Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time in Bucharest for me, and I couldnt miss the 1st day of qualifying at Nastase-Tiriac Trophy.

It was a cloudy and windy day, with a 40 min rain interruption around 3 PM, followed by anbother one about 90 min later.

Giustino def. Kamke 7-6 6-3
Watched the 1st set, both players had difficulties adjusting to the windy conditions. Still it was a good level with long rallies, Kamke was more aggresive but made too many mistakes. Giustino was patient and waited for his chance to counteropunch, especially with the fh down the line. Also the Italian has a much better serve, which earned him some free points, most important the ace at 6-5 in the TB, after Kamke missed 3 SP, one after a 20 plus shots rally, and one with a DF. Very close set, it was obvious that whoever wins will eventually win the match.

Apostol def. Setkic 6-4 6-3
Didn’t see it because it was at the same time with the Kamke – Giustino match. A big surprise, and the biggest win for Apostol so far. I will definitely try to see him play tomorrow.

Cox def. Djere 7-6 6-2
Caught only bits as it was on a side court…Cox looked chubby, I’m surprised he won given that Djere plays many more clay tournaments.

Cornea def. Androic 6-4 6-4
Wathced the whole match, probably the biggest surprise of the day. Androic started with a 2-0 lead and it seemed that it would be a routine win, but Cornea quickly turned the match around. The Romanian played much better than his ranking suggests, made very few errors, served vey good and was solid at the net. Also he resisted in long rallies where Androic should have had an advantage. The Croatian didn’t look too worried, like he never believed he will lose until 3-5 in the 2nd set when he started to get anxious and look desperately at Mektic who was encouraging him from the sideline.

Fabbiano def. Hernych 6-2 4-6 7-6
Saw only parts, good level of play, Hernych was very relaxed and played with patience, waiting for the Italians errors. Fabbiano deserved the win as he was the more aggressive and positive player…too bad the match ended with a DF.

Donskoy def. Paval 6-2 6-0.
Didn’t see it, but an expected result.

Ungur – Tatomir 6-1 5-7 1-2 int.
Watched until the 1st rain interruption at 6-1 2-2…Ungur was very solid, while Tatomir made many errors, although he’s got some powerful groundstrokes. I’m surprised he turned the 2nd set around, but still I see Ungur as a favourite to qualify further.

Desein – Krstin 6-2 0-3 int.
Very good match with entertaining points. The 1st set was closer than the score suggests, but Desein won the key points. Krstin took an important lead in the 2nd set before the rain interruption, I expect this one to be a 3-setter with Krstin winning in a close decider.

Lazov – Guccione 6-4 int.
The Gooch didn’t even try to return any serves he couldn’t reach. His serve is still great but he is so so slow and Lazov passed him a few times with ease. Lazov is nothing special but will win, because The Gooch simply doesn’t seem to care.

Albot – Davydenko 6-2 6-1
The Russian didn’t exist in this match. I went to the bathroom at 1-0 in the 2nd and when I returned it was already over.

That’s all for now, pictures will follow later :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re: Bucharest Qualifying Reports - Day 1

thanks for the report:)

whats going on with ciorcila? wasnt he a big hope for romania?

or alex ghilea
As far as I know, Ciorcila won't be playing until mid-summer, he is finishing highschool this year and preparing for exams.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts

Qualies :hearts:

shame to see Red pretty much done :( and nice to see Donskoy winning, too. Always thought he could be doing much better...

are you going tomorrow/some other day?

·
MONSOON season.
82,262 Posts

Thanks for the report :yeah:

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

how did second day go?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts

As far as I know, Ciorcila won't be playing until mid-summer, he is finishing highschool this year and preparing for exams.
He did intense studying in Dubai along with his girlfriend. I think he is going to become a geek and never see him in tennis again.

·
Registered
11,537 Posts

Cornea def. Androic 6-4 6-4
Wathced the whole match, probably the biggest surprise of the day. Androic started with a 2-0 lead and it seemed that it would be a routine win, but Cornea quickly turned the match around. The Romanian played much better than his ranking suggests, made very few errors, served vey good and was solid at the net. Also he resisted in long rallies where Androic should have had an advantage. The Croatian didn’t look too worried, like he never believed he will lose until 3-5 in the 2nd set when he started to get anxious and look desperately at Mektic who was encouraging him from the sideline.
no sir.... :lol:

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

He did intense studying in Dubai along with his girlfriend. I think he is going to become a geek and never see him in tennis again.
I cant fault him for wanting an education but i guess for romania's sake i hope that he continues. they dont have much on the mens side to be happy about right now

·
Registered
12,617 Posts

So that's where Victor Cornea has been. He was playing college tennis at the small and unranked school of Middle Tennessee State and transferred to Texas Tech. He played therein Lubbock for like 2 months and then suddenly was no longer on the roster. Left the team mid-season under odd circumstances.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts

I cant fault him for wanting an education but i guess for romania's sake i hope that he continues. they dont have much on the mens side to be happy about right now
Trust me, he is like fully devoted to his studies. He couldn't even go to all those fancy restaurants in Dubai, or go to the beach, or do all the awesome stuff you can do in Dubai because he was spending day and night studying...

Now seriously, he will easily pass his exams because his family has a lot of money and that's enough in Romania not to have any problems there. The only reason i see he is not playing is that he does not have any motivation to do so. I mean, he has a great rich life. Why would he work?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

With my apologies for the delay, here are day 2 reports:

Ungur def. Tatomir 6-1 5-7 6-4

I arrived at 4-3 in the 3rd for Tatomir, right after Ungur broke back. The last three games Ungur was better, even if the crowd was cheering for Tatomir more. Too many errors in the end for the young Romanian, but this scoreline should give him confidence for the future.

G.Melzer def. Ignatik 6-4 6-4

The first 8 games both players went head to head, winning their games with relative ease. Melzer was more aggresive especially with his lefty forehand down the line, while Ignatik engaged in long rallies without putting enough pressure on the Austrian. The last 2 games of the first set were the best of the match with great points from both players. In the beggining of the 2nd set Ignatik lost again his serve and already looked like he knew he will lose the match...only because Melzer also played worse in the 2nd and was returning pretty bad made him win 4 games. Deserved win for Melzer, but I was dissapointed by Ignatik who I seriously doubt could ever reach top 100.

Krstin def. Desein 2-6 6-1 6-3

Watched it from 0-3 in the 3rd for Desein. The Belgian looked tired and got a medical timeout at 2-3. He didn't play bad but Krstin made very few errors and was very determined. He will play Mektic today, and if plays like yesterday he should beat him rather easy.

Lazov def. Guccione 6-4 6-3

Guccione continued with his S&V even after the first set in which it was obvious it doesn't work. Lazov passed him at least 7 or 8 times in the 2nd set, in fact all he had to do is to place the ball near the corners and it was over. Most boring match of the day.

Dima def. Albot 6-4 7-6

By far the match of the day. It was the first time I saw Dima play, and I must say he played like a regular top 200 today. Although he is simmilar phisically with Albot, he has a much bigger shot making abbility. His forehand is very good and his one-handed BH was deep enough to keep Albot on the baseline in the rallies. Albot is a very good defensive player, saved some impossible points but made too many mistakes when he tried to be offensive. There was also a large crowd at this match (300-400 spect.), who cheered loudly for Dima in the end. Albot missed some set points in the 2nd set, one of them with an easy FH volley at the net. Great match with long rallies, spectacular points at the net, between the legs shots and an unbeliveable passing shot from Dima at 5-4 and set point, which boosted his confidence for the rest of the match.

Giustino def. Apostol 6-4 3-6 6-2

Saw only glimpsed of this match...Apostol has a big serve and powerful groundstrokes, but still he lacks experience. Giustino looked relaxed and focused, has a nice playing style and I hope he will beat Donskoy in the FQR.

I also made lots of photos, which I will try to upload later :wavey:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts