Mens Tennis Forums banner

Until what age can Karlovic keep on playing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 35 year old's ranking path of the last year and a half is looking like that of someone twice his junior, going from #155 to his current projected ranking of #32, a slam seed! Not even the world number 12 can stop him on clay these days. Until what age can he realistically stay competitive, let's say top 100?

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
Dont know how competitive he can maintain, but i figure he would like a chance to go to Rio16. The way he shoots aces he can give alot of problems to some top10.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
He has secure himself a year and a half more today :D

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
He has secure himself a year and a half more today :D
How a year and a half?

I'm a bit surprised he's as high as he is, right now. He looked brown bread not that long ago. It'll depend on how long he can stay injury free for.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I always think with tennis, it's in a players head, if they love tennis and can take the inevitable lows and highs that come with being a tennis player then they can go on as long as they like INJURY permitting of course.

I can see him playing for another 2-3 years at least, he appears to still love the game and his serve is still firing so keep going until you can no more. That's what I say anyway.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
How a year and a half?
With his good seeding right now, staying injury free and with the best part of the season starting for him, I`m sure he can get let`s say, 20 victories from now on, and then, have a year and a half more in the top 100.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
With his good seeding right now, staying injury free and with the best part of the season starting for him, I`m sure he can get let`s say, 20 victories from now on, and then, have a year and a half more in the top 100.
I get you now, you mean the rest of this season then half of the season next year? A year and a half would mean that from now until the Australian Open 2016 basically.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Connors dropped out of top 100 after 40 and his serve was nothing special. if karlovic stays free injured and with hunger of tennis, top 100 at 40 is possible.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
He can play until his serve starts to fail, which may be when he's 50, who knows. The rest of his game has always been terrible, it isn't likely to make much difference how old he is.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
No limits. I thought he was done last year and then at 34/35 yrs old he came back into top 35 and beating young people like Dimitrov handily. He can go till 45, for sure. Don't think he will though

·
Registered
83 Posts
It took Dimitrov 5 years to get a ranking, from #155, that Karlovic gaines in a year at the age of 34. Same for Dolgopolov. Not to mention all these american talents (Harrison, Young) who never even got to this stage.
Unless some good youngsters arrive, the top 100 can consist of basically the same people for another five years. Who's there to keep him out of the top 100?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
i bet he can play until 45 if injury free. His style isn't the most demanding, his main weapon is relevant any day of the year and the rest of his shots just can't get any worse (normally though, coz today the guy seems to have been more than solid).

So yeah, i think in the Connors range.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
From all accounts I've heard Ivo looks after his fitness and spends a lot of time working off court. I think he's planning to ride the tour as far as it will take him (he's had some low periods so he appreciates the highs) and I really can't see him falling far quickly talentwise. He's had a lot of ups and downs with injuries and comebacks over the years and he know what he's doing and how to schedule. I expect to see him going until 2020 or very close to that at least. I could see him setting ATP records related to age (e.g. highest ranked 40+ year old) in addition to all the ones he's setting regarding height and serving.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
i think at least 2 years if injury free he could end up top 50, it´s easy to stay there once you are there, Ivo used to struggle in qualifcations and lost many R1 matches, but with better ranking and direct entry in MD he should be fine. This year i can see top 30 YE ranking for him

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
As long as it's fun for him and gets him a lot of $$$ he should keep going. Entering top 30 again would be remarkable for this guy.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
As long as it's fun for him and gets him a lot of $$$ he should keep going. Entering top 30 again would be remarkable for this guy.
Yeah, to drop out and go deep down into the 100s and then come back proves the first time wasn't a fluke and will really confirm the level of player he is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts