Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a fan of Nadal's playing style and I don't agree with his on-court antics but what I'd like to know from Nadal fans is how's it that Nadal's pain tolerance threshold is so high?

I really don't get it. Why is it that some people like Nadal are willing to put themselves through so much punishment and pain, specially in their growing years compared to other tennis players who are also trying to make a career out of tennis? Why don't they quit when it's too painful or is their threshold of pain just higher than the average joe?

I strongly believe that unless you're a savant like Federer(and even he trains at ridiculously high temperatures in Dubai), all professional players are working as hard as possible.

So what is it that separates them from the other tennis players and even normal folk? Why can't we endure the same pain as they do?

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
You'd be as motivated as him too if you went home to Xisca every day.

·
Registered
619 Posts
When you play all time with pain, we are used to live with it. I think, on one year, Nadal has to play what? 10% of his match without any pain? May be less. So, yeah, it is huge because he has a high thresehold but it will be bad because he don’t know the moment to say stop.

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
I'm not a fan of Nadal's playing style and I don't agree with his on-court antics but what I'd like to know from Nadal fans is how's it that Nadal's pain tolerance threshold is so high?

I really don't get it. Why is it that some people like Nadal are willing to put themselves through so much punishment and pain, specially in their growing years compared to other tennis players who are also trying to make a career out of tennis? Why don't they quit when it's too painful or is their threshold of pain just higher than the average joe?

I strongly believe that unless you're a savant like Federer(and even he trains at ridiculously high temperatures in Dubai), all professional players are working as hard as possible.

So what is it that separates them from the other tennis players and even normal folk? Why can't we endure the same pain as they do?
Utter and absolute commitment to the task at hand regardless of pain

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
Strangely enough yet somehow he always overcomes this pain and is able to continue his play.

If you are in real real pain you are unable to play. Some people would know what I mean.
Injury and pain are not necessarily the same thing. You can't play if injured, and if you do you're just hurting yourself.

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
Strangely enough yet somehow he always overcomes this pain and is able to continue his play.

If you are in real real pain you are unable to play. Some people would know what I mean.
There is a sliding scale of pain my friend. What one person considers a 9/10 in pain and cannot play, another considers only a 5 and will go. I think this is what monfed was getting at.

Then again, some players like the pain. Some play better in pain.

Just because you are on court doesn't mean you are healthy. Far from it. Safe to say most every player walks into every match with a little something

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Well, I have to go to work every morning, if I have a headache or shoulder or back pain, it's not going to excuse me (unless it's really bad that I have to go see a doctor) and goes without saying I'm not earning even a fraction of what Nadal is. :)

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
Well, I have to go to work every morning, if I have a headache or shoulder or back pain, it's not going to excuse me (unless it's really bad that I have to go see a doctor) and goes without saying I'm not earning even a fraction of what Nadal is. :)
The difference is, ur not a professional athlete

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
I truly don't care, they all get milliond so for me if they step on court it means they ate fit to play and believe they have a chance

All players deal with injures, the more u count on ur power and less technic the chances for an injury is higher.
Rafa is not special then Ferrer or any other player.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts

Youre sitting at your desk, not reliant on physical features to succeed.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
The difference is, ur not a professional athlete
Do you think you only professional athletes can feel painful? :lol:

Youre sitting at your desk, not reliant on physical features to succeed.
O rly? Try completing an important/complex task when you have a raging headache or when you can't feel your butt anymore because you are sitting for 12+ hours. Bulk of Nadal's matches will be some pedestrian 62 63 and over in 2 hours tops.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
Do you think you only professional athletes can feel painful? :lol:

O rly? Try completing an important/complex task when you have a raging headache or when you can't feel your butt anymore because you are sitting for 12+ hours. Bulk of Nadal's matches will be some pedestrian 62 63 and over in 2 hours tops.
Everyone feel pain but if im a banker and my leg is hurting thats not so bad bc i just need my hands to my job unlike rafa

·
|
14,290 Posts

Its psychological.
Nadal says his favorite match of all-time is 2012 Australian Open Final.
Why does he loves this loss more than all the wins?
Because he enjoys fighting more than he enjoys winning.
I've even heard him say something like "I enjoy the pain".
If you love fighting, and you enjoy the challenge of pain....you can take a lot of punishment.

·
|
14,290 Posts
Uncle Toni has informed us he's been on 'painkillers' since 2005 so no mystery really...
Why did you inverted comma the word painkillers?
There is no double-meaning to that word.
Painkillers are painkillers, very common in sport.
And if you were injured as much as Nadal and refused to use painkillers, you'd be a complete idiot.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
I love Rafa, but I think every average Joe deals with some sort of ailment and still functions, does his job duties, family and moral duties. Some people battle depression, some people battle debilitating diseases, some battle crushing emotional blows. But they still get up daily and try to function. And they don't get nearly as many perks a multimilionaire like Rafa gets.

Rafa is an inspiring sportsman, cause his ailments are always scrutinised, he is in the sporlight. And there are a lot of primadonnas in the sporlight. But almost everyone has their own problems to deal with.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts