Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
mathias bourgue has won 4 consecutive futures title on clay late weeks, by dropping only 3 sets in 20 matches total

quite a good achievement for the french, should get into top 300 in the rankings soon!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Re: Mathias Bourgue(94) wins 4 futures in a row!

I saw him last year. He was on futures in Bourgas - my home town. He reached the final and lost to Tihomir Grozdanov. Pretty decent future ahead of him :) I also saw his match preparation in the sea garden and I wished him good luck. He seemed really surprised that someone knows him :wavey:

·
Registered
19,156 Posts

No disrespect but the futures he's winning right now are pretty week. Even though i saw him in a challenger in South America recently where he really played well and he also managed to win two qualifying rounds in Roland Garros so definetly he has some game. The problem for me is why isn't he making the step to the challenger tour playing more challenger tournaments and give up on futures already? He's 20 years old, if he wants to be a prospect he should start playing challengers

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

yeah he lost 36 76 63 to lorenzi in qualifying round in roland garros this year. he is improving a lot...i ve seen him in 2010 or 2011 in a future and he was so crazy, and then after a couple of years he was more calm and focused. he has big groundstrokes

·
Registered
5,293 Posts

I don't like how he choses to play only in very weak futures he was already vulturing some futures in Asia last year. He is good from what I saw in the SA challengers but his scheduling shows how he wants to rise in the rankings. When he played a CH in Romania he lost to Cacic so there's nothing to be excited about in these 4 tournament wins.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts

Only 1 top 500 win (#433) in that run as far as I can see, but good on him nonetheless.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts

Only 1 top 500 win (#433) in that run as far as I can see, but good on him nonetheless.
Definitely not the toughest of events, but he also handed out a lot of bagels and breadsticks along the way, even in later rounds. Great consistency :yeah:

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts

I don't like how he choses to play only in very weak futures he was already vulturing some futures in Asia last year. He is good from what I saw in the SA challengers but his scheduling shows how he wants to rise in the rankings. When he played a CH in Romania he lost to Cacic so there's nothing to be excited about in these 4 tournament wins.
Lost to Cacic in three close sets. Cacic went on to reach the QF and a SF in 2/3 Challengers he played after that.

We can choose to be pessimists, but this is a great run.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts

No disrespect but the futures he's winning right now are pretty week. Even though i saw him in a challenger in South America recently where he really played well and he also managed to win two qualifying rounds in Roland Garros so definetly he has some game. The problem for me is why isn't he making the step to the challenger tour playing more challenger tournaments and give up on futures already? He's 20 years old, if he wants to be a prospect he should start playing challengers
He tried earlier this year to play some challengers, but he was still just below that level.
With this good run in Futures, I think it'll be the time for him to retry ;)

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts

Well if he is top 300 now, he should have challenger direct entry so he should definitely try to get himself at least into top 250 by end of season to make AO qualies. 4 futures wins in a row, no matter how much vulturing is done, is very good for 20 years old

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

make it 5 futures! just won another one this week!!!!

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Re: update: Mathias Bourgue(94) wins 5 futures in a row!

I guess we can call him a future(s) vulture :cool:

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

pretty useless though, I mean good for him but he may create a mental block for himself if he doesn't step up to the plate and schedule to play more Challengers rather than Futures

·
Registered
19,156 Posts

Make that 6 :lol: Claudio Fortuna retired at 1-6 0-1 in the final in Pitesti, Romania

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

wow, amazing...

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

Buddy, it's better if you write 1994 or '94. Like some people here, I also thought that he's 94 years old. :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts