Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:worship: Too smart on court to lose to Zverev.

5/7 BP saved. I think 4 were drop shot winners :lol: including 3 when serving for the first set. Very clutch performance, which he needs as he defends lots of points the next couple weeks.

·
10,272 Posts
:worship: Too smart on court to lose to Zverev.

5/7 BP saved. I think 4 were drop shot winners :lol: including 3 when serving for the first set. Very clutch performance, which he needs as he defends lots of points the next couple weeks.
Zverev's 10ft behind the baseline play exposed.

Makes me want to throw up when a player stands THAT FAR BEHIND THE BASELINE

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
:spit: unreal. back to real life or just a bad day?

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Good that Sascha had to play these expierenced Clay Courters. So he can see what he has to do Etter and that is to play a Little closer to the Baseline.

Now get some Rest. :)

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I'm not really a Montanes fan but he is a crafty claycourter who knows how to make life difficult for his opponent. He moved Zverev around the court well, varying the pace and spin nicely. As emotion said, he hurt Zverev with a lot of dropshots which is a good play against a guy who stands so far behind the baseline.

For Zverev, it was back to reality with a bump. He had a great week in Hamburg but it was possibly a mistake playing here. I'm sure he wanted to make the most of his hot streak but I think he would have benefited more from a week off. It was impressive for a 17 year old to have the belief to close out those matches last week but I still haven't seen anything in his game that blows me away. He's still young though so that may change.

·
Registered
86,336 Posts
Sascha has to move closer to the baseline and he has to get used to the constant mental pressure at that level. He will achieve the latter, I am sure of that. To learn the first will take some practice hours on the court, but this is also possible and also needed.

·
Registered
97,199 Posts
not surprised at all :)

these Hamburg wins were all very lucky (to say at the very least). Maybe that looked good on paper, but I actually bothered to watch and despite I'm normally a very sensible person when it comes to these things, I had serious concerns regarding motivation efforts from Zverev's opponents (apart from Ferrer obviously, who's too serious of a player)

very curious how Zverev will continue performing

i think, all in all, whatever happened there in Hamburg, it should boost his confidence and he could be handling some challenger level mugs, which is still great for the 17 yo of today.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Good experience for Alex. He has plenty of time ahead of him to try and fix the faults in his game.
Time to have a little rest, and probably get back on the Challenger circuit for a while.
Does anybody know if he plans to play qualifying at the US Open?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
not surprised at all :)

these Hamburg wins were all very lucky (to say at the very least). Maybe that looked good on paper, but I actually bothered to watch and despite I'm normally a very sensible person when it comes to these things, I had serious concerns regarding motivation efforts from Zverev's opponents (apart from Ferrer obviously, who's too serious of a player)

very curious how Zverev will continue performing

i think, all in all, whatever happened there in Hamburg, it should boost his confidence and he could be handling some challenger level mugs, which is still great for the 17 yo of today.
We agree on that ;)

Let's see how he's going to finish the year, but I don't expect a breakthrough before some months

·
Registered
431 Posts
Shaky start from Monty, he really established himself with that body shot at 1-2.

We shouldn't expect miracles from Zverev outside of Germany in the nearest future.
He might get a good win every now and then, but he won't repeat his recent runs anytime soon

·
23,063 Posts
Seems like an OK scoreline though getting 8 games. He seemed to have burned out during that match against Ferrer (missing everywhere when the past matches have been quite solid), so I guess making it quite competitive is still a good result. Time to train to improve fitness and maybe have a good rest to get back to challengers or qualies to build up on his Hamburg performance. Interesting that he could play Qualies on US Open now I think.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Seems like an OK scoreline though getting 8 games. He seemed to have burned out during that match against Ferrer (missing everywhere when the past matches have been quite solid), so I guess making it quite competitive is still a good result. Time to train to improve fitness and maybe have a good rest to get back to challengers or qualies to build up on his Hamburg performance. Interesting that he could play Qualies on US Open now I think.
Off-course he could.
He is around #160 spot, while it's enough to be around #230 to play. Direct entry is first 108 I think.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts