1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 games in 8 minutes

1. Camera adds weight (whoamikidding)
2. It is what it is
3. Don't hold up on your comments (likeanyonewouldlol)

Took the lead 3-0, as seen, lad came back 3all, hold for hold, then broke him when serving to stay at 4-5 - 6-4 Uncle.

That was a second round of the main tourney i play every Sunday.

Lost next round 6-0, to a guy i had 3-2 H2H this winter...we didn't need cleaning the lines, he did it by himself with his unfathomable luck. Deserved probably 2 of the 26 points he won...

He won the whole tourney after that though.

Anyways, that's a bit of my game, not my best, not my worst, as seen - solid serve and FH, not too shabby BH either (you can't tell from that vid) and main concern - carrying that belly (that looks much smaller off cam lol) around.

Working on it.

·
Registered
33,357 Posts
Great video. Solid novice level player, who would own the likes of Groove easily.

Btw do not worry about the weight side of things. Common myth that larger people can't have decent fitness. And there is nothing wrong in liking food and alcohol ;). Being similar size to you, gives me inspiration that I can reach similar level in Tennis. Though I do want to lose weight.

·
Registered
19,319 Posts
I think Groove would beat you

·
Bring it Home
20,495 Posts
Uncle. :worship:

Well, my comments:

1) Your forehand is really big. Your main weapon IMHO.
2) Return is weak and backhand is decent. Well, at least you hit, mostly amateur one-handed guys use the slice 95% of the times.
3) Serve is good, not great. Looked very readable. Your 2nd serve is surely above average among amateurs.

I don't know which strategy Groove would use against you, I'd try to grind you to death on your service games and be agressive on mine. But I'm used to play against a 1m95 lefty who serves big, I'm usually a good returner and chaser of balls, don't know about Groove, he looks to me more of a offensive baseliner.

You certainly hits way harder, but I think Groove would beat you due to better fitness and stamina.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Awesome inside-out forehand groundies man.. And the (attempted) s&v at 6:47 was a sight to behold.

Solid serve and decent footwork to boot

Reactions: Uncle Latso

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
4 no thesis

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Nice playing Uncle! You hit a nice ball :)

Reactions: Uncle Latso

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
Excellent uncle

dat belly though :eek:

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent uncle

dat belly though :eek:
:lol:

Thing is, i'm quite near my best shape (of a God...Buddha that is :lol: ) in the last 10 years. 124kg on the vid. Best ranking - 120kg last summer. Worst - 136.6 January 2013.

So, based on my personal weight fluctuations, i feel in decent form physically, i can play 4 one setters in one day (which i rate tougher than 4 sets in a row) and i'm not becoming pro anyway :D

I get a lot of - if you lose 10-15kg you'd kill us all - from mates at the tourney, but unfortunately it doesn't make your game better by the kilo.

That's also why i play almost exclusively singles, instead of doubles, where my strengths excel big time - to lose weight.

By October i should be 10kg less, so we'll see what's going on :D

And thanks :yeah:

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Uncle. :worship:

Well, my comments:

1) Your forehand is really big. Your main weapon IMHO.
2) Return is weak and backhand is decent. Well, at least you hit, mostly amateur one-handed guys use the slice 95% of the times.
3) Serve is good, not great. Looked very readable. Your 2nd serve is surely above average among amateurs.

I don't know which strategy Groove would use against you, I'd try to grind you to death on your service games and be agressive on mine. But I'm used to play against a 1m95 lefty who serves big, I'm usually a good returner and chaser of balls, don't know about Groove, he looks to me more of a offensive baseliner.

You certainly hits way harder, but I think Groove would beat you due to better fitness and stamina.
That's a fair assertion of my game actually.

Return is indeed a liability, but only from the BH side. BH is better than it looks at first sight, i usually am able to dictate and finish off points from this wing, also decent slice and drop shots overall.

Serve - correct, readable flat first (counts on speed mostly) and above average second - i'm kinda known for my kick serve, it's not a common asset among amateur players.

Abot the strategy for one to play against me - grinding me down has been everyone's strategy against me for years, coz it's also the first impression ppl get - he must be slow and get tired fast, ohbh - move him around, play on the Bh more, drop shots, etc.

But i get beaten mostly by guys who'd hit through me more than i would hit through them. Coz the grinding game i'm very used to and good at, coz i can accelerate from both wings, from anykind of slowish ball, even if deep.

The type of grinding that would have me beaten is what DartMarcus plays - good pace deep shots that would keep me moving and won't let me attack him, deep returns, etc.

But Johnny couldn't, the rallies against him would be 3-4 shots maximum all match long. I think.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
With all due respect, JG would not cope with my aggressive style imo.

I give you in 3 games the amount of winners he would produce in 2 sets and the amount of UEs he'd produce in one game.

2 FH winners, 1 BH winner, 1 volley, 1 ace + a few shots forcing errors, against 2 bad returns as UEs.

Not a bad w/ue ratio for 3 games.

About fitness and stamina - he'd beat me at 1 mile running contest no doubt, but my tennis stamina is OK. I played the same lad this winter and it was 7-6 6-3, he was the one getting tired, as retrieving all around is even more taxing.

Expecting Johnny himself to comment :)

·
Registered
42,421 Posts
:yeah: It's a lovely hobby, and looks like pretty nice courts in warm Bulgaria indeed. :D
May I ask how old you are, Latso?

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
yes, matchup wise looks tough for Groove

1 - 20 of 180 Posts