Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, can you help me with umpire gestures used on clay? There are two: first one is that umpire points his finger up and second is harder to explain-his hand is lower and all his fingers are straight. So logically I always thought when he do the finger-up gesture it means overrule and when he do the second gesture it means that ball stands. But according to what always commenatators say I found out that it is probably quite the opposite. Can you explain me how it works? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hello, can you help me with umpire gestures used on clay? There are two: first one is that umpire points his finger up and second is harder to explain-his hand is lower and all his fingers are straight. So logically I always thought when he do the finger-up gesture it means overrule and when he do the second gesture it means that ball stands. But according to what commenatators says always I found out that it is probably quite the opposite. Can you explain me how it works? Thanks.
Finger up = ball was out
Flat hand = ball was in

Those gestures are universal tennis gestures, not only on clay.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
You are that green in tennis?!?
Finger up means the ball was out, palm down means the ball was in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it works as out/in gestures? I thought it works as overrule/stand gestures! Thanks.

Reactions: Khronos

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are that green in tennis?!?
Finger up means the ball was out, palm down means the ball was in.
Watching tennis since 2009, make your decision if green or not. Also I don't like clay tennis and I'm not hardcore tennis fan-I'm watching other sports too so I can't watch every tennis match.

Reactions: Trollin Stone

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
To be fair umpires tend to use the hand gestures more on clay where there is no Hawkeye and more overrules happen. Plus the cameras focus on the umpire getting down from the chair to check the mark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts