Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Umag Reports & Pictures (+DC Slo-Mor Pics) -- Ferrer-Montanes pics uploaded!Post #19

I was in Umag for 3 days, I went straight from Portoroz, where the Davis cup (Slovenia-Morocco) was played, to Umag.

So, on Saturday, I came to Portoroz, but I didn't watch any matches.On Sunday I watched both singles matches, and it was really boring, even if El Aynaoui played.Nobody played really great on that day.Then, I went to Umag, and it's great there.All that happens in the Stella Maris center...the pancake stall, all the nightclubs, the restaurants,...

Monday

Mostly, I didn't watch on the Stadium court, because I rather go around from court 1 to Grandstand and to practice courts with friends and just talk and watch the matches without having to spend most of my time on the Stadium court.But the first day I went to the stadium court, after the Berlocq-Gonzalez match on the Grandstand court.

Berlocq-Gonzalez 63 64

Berlocq is playing very solid, big swings, great 1 handed backhand, a medium amount of power.Gonzalez didn't play very good at the start, got better as the match progressed.But a typical spanish game from Gonzalez, getting a lot of balls back, running and being consistent.But Berlocq's complete & attackive game got him the match.Also, people didn't know the two players very well, so they didn't knew who to cheer for, so I saw a couple of people who were really loud at the stands, cheering for Berlocq and then for Gonzalez, loudly :D

Djokovic-Andujar 61 63

Well, Djokovic played a good match against Andujar.You could really see who's the first seed and who isn't.Andujar didn't really do anything extra impressive, losing first 9 points in the match.People started shouting "Make a double and give him a point Nole" and things like that.But all the people cheered for Djokovic, really, he was the most popular in Umag.It was just a routine win, some good points from Andujar too, but Djokovic was too good.Still don't know how could he lose 2nd round.

Davidenko-Simon 26 62 36

Simon really played unbelievebly well.He almost couldn't miss a ball, waited for the right oportunity and smashed the ball hard at that time.His forehand really worked for him, I kinda felt Davydenko won't be able to win.Davydenko didn't play the best that he can off course, but not the worst either.There were a lot of long rallies in this match, and I remember the game where Simon broke Davydenko's serve, when the game lasted about 15 minutes, there were about 10 deuces. :eek: (I wanted to go out from the stadium court that time just to get some things to eat and drink for us.) :mad: I wanted to go and see Ramirez Hidalgo-Gaudio after, but there was no time.

Trainings:

I watched Ramirez Hidalgo practice with his sparring partner, I thought he isn't in the best form with his groundstrokes, but saw some really good shots from him.

Novak Djokovic practiced with his brother, with whom he played doubles together.

Tuesday

Roger-Vasselin vs. Acasuso 26 06 :eek: :confused:

I haven't seen Roger-Vasselin played before.For the first time I saw him play, I didn't think he played a good match.He played very badly actually.Maybe it just wasn't his day.Not that his shots were going out and into the net, but they didn't have much pace.Maybe he was just tired of the weather, which was really awful.Acasuso played a good match, he served well, his serve is interesting though.He doesn't even jump when he's serving, because he's that tall.He has good groundstrokes, and mostly he doesn't hit a lot of balls into the net or out.The match was another routine one, no tension, just every once in a while a good point, but otherwise not a good match.Roger-Vasselin didn't seem very frustrated though.I left the match after the first set, it was only going worse for Roger-Vasselin though.

Albert Montanes vs. David Ferrer 26 26

At the start, I thought Montanes could have an upset here.As I thought, Montanes played a good match, hitting his shots deep into the court, and you could see some experiences, as the match was a really quality one with full of awesome rallies.Montanes stayed very calm through the match, even when he was losing.But Ferrer was just a class better, he ran a lot of balls down, there were a lot of dropshots from Montanes, and Ferrer just ran everything down.Earlier in the day, he was having an exhibition match with Canas on an outside court and everybody were watching :D

Victor Hanescu - Janko Tipsarevic 20 ret

It didn't seem Tipsarevic was injured at the start, but when Hanescu broke to 15 or something like that, it started to get a little strange.Then Tipsarevic just went to the net, as did Hanescu, who reacted quite normal & fast, they shook hands and the match was over.One of the full matches I watched was right here. :lol: 10 minutes after they ended, it started to rain, then it was raining for about 15 minutes quite heavily, and then it ended :p

Viktor Troicki - Predrag Rusevski 63 16 64

The match was moved from court 5 to court 1 after the rain, because they could only arrange 3 courts after the rain.That was the easiest way to start as early as they could.We were walking past court 5 before, and as I didn't know the two of them, I thought this is an amateur match, because every 2nd shot went out from both of them.My friend kept tellin me that it was a real match.It seemed strange because there were line judges & everything, so I was about to believe him. :p I watched the match after the rain, and it was a whole different one.Troicki was serving really good, and the break of Troicki at 44 was crucial.Rusevski had his chances in the next game, having a BP, but couldn't convert.A fun match.

Montcourt/Vasselin - Djokovic/Djokovic 75 61

I watched 4 games of this match.All the games were won by Djokovic/Djokovic until then.It was obviously a big pressure for the younger brother, playing doubles with someone ranked #3 in the world.You could see that, he missed a smash one time, and then Novak Djokovic was running backwards to get it - he did, but all the people laughed.I thought Djokovic/Djokovic will win something like 61 61, and next day I came to the center, and I see Djokovic/Djokovic - Montcourt/Vasselin 57 16.I thought it was something to do with the younger Djokovic not being used to playing matches on the ATP tour and 40 lead was probably just too much to handle for him :shrug: But he played good, so no worries :D

Trainings

Davydenko was practicing volleys pretty much when I got to the practice court.

Ljubicic was training with a younger player, don't know who.A lot of people watched him, it seemed he was annoyed.

Wednesday

I only watched 2 doubles matches for a while and then went back home.All though I just sat there at the practice courts and talked.Gaudio was playing points against someone I didn't know.Probably training partner.He played some good points, but played more for fun, as he didn't play the best he can.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Umag Reports & Pictures (+DC Slo-Mor Photos)

Davis cup pics (1.3 pixel mobile phone)

Grega Zemlja:

Younes El Aynaoui:

·
Registered
490 Posts

great stuff mate :yeah:

thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

^^ No, didn't seem injured to me.Maybe because of the conditions, it was really weird that day...

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts

^^ No, didn't seem injured to me.Maybe because of the conditions, it was really weird that day...
OK :confused: Maybe he really struggles with heat. He lost 2-6 2-6 in a Challenger the week before and then pulled out of doubles, so I am a bit worried :sad:

·
yawn
10,517 Posts

OK :confused: Maybe he really struggles with heat. He lost 2-6 2-6 in a Challenger the week before and then pulled out of doubles, so I am a bit worried :sad:
I watched a couple of matches and almost every player seemed to suffer from the heat. Was it that hot over there?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I watched a couple of matches and almost every player seemed to suffer from the heat. Was it that hot over there?
It wasn't the heat, maybe more the weather changing and it was really annoying.Even for me.

Or maybe it was an injury, but he didn't act like he would be injured :shrug:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Djokovic training with his brother & Davydenko training volleys

·
In hiding.
19,116 Posts

How come you didn't enjoy the great Rabie Chaki in action in Portorož? :worship:

·
Registered
11,484 Posts

Thank you.. great to have first-hand accounts of the matches! :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

How come you didn't enjoy the great Rabie Chaki in action in Portorož? :worship:
I did watch.My mobile phone went out of battery.Gregorc should win, anyway.He choked :mad: :lol:

Blaz Kavcic should have play instead Gregorc... :D

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Re: Umag Reports & Pictures (+DC Slo-Mor Pics) --

I enjoyed this place for couple of days too :)

The stadium, pretty unique...

That is me on the Grandstand (like court No.1 after the stadium) :wavey: So open and peacefull, I could have picnic there.

Love these nearby apartments :cool:

That was one nice vacation :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts