Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When draws are discussed at MTF, the common theme is that posters compete in describing how tough draw their favorite has, and how much of a cakewalk the rivals have. This is not another thread about the RG draw 2020, though. However, some of the previous discussions on this topic made me wonder if we have good examples where a player got hurt by a cakewalk draw. To phrase the question explicitly: Is there an example of a slam draw where the favorite got a very easy draw to the final, but (somewhat surprisingly) played a really bad final and got crushed by an underdog that was much more battle-hardened.

I don't know, maybe there has never been an "undercooked draw from hell" in a slam. But if it has, what is the best example?

Edit: Just to be clear, in order not to derail the discussion. I don't expect Djokovic to suffer from being undercooked should he reach the RG final. Tsitsipas or Rublev will give him a run for the money in the semi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
probs the 2000 USO, sampras straight setted his way to the final and got beat handily by safin who needed to play multiple five setters on his way

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
Surely more true of Nadal than Djokovic, right? Nadal goes from playing no one ranked in the top SEVENTY to playing Thiem/Schwartzman.

Djokovic has somewhat-out-of-form Khachanov then PCB then Rublev/Tsitsipas then Nadal/Thiem. I think that's a reasonable ramping up, the big jump is obviously from Galan to Khachanov, but that's not a match I really see him losing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Surely more true of Nadal than Djokovic, right? Nadal goes from playing no one ranked in the top SEVENTY to playing Thiem/Schwartzman.

Djokovic has somewhat-out-of-form Khachanov then PCB then Rublev/Tsitsipas then Nadal/Thiem. I think that's a reasonable ramping up, the big jump is obviously from Galan to Khachanov, but that's not a match I really see him losing.
😂🤣🤣...... No jump at all...in fact it's a smooth transition from an inexperienced youngster to experienced one-dimensional ball-basher.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts