1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Philippoussis Wins In Straight Sets
July 29, 2003
AP

LOS ANGELES (AP) Wimbledon runner-up Mark Philippoussis opened his U.S. hardcourt season with a straight-set victory over Adam Kennedy in the first round of the Mercedes-Benz Cup on Tuesday.

Philippoussis, the fifth seed in the $380,000 ATP Tour event, won 6-3, 6-2 in his first singles match since losing the Wimbledon final to Roger Federer on July 6.

Top-seeded Lleyton Hewitt faced Cecil Mamiit in a first-round match Tuesday night.

Philippoussis, 26-12 in singles matches this year, said playing doubles with Hewitt on Monday in this tournament was "key" in adjusting to conditions at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.

But, Philippoussis said, the real key to his resurgence after three knee operations in 14 months was having fun.

"I'm not looking at the rankings at all," said Philippoussis, who is ranked 20th in the world. "All I'm looking at is staying healthy. I'm enjoying the challenge (of playing) a lot. I'm just enjoying myself. It's been more than a year since I've been healthy, knock on wood."

Meanwhile, former U.S. Open champion Marat Safin may have played his final match of the season. Safin, seeded sixth, retired from his first-round match against Prakash Amritraj due to an injured left wrist, then hinted that he may not play again this year.

"I got injured and I felt a lot of pain. I could not hit a backhand and I decided to stop," said Safin, who said he didn't know when asked about a return to the tour.

"It's all open," he said. "It depends on the doctor. I have to find a solution. Anyway, it's the end of the season so I need to find out and be prepared for next season."

The 19-year-old Amritraj, ranked 351st in the world, wasn't the only surprise winner. Thirty-year-old veteran Michael Joyce, playing his first tour match of the year, upset Jan-Michael Gambill, 7-6 (5), 2-6, 7-6 (4) in a match that had been suspended Monday night due to rain.

In other first-round results Tuesday, third-seeded Sjeng Schalken beat Safin's coach, Denis Golovanov, 6-4, 6-4; No. 7 Wayne Ferreira eliminated Robert Yim 6-4, 6-4; No. 8 Vincent Spadea topped Justin Gimelstob 6-4, 6-3; Nicolas Kiefer defeated Nicolas Thomann 6-1, 6-4; and Robby Ginepri beat Andrew Ilie 6-1, 6-1.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Re: Marat reinjures wrist, hints he may be out for season

First Tommy, now Marat. :sad: Get well soon, both of you, so you can return to the top where you belong! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts

This is a fork in the road time for Marat. Either it's going to mold him into a focused and hungry fighter when he returns or a broken man with the promise of greatness forever lost to Tennis. A Grant Hill with a fractured psyche rather than a fractured ankle. For the sake of the game, I hope it is the former and not the latter.

Get well Marat. Tennis needs you.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Marat :sad: Just when I'm gearing up for his return, such unfortunate incident had to happen.
Get well soon Marat.
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
*needs a bucket for tears* ;)

·
Registered
9,325 Posts

feel the same, hermione :sad: :sad: :sad:

GET WELL SOON MARAT :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
17,684 Posts

me really sad too :sad: :sad: :sad:

this whole season has been a horrible one :(

now when he comes back he'll need WC's to get in maindraws as he won't have an injury rank.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts

Knowing Marat he will probably try to play more tournaments! Stubborn, stubborn fool!

·
Registered
133 Posts

lol yeah he is isnt he! thats why I like him. anywayz I agree with all you ya, tennis won't be the same without him.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Originally posted by hal
This is a fork in the road time for Marat. Either it's going to mold him into a focused and hungry fighter when he returns or a broken man with the promise of greatness forever lost to Tennis. A Grant Hill with a fractured psyche rather than a fractured ankle. For the sake of the game, I hope it is the former and not the latter.

Get well Marat. Tennis needs you.
You make a good point, hal. I'm really upset for Marat and the sport. It needs him! I'm trying to keep this in perspective, though. A lot of professional athletes have bouts with injury and are still able to regain competitive form. I just hope Marat can come back 100%. (Grrrrrr I am miffed and sad at the same time!! :mad: :( )

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: Just read in the player forum that Marat will be wearing a cast for two weeks, and may be playing thereafter. Is he trying to still play the US Open:confused:

I'm not sure how I feel about this news (you can read what I wrote in the forum). I hope he is making the right decision...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts