Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Schedule: each Saturday/Sunday for 5 weeks starting June 13/14
Surface: hard
Players: Thiem, Tsitsipas, Berrettini, Goffin, Auger-Aliassime, Paire, Gasquet, Pouille, Popyrin, Brown.
Prize money: TBA (match winner gets 70%, loser 30%)
Broadcast: Eurosport and Eurosport Player or subscription on the event's website (12 euro)

RULES:
45 round robin matches. Top 2 players advance to semifinals, #3-6 play quarterfinals.
Each match consists of four 12-minute quarters, with change of ends after each quarter. Mid-play timeouts allowed. And then there's some 'UTS cards' thing — don't quite understand how it works. The one who amasses most points wins. Crazy behavior is encouraged.

Mouratoglou promised something extra and he really outdid himself.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From Eurosport UK press release:

"The brainchild of respected coach Patrick Mouratoglou, the Ultimate Tennis Showdown will seek to revolutionise tennis through a series of innovations, such as the option of coaching time outs and mic’d up coaches, to engage new audiences. Hosted at the Patrick Mouratoglou Academy in the south of France, a string of top players have signed up to take part including Stefanos Tsitsipas, Dominic Thiem (week two), Alexei Popyrin, Matteo Berrettini, David Goffin and Felix Auger-Aliassime. Matches will last no longer than one hour, divided into 12 minute quarters with a two minute break at each change over. Eurosport will screen the Ultimate Tennis Showdown on a pan-Euro basis (excluding Eurosport Player)."

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
Thiem is playing in pretty every single exhibition event there is to be played in the next month. He's down for like 5

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
"the Ultimate Tennis Showdown will seek to revolutionise tennis through a series of innovations, such as the option of coaching time outs and mic’d up coaches, to engage new audiences.
Read:

"We think people are becoming dumber and intend to pander to their diminished attention spans and reality-TV-shaped expectations."

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think someday Mouratoglou will be the head of the ATP and ITF and run the sport. His ambition can't be stopped.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
I got to say, these rules sound really stupid. Like basketball in a way. I wont be watching. I miss david but I want to watch tennis not a circus.

Also, I can see why tsitsipas gets along so well with this guy. Very similar people

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thiem will miss the first weekend of UTS due to playing another exho... Djokovic's Adria Tour.
He'll start UTS the second weekend with a 0-0 record. Elliot Benchetrit replaces him for June 13 and 14 matches.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Today s schedule :

16h Pouille - Benchetrit (waiting Thiem to join next week end) - smooth start for Pouille
17h15 Brown-Paire - get the nerves out!
18h30 Goffin-Berretini - Nice watch to watch on paper
21h Lopez-Popyrin - 18y of difference!
22h15 Gasquet- Tsitsipas - the masterpiece if Gasquet can be at level!

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Cancelled rain :

·
Registered
59,336 Posts
I'm watching and it seems more intense in some ways than Adria, but a bit too gimmicky- the quarters are alright, but the IPTL style power-up things are pretty forced.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Nice entertaining.
use of 1 serve less or double serve is making more challenge

Reactions: enlightenedth

·
Registered
59,336 Posts
Lopez playing better than I've seen in a while in singles off of grass

·
Registered