1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
It is a total disaster and a stain on the world's conscience. And no one does anything, no one cares. The US assists the Saudis. I hoped maybe the new administration will be different but it's the same old story. It is painfully obvious that the talk about human rights is very selective and political. Even coming from the US.

It's all about Iran and pr.oxy wars against them. Iran is a major foe of the US, so millions will continue to suffer in Yemen. Iranians are also fed up with their leaders who continue to spend money and export 'the revolution' all around while their life inside the country is getting worse. Only fear of collapse and chaos is keeping the Iranian theocracy alive. In my opinion, some great upheaval in Iran is eventually inevitable, this can't go on forever.

·
RAVE ON
18,474 Posts
I don’t even begin to understand all the factors that come together to cause the ongoing disaster in Yemen.

But I do know that when the UN says that the number of Yemenis IN DANGER of starving to death WOULD rise by 10 million, and Mintpress and abraxas claim that 10 million more ARE EXPECTED TO DIE by the end of the year, that is FAKE NEWS.
Critical,as the situation may be, let’s not rewrite the facts.

By the way, I read the UN report on the crisis. It states that the Houthis also bear some responsibility for the food shortages because they hinder aid groups,from distributing food. Mintpress seems to have ignored this section of the report.

(Meanwhile Colombia gives 440,000 refugees from Venezuela two years of residency so that they can study, work and get medical care. Venezuelans are fleeing food shortages in their country. Hardly worth a thread here, though.)

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
You talk about starvation on the other side of ur world when million of ppl on Venezuela are searching food from the trash thanks to ur beloved social revolutaion

Look at ur neighborhood starvation

I didn't see hola rush to help other countries but hey let's blame the west and the USA

Like Russia and China are fighting between them who will help first

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You talk about starvation on the other side of ur world when million of ppl on Venezuela are searching food from the trash thanks to ur beloved social revolutaion

I didn't see hola rush to help other countries but hey let's blame the west and the USA

What does Venezuela have to do with any of this? Where do you even get it's my "beloved social revolution"? I don't even like Maduro.

You keep making this blanket statement with no facts or substance to back them up. You have shown time and time again to have the argumentative IQ of a 10 year old so I probably shouldn't even mind to get back to you.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
What does Venezuela have to do with any of this? Where do you even get it's my "beloved social revolution"? I don't even like Maduro.

You keep making this blanket statement with no facts or substance to back them up. You have shown time and time again to have the argumentative IQ of a 10 year old so I probably shouldn't even mind to get back to you.
One of my friends has run from Venezuela bc it's not safe being there and u talk about millions starving in Yemen?

Theres million of ppl starving all over the world I dont see your country helping them or the countries around her

You just like to blame the west for everything

Must be jealousy

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of my friends has run from Venezuela bc it's not safe being there and u talk about millions starving in Yemen?

Theres million of ppl starving all over the world I dont see your country helping them or the countries around her

You just like to blame the west for everything

Must be jealousy
Okay :yeah:

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Any numbers on how many people have actually starved so far?

·
RAVE ON
18,474 Posts

Isn’t he just carrying on the Bolivarian Revolution started by Chavez? You adored Chavez. What changed?

BTW, nice video last week of the Venezuelan army rushing to the defence of their President.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts

Ugh, why must that be mentioned in THIS topic?

What about the tragedy happening here?

·
Registered
36,855 Posts

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isn’t he just carrying on the Bolivarian Revolution started by Chavez? You adored Chavez. What changed?

BTW, nice video last week of the Venezuelan army rushing to the defence of their President.
No. I know it might be hard for you to comprehend when you look at the world in Black and White terms but truth of the matter is that I never "adored" Chávez. In fact, I was quite critical of him on many regards, but I never fell for the BS descriptions common in the American media.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Okay first of all. If anyone is interested in talking about the conditions of Venezuela I recommend that they start a thread on the issue. This thread is not about that. This thread is about an extremely serious issue that is getting almost far too little attention in the western press.

It's all about Iran and pr.oxy wars against them. Iran is a major foe of the US, so millions will continue to suffer in Yemen. Iranians are also fed up with their leaders who continue to spend money and export 'the revolution' all around while their life inside the country is getting worse.
Secondly, just to be clear, this is not a war between the Saudis and Iranians. The Iranian aid to the Houthis is in fact very minor and only started after the Saudis had attacked. It is a war instigated by Saudi Arabia on Yemen and in particular, but not exclusively towards the Houthi community in North Western Yemen. In painting this as some sad but inevitable conflict between two great Islamic powers the truth of what this war is gets obfuscated. This is a few of the richest countries in the world together attacking a bordering nation that is one of the poorest in the world to try to control its internal affairs and try to assert control over the region.

The original conventional military attack by the Saudi Arabian army failed completely. Despite having absolute top of the line technology at their disposal the Saudis did not have the moral or capacity to drive into the Houthi region of northwestern Yemen. A huge embarrassment for what is ostensibly the worlds third most well funded army. After their failures in "normal" warfare they are trying something different. Essentially the Saudis are intentionally starving the Yemeni people which they have failed to subjugate.

How are they doing this? They have a blockaded all of the Northwestern Houthi controlled part of Yemen. Thus, not allowing any shipments of food or aid to come in by sea or by air. They have bombed all kinds of vital infrastructure in the area, such as the port in Hoddeidah, most of the hospitals etc. As Yemen is a country completely reliant on imported food the actions of the Saudis and their coalition has predictable consequences. If you take food away from a people they will start to starve. This is not some unfortunate accidental consequence of the war. This is a deliberate plan of action from the Saudis to subjugate a people they have been unable to defeat militarily. Many are starving to death, but even those who are able to survive will be permanently physically and mentally damaged after living for prolonged periods completely malnourished. As it stands the Yemenis are currently not only being starved to death but their capacity to resist or to act as a functioning society is being stunted for a generation forward.

Its not a situation on which you can commentate lightheartedly. For each day that goes back with the same status quo this situation begins more and more to look like a genocide. Perhaps in the future people will talk about Yemen in the same breath as the Irish potato famine.

One final point. This is not an exclusively Arab war. The Saudis could not do this without the approval of America, or without the direct participation by Britain and America in technical assistance, helping refuel planes, helping enforce the blockade etc etc. It looks like the UK and America have another one to add to their long list of atrocities they have helped orchestrate. A long line of other "civilized" nations, including my own, are also complicit in that we have sold materials to the Saudi-coalition that will help in the war effort.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The Saudis just expelled the Canadian ambassador and told 20,000 Saudis studying in Canada to go to other countries.
Not like that is exactly a sign of anything other than the level of Saudi hubris. Trudeau happily has been selling to the Saudis much in the same way that most Canadian governments probably have. All this Saudi anger came from one measly pro-activist tweet by the Canadian ambassador.

I think the only way that western countries will start to disentangle from their close alliance with the Saudi royal family is if the electorate starts to demand it loudly.

Any numbers on how many people have actually starved so far?
No numbers. As you can imagine its a war zone there are little journalists allowed in and out by the different entities. For almost 2 years the numbers of dead for the entire conflict was frozen at a nice round 10000. There is simply no practical way to count the casualties so the media kept reporting the same numbers again and again as if no one had been killed at all.

Now tracking who actually dies from the famine is incredibly difficult. Disease and famine are closely intertwined, as is the lack of medical care due to hospitals being blown up and aid not being let in. Unfortunately there is no way to give an accurate answer. I dont want to throw out any baseless numbers but rest assured the situation is quite serious.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts