Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
49,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
El Padrino finally breaks his silence on the ATP resumption as well as the Djokovic drama

"I spoke with Rafael, I think what ATP has done is ugly"
Toni Nadal gave an interview to ESPN Tenis in which he criticized the new ATP calendar and spoke about the Djokovic tournament: "It is a setback to normalize the circuit."

Toni Nadal gave an interview to ESPN to review the current world of tennis. Rafa Nadal's uncle and former coach spoke about the current situation of this sport, the latest controversies that have appeared in recent weeks.

'Tío Toni' was asked about Djokovic's Adria Tour, in which the Serb and Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki have tested positive for coronavirus. "It was a shame. It was a good initiative to make some movement in tennis I think it went well but the end has been a problem of coronavirus has not been good for either tennis or for Djokovic and players. In a situation of so much trouble and more if you are a number one like Djokovic ... it would have been better if they had all gone with a little more care in general. In Serbia the measures are not as strict as in other countries and they have acted like this "It is a mistake that anyone can make, Djokovic has already apologized for the mistake. It is a step backwards in the process of normalizing the circuit."

Toni Nadal also spoke about scoring on the ATP circuit
with the new calendar and believes it hurts many players by having so many tournaments together. "It seems good to me that there are many tournaments but they should do something with the score because in the end you play every week and it is difficult, it is difficult to play in one month US Open, Rome, Madrid and Paris and it is almost unfeasible.

In fact, Toni Nadal showed his discomfort with the new calendar as it hurts veteran tennis players such as Djokovic, Nadal or Federer (who will not play until 2021 after his knee operation). "I spoke to Rafael and he was hesitating. He told me what they had done with the calendar and it seems a little ugly to me what the ATP have done. It seems to me an unaffordable calendar for older people: for Djokovic, for Rafael, for Federer ... to play every week. A young tennis player can, but if you think about Djokovic, Rafael and Federer have helped tennis for many years. "

Spilling nothing but the true tea as usual this Tio

Looks like Nadal or Djokovic may have to choose either RG or USO, it is very tough to do both

·
justice for all
16,221 Posts
I don’t think he’s right in his critique. Is there any other way to have two more slams in 2020?
I don’t think moving USO earlier is feasible. With the epidemic situation in NYC even current timing is doubtful.
Pushing RG later isn’t an option either because of the weather conditions.
It is what it is. It’s a crazy year and everyone needs to survive it somehow. We fans would be lucky and should be thankful if we get to watch two more slams this year.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Tio always has Rafas back. About Novaxx what he said was normal. Didnt point the finger just at him. And of course it could be a setback.
About the ATP. It is and ungly scenario. But thats what we got. We have to deal with it. The players i mean.
There isnt mych time to make due to all tournaments.
Its not ideal but its what out there. The flipside is no tennis. And nobody wants that.
So be it if players choose 1 slam over another.
F%ck the ranking and f%ck points this year.
Tio should be happy RG and Rome are beeing played.

Lets take this one tournament at a time and lets hope Rafa is healthy.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you're going to critique this then you have to offer an alternative. What else could they do other than not hold tournaments?

Let's say the French Open was suddenly cancelled, would that receive the Rafa and Uncle Toni seal of approval? Would they come out and praise the now more sensible schedule? No, they wouldn't! Because they only ever speak and act in self-interest.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts

Looks like Nadal or Djokovic may have to choose either RG or USO, it is very tough to do both
Or play USO and Roland Garros and skip the rest, or maybe play one Masters 1000 and the 2 grand slams. Rafa has played AO (a hardcourt grand slam) and Wimbledon (a grass grand slam) without playing preparatory tune-ups ahead of AO and Wimbledon before. Now, he can do the same for USO (a hardcourt grand slam) and Roland Garros (a clay grand slam). In between, he can play a clay Masters 1000, if his body agrees, or go back to Mallorca to practice on clay before Roland Garros.

Agreed, the schedule changes are difficult and unprecedented, but we are also facing unprecedented times, that humans have not faced in 100 years. ATP tried to accommodate and salvage as many tournaments as they can in the limited time possible and earn some cash. Cash is important for the tour, the tournaments, and the cities to survive in this pandemic or they will go bankrupt. The tour is not just about older players like Federer, Rafa, and Djokovic, there are many young players and people (tournament staff, broadcast staff, media staff, etc.) that depend on the tour to make their living. The older players have earned their moneys from the tour and endorsements, and can always drop off tournaments that they don't want to play.

It is not the time to complain. It is time to look into creative problem-solving and play tennis.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Sounds like he's preparing the ground for Rafa to announce this week that he's skipping the USO.

Watch this space.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts

They would be as fresh for USO'20 as for AO'20, though, and much fresher than for the former Wimbledons which started just two weeks after RG finals and the tough clay masters beforehand, especially our Nadalito, no, if only they again granted him a proverbial USO cakewalk and then RG final vs dead tired SF winner Djok-Thiem after four consecutive days of play in QF/SF rubbers.

·
Your visions will happen
49,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They would be as fresh for USO'20 as for AO'20, though, and much fresher than for the former Wimbledons which started just two weeks after RG finals and the tough clay masters beforehand, especially our Nadalito, no, if only they again granted him a proverbial USO cakewalk and then RG final vs dead tired SF winner Djok-Thiem after four consecutive days of play in QF/SF rubbers.
Yes RG and Wimbledon were only 2 weeks apart for a long time. But that is a much shorter flight and time adjust than New York to Paris

I say play USO and see how far you go. If he plays only the slams so be it. If he loses early in USO he can play Madrid

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
If you're going to critique this then you have to offer an alternative. What else could they do other than not hold tournaments?

Let's say the French Open was suddenly cancelled, would that receive the Rafa and Uncle Toni seal of approval? Would they come out and praise the now more sensible schedule? No, they wouldn't! Because they only ever speak and act in self-interest.
Can‘t you read? His criticism is specific which allows you to tell what the suggestion is (not cramping everything in one month, perhaps 1.5)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Of course, this new calendar does not suit Nadal, it is impossible for him to defend all his titles (US Open, Rome and RG) and he won't be able to defend all his points (but how the ranking will be adapted in the next couple of months, this is another question). In the end, it is just another selfish position as top players only think to their interest and in the case all these tournaments will happen within a few weeks, Nadal will have to make choices, so he is unhappy, which I understand. But for other players, it is opportunity to play again, to earn money and for the tennis industry, it is important to start again to keep the business alive. We all knew there was never going to be an ideal situation to start again and we can not wait the vaccine to resume the tour.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Can‘t you read? His criticism is specific which allows you to tell what the suggestion is (not cramping everything in one month, perhaps 1.5)
Yeah, play the French Open in late October in Europe, when it's pissing down with rain every day! I can't see them getting any criticism for that! And then why not put Wimbledon on in November as well!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
Yeah, play the French Open in late October in Europe, when it's pissing down with rain every day! I can't see them getting any criticism for that! And then why not put Wimbledon on in November as well!
They could have played the French Open in July, you mug.

Do I need to spell out the simplest things for you, or are you proud of your ignorance?

·
justice for all
16,221 Posts
They could have played the French Open in July, you mug.

Do I need to spell out the simplest things for you, or are you proud of your ignorance?
But is it the ATP that moved RG to Sep/Oct or FFT?

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
But is it the ATP that moved RG to Sep/Oct or FFT?
They probably didnt propose to have it in July, otherwise that would be a simple solution, dont you think? Think, bre. Think

·
justice for all
16,221 Posts
They probably didnt propose to have it in July, otherwise that would be a simple solution, dont you think? Think, bre. Think
I think they (FFT, ATP, French gov, everyone) knew shit in April/ early May so they (FFT) decided to move it as far as possible in the calendar to maximize the probability of playing it. Not rocket science, mate.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I think they (FFT, ATP, French gov, everyone) knew shit in April/ early May so they (FFT) decided to move it as far as possible in the calendar to maximize the probability of playing it. Not rocket science, mate.
So this. The ATP is not responsible for USTA and FFT wanting to organise a grand slam in August/September.

Once again it shows the governing bodies have different interests and don't really care about working together.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Actually the easiest solution is to have all the rest of the majors including Grass held in different venues in Aus. where climate would b most conducive & all participants could base their training & travel there until the completion of them w/ Majors officials along w/ ATP & ITF assisting all qualifying competitors w/ a fair subsidy/stipend for living expenses & could decide in the interim whether to allow a certain amount of safe social distancing attendance. Obviously a big change from the norm but due to uncertainties in travel & spikes of virus affecting certain regions, would also b a big boost for the sport in an underrepresented region.

·
RAVE ON
19,392 Posts
If anyone bothered to look at the curves they would see that the USA is rivalling Brazil now in exponential rise. It is now worse than when the peak was reached back in April.
Would anyone sign up for a tournament in Brazil during the next two months?
The way things are going in the US, there will be so many travel restrictions that it will be impossible to hold the slams. And if they did go ahead, anyone that went to the US would not be allowed to travel to Europe afterwards.
I don’t think that the EU will treat the US on a state-by-state basis when they apply travel restrictions.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts