdom.

“Finnish No.1 Jarkko Nieminen and Danish No.1 Kenneth Carlsen have confirmed to play at the Thailand Open, which will offer valuable ATP World Ranking points,” said Mr. Chaiyapak Siriwat, Chairman of the Thailand Open Organizing Committee. “The appearance of these two top players travelling from such long distances in Europe highlights the importance of the inaugural ATP men’s professional tennis tournament in Thailand,” he added.

Just like Paradorn in Thailand, the success of the powerful Nieminen on the ATP circuit has skyrocketed the popularity of tennis in Finland, where ice hockey and football are the dominant sports. Nieminen has already reached three ATP finals in his short career and his thrilling brand of tennis has already prompted the great Bjorn Borg to say “I think he could become a great personality.”

The tall, blond Kenneth Carlsen is no stranger to the limelight having signed with a top modelling agency in Copenhagen last year. For now, modelling is still only a secondary career for the Dane as he aims to add to the two ATP titles that he has already won.

“Playing in Asia has produced my best moments in my career, where I won my ATP titles in Hong Kong and Tokyo, so I am really looking forward to competing in Thailand,” said Carlsen.

“The Thailand Open has a good number of left-handed players with Nieminen, Carlsen, Lopez and Norman now confirmed to play. Lefthanders produce wonderful shots and create some amazing angles which I’m sure will delight fans watching this great Event”, said Brian L. Marcar, Managing Director of tournament promoter and entertainment giant BEC-TERO Entertainment. “I’m really looking forward to witnessing some great matches at the first ever Thailand Open,” he added.

The Thailand Open will be played at Impact Arena, Muang Thong Thani from 20 – 28 September, 2003. Also confirmed to play are 2003 French Open Champion Juan Carlos Ferrero, former World No.1 Carlos Moya, ATP Champions Race No.1 Andy Roddick and Thailand’s own Paradorn Srichaphan.

#15 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Updated : Entry List

star_tennis said:
Dear Jiro
Last Sunday some of my friend said Roddick do not confirm to come to BKK.But I hope he will confirm at the last day.Could you update for me?
Hi Cindy, :worship:
As far as I know A-Rod is still doubtful because he has to play Davis Cup till Sunday 21 in Slovak Republic. A-Rod has to reach Bangkok on Tuesday 23, I think it's tough for him to fly from Slovak Republic to Thailand. If he comes, he has to play the 1st round match on Wednesday 24. I think he won't be able to do well because he need the time to adjust the condition and the jet-lag may cause him get out in the 1st round.

BTW, Mr. Chaipak Siriwat, chairman of the Thailand Open 2003 confirmed that A-Rod will come. Just wait and see !!!! :confused:

More news which I've been posting in Davis Cup forum:

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is expected to attend the tournament on Tuesday 23 evening to watch Paradorn play his opening match.

The two star Spanish players, French Open champion and world No 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero and Carlos Moya, will arrive in Bangkok next Tuesday 23 morning.

#16 ·
Is tougher to come from Slovakia to Bangkok than from Malaga to Bangkok? The spanish stars will be very tired after a tough Semifinal Davis Cup tie when they arrive Bangkok. Pdorn has himself a great chance to win his first nation's title. ARod does not have Bangkok on his schedule, go look at his website. He has no intention to go.

Go Pdorn.

#17 ·
Dear Jiro
Thank you for your news I hope Thai people can see the real A Rod....:eek:)
I just asked for the ticket frm somebody at Thai inter and I can see the match everyday.This Tuesday Thai inter invite JC Ferrero,Moya and...to have lunch at Conrard Hotel maybe I can go to join there too...If you need the ticket pls call me asap.

#18 ·
Just got e-mail from The Thailand Open 2003 Organizing Committee.

I'm invited to attend the Main Draw Ceremony for the Thailand Open 2003 on Saturday, September 20, 2003 at 13:30-15:00 hrs at the Thailand Open Media Center, Impact Arena, Muangthong Thani.

:D :D :D

#19 ·
Nice, Jirobkk! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.