Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uncle Toni Interview: "Rafael's back is OK. I always tell him he's not good enough."

This is Toni Nadal's exclusive interview for L'Equipe 21 HD before Rafael Nadal's 3rd Round against Leonardo Mayer in Roland Garros 2014.

TONI NADAL TALKS ABOUT NOVAK DJOKOVIC, ROGER FEDERER, DIMITRI TURSUNOV AND ERNESTS GULBIS

0:00 to 6:46 : Toni talks about these players. He says that Djokovic is very hard to beat because he reaches every ball. With a little smile, he hopes that Tsonga beats him to make things easier for Rafa.

TONI NADAL TALKS ABOUT RAFAEL NADAL

7:12 to 7:39 : "Against Thiem, Nadal played aggressive, good forehand, very good backhand, very few unforced errors against a young talented player. For me it was a very good match."
7:50 to 8:22 : "Rafa's draw may be pretty good, you still have to beat players who are on a winning streak. To me, there's no easy match."
8:26 to 8:42 : "Mayer may have a single-handed backhand, he's a hard hitter. Rafael is the favourite but you still have to win those matches, you know it."
8:52 to 9:35 : "I'm not impressed by Rafael's success but surprised because we know where he comes from : injuries, etc."
9:39 to 9:47 : Tuslane : "61 Wins, 1 Loss in RG.". Toni : "Yes, but a very bad one. The worst one."
10:00 to 10:18 : Maylin : "How does Rafa manage to keep the will to win, since 4yo, keep this intensity on each ball ? He's a lovable guy in real life and when he enters a tennis court, he turns into a beast."
10:18 to 10:53 : Toni : "He has the will. It's hard for a normal player to win. For Rafael it's even harder because of his injuries. he has a good mentality."
10:54 to 11:03 : "Rafael's back is OK. Physically he is OK. If he were not OK I would say so."
11:15 to 11:40 : "It's true that Rafael was more nervous after his defeats, on clay especially. But he played well in RG so far. Time will tell."
11:48 to 12:12 : "When I saw Rafa play bad, it was hard for me because I wasn't used to seeing him play like that. But my coaching hasn't changed. Winning is always hard. Rafael is a normal player, he's not a star or an incredible player."
12:29 to 13:28 : "Whether Rafael plays great or not, I always tell him that he's not good enough. I rarely comfort him. I am severe because he's my nephew. Because I want him to get high. Because I know that it's good for him. I'm like that with my kids too. If I weren't like that, Rafael would probably not become the player he is today after all that happened to him. I'm not like this with other people."
13:42 to 14:50 : "Rafael has kept the same team because I dont cost him anything (smiling) but also because when he does something wrong it's his fault, not mine, and he knows it. He may want to change coach if he loses too much but one day he said to me "No need to hear another coach's advice. It's my own problem, not a coach problem !"".
14:56 to 15:30 : Maylin asks if Rafa's topspin is less powerful than before because Djokovic or Gilles Simon could control it in Rome. Toni says that he will answer that question when Rafa's career is over.
16:00 to 16:25 : Toni : "Rafa moved well against Thiem, but not the other days, especially in Monte-Carlo and Rome."
16:35 to 17:55 : "People think that Rafa works a lot, actually he doesn't practice for long periods of time but he does it with a lot of intensity. He practices as if he were in a real match."
18:10 to 19:36 : "What matters is not to be tired physically but mentally (...) I thank life that he's able to play again Roland Garros this year."
20:31 : "It's not normal that someone else carries Rafael's bag"
21:37 to 21:58 : Presenter : "You speak great French. So does Djokovic. Does Rafael tries to learn french ?". Toni : "Not a lot and to say the truth I think it's not normal because Majorquin looks like french, many words are similar."
21:59 to 22:04 : Tuslane : "But Rafa speaks english very well now !"
22:15 : Tuslane asks Toni if he watches female tennis. Toni : "I don't watch female tennis a lot. Only the best matches."

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Re: Toni Nadal Interview: "Rafael's back is OK. I always tell him he's not good enoug

GOAT bullying from Tio.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Re: Toni Nadal Interview: "Rafael's back is OK. I always tell him he's not good enoug

Nice guy this Phony

·
Registered
729 Posts

"I am severe because he's my nephew. Because I want him to get high. Because I know that it's good for him. I'm like that with my kids too. If I weren't like that, Rafael would probably not become the player he is today after all that happened to him. I'm not like this with other people."
Great influence.

This gif makes perfect sense to me now:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Too much brain power this uncle

·
Registered
904 Posts

Phoney Nadal :haha:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts

He'll need therapy for his lifetime.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts

At least he confirms there's nothing wrong with Nadal physically, so much for all the injury rumors being true

·
Registered
4,857 Posts

That quote, the one about Nadal getting high, I think its wrong. He says,"Je suis dure parse-que il est mon neveu - qui je dire avec mes enfants." Which translates to, "I am hard on him because he is my nephew - which I have to do with my kids." French speakers? Am I wrong on this? Either that or "niveau" which, IIRC, is level.

EDIT: NadalPower seems to have taken...certain liberties with the translation.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Re: Uncle Toni Interview: "Rafael's back is OK. I always tell him he's not good enoug

Dulltard defense of the cheating pig in absolute ruins :spit:

·
Registered
3,982 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Re: Uncle Toni Interview: "Rafael's back is OK. I always tell him he's not good enoug

Very humble and just a great human being.
Baahahaha :haha:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

, he hopes that Tsonga beats him to make things easier for Rafa.
:haha: how much easier can dull draw get

·
Registered
4,857 Posts

OK. Disregard the translation entirely. The OP of the video, not MTwEezi, fucked up the translation to high heaven.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Dull is going to need serious help once he is finished with his tennis career.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

I don't think he talked about Rafa's injuries enough /cue sarcasm.

guy still comes across as a cretin, still bitter about the Soderling defeat too - and maybe someone should tell him about Soderling's troubles and then ask him again does he think Rafa has it so bad with injuries.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,124 Posts

ReturnAce in ruins

1 - 20 of 105 Posts