Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
57,781 Posts
Can you imagine the ATP/Grand Slams being played in this format?
Would this adapt well to slow conditions, even WTA?

Honestly congrats to Mouratoglou. I'm positively surprised with all the show, happy to pay the monthly subscription and I will renew if this keeps going. I'm in line with most opinions here, the nicknames are a bit too much (though i'm already used to those, and the sudden death needs to go, we need a tiebreak, even if it's just to 5.
I'm also not sure about they playing the 4th quarter when it's 3-0 already, I know it can count in an eventual tie,but on the other hand it's boring to watch sports when the winner is already settled.

But the format is exciting and... the production, all the commentaries, interviews, player profile, this is how ATP should be.
Completely agreed with your comment and the one after. This event has been a gold standard for how to return sport during Corona with real precautions and I appreciate the innovations. I don't want quarters to totally replace sets but I like it as a change up. I like the allowing racquet/ball abuse, like the interviews between set and hearing the coaching. Like the 15 seconds between points. Cards are fun but too gimmicky if this is to be long term. Like everyone else, the big loser is sudden death. That format has gotta change- even win by 2 would be way better than just win 2 straight.

·
Your visions will happen
47,301 Posts
Interesting on hearing your thoughts on the camera angle used in this week's UTS. It makes the game look more intense and dynamic, it's revolutionary in some way, just like many other things in this tournament. but on the other hand focus little on the further player, it seems more focused on the closer player only, and great points might not be so clear to watch.
For many many years I've always loved a lower camera angle to really let us in on what the players see. The traditional overhead angle does not really give a feel to the athleticism being displayed.

Can you imagine the ATP/Grand Slams being played in this format?
Would this adapt well to slow conditions, even WTA?

Honestly congrats to Mouratoglou. I'm positively surprised with all the show, happy to pay the monthly subscription and I will renew if this keeps going. I'm in line with most opinions here, the nicknames are a bit too much (though i'm already used to those, and the sudden death needs to go, we need a tiebreak, even if it's just to 5.
I'm also not sure about they playing the 4th quarter when it's 3-0 already, I know it can count in an eventual tie,but on the other hand it's boring to watch sports when the winner is already settled.

But the format is exciting and... the production, all the commentaries, interviews, player profile, this is how ATP should be.
Nicknames are trash, sudden death replaced by TB, cards are a gimmick and need to go as well, but I liked the quarters part of it, it was fun

And contrary to Novax tour, they have been taking all the measures to protect the players: regular testing, regular desinfection of the venues, social distancing, no crowd, no hug after the match, no party
No dancing shirtless in a Belgrade club until 5 AM?

Completely agreed with your comment and the one after. This event has been a gold standard for how to return sport during Corona with real precautions and I appreciate the innovations. I don't want quarters to totally replace sets but I like it as a change up. I like the allowing racquet/ball abuse, like the interviews between set and hearing the coaching. Like the 15 seconds between points. Cards are fun but too gimmicky if this is to be long term. Like everyone else, the big loser is sudden death. That format has gotta change- even win by 2 would be way better than just win 2 straight.
Mourataglou has put on a fine event, much safer than the Novax CoronaTour even if the latter was more fun

Biggest story for me is the level of Dom Thiem. For him to win Adria on clay last weekend and then UTS vs Tsitsipas tonight, he is playing very well. Only Gasquet peaking in home country was able to get a victory

Hopefully ATP and ITF watching closely to these exhibitions

·
Registered
357 Posts
Biggest story for me is the level of Dom Thiem. For him to win Adria on clay last weekend and then UTS vs Tsitsipas tonight, he is playing very well. Only Gasquet peaking in home country was able to get a victory

Hopefully ATP and ITF watching closely to these exhibitions
The match between Thiem and Tsitsipas was intense. Thiem in ways looked physically better than his last two big hard court finals. The format features were pretty cool in this environment as well. I'd not really like much of it until this match. The coach timeouts were timely and important. Fascinating stuff.

Gasquet matches well with Thiem on hard courts and is still a great player. The only thing hurting him right now is the back which tends to sap him after a few matches and Thiem in normal format would be pretty brutal for him given this. Gasquet played Thiem like a fiddle.

·
Registered
357 Posts
After having watched a bit more of this, I've concluded that I quite like the 4 quarters...and that's about it.

The cards are too much of a gimmick but might have some potential, the nicknames are a joke, but sudden death might be the worst thing about it. 2 consecutive points? Come on, that's just ridiculous. A tiebreak or at least a mini sort of tiebreak would be more entertaining.
The sudden death is way too sudden. Just do a regular breaker and maybe superbreaker at end of match. Yeah it makes it longer, but still riveting so don't touch!

·
justice for all
13,392 Posts
The match between Thiem and Tsitsipas was intense. Thiem in ways looked physically better than his last two big hard court finals. The format features were pretty cool in this environment as well. I'd not really like much of it until this match. The coach timeouts were timely and important. Fascinating stuff.

Gasquet matches well with Thiem on hard courts and is still a great player. The only thing hurting him right now is the back which tends to sap him after a few matches and Thiem in normal format would be pretty brutal for him given this. Gasquet played Thiem like a fiddle.
Good summary, Meles. Why don't you come and visit MTF more often, buddy?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Have they implemented lootboxes yet?

·
Registered
57,781 Posts
Paire has about 10 million double faults.

Popyrin has played the -1 serve card for 4 points, and Paire missed his single serve 3/4 times.

·
Registered
57,781 Posts
Damn it I've always said that if Tsitsipas and Lopez ever played I'd bet the house on Lopez, because of Tsitisipas's total inability to return lefty sliders and slice serves. But I forgot to do so (the cat is missing, and we've been looking) and now he's up 2 sets.

·
Registered
57,781 Posts
lol glad I didn't (though tbh would prob have taken the over, not outright), Lopez chokes the shit out of it, loses from 2 sets and MP up

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Tsitsi - Lopez was the only match I wasn't able to watch today, but I might still rock the VODs.
Thiem rocking the fast courts! Very impressed by him, getting more and more a multi-surface player! Hope to see him win a slam ASAP!

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Great second quarter between Thiem and Berrettini, the winners*3 card did wonders for Thiem.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
i really dont understand the point in thiem competing here. he didnt compete week one. he competes weeks 2 and 3 but wont compete again. if you arent going to be present for all of it why bother. his wins kind of screw up the standings for the guys intending to compete all the way through

61 - 80 of 94 Posts