Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are four players that come to mind:

Golubev vs Blake, Korolev vs Gabashvili , or any cobmination of these four.

They should have their own ballbashing competition toward the end of the season.

The floor is yours.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
don't agree at all on Andrey Golubev being in the list match-ups

·
Banned
22,409 Posts
donskoy looks like the future

has everything that you need, big shots on both sides, and most important, no brain

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Golubevs in a league of his own. The guy isn't a ballbasher, he's a ballrapist.

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
korolev is a deranged ball rapist if it has to come to that......

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Del Potro vs Berdych

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
It's pretty amazing how the Russians on both tours, for the most part, all have that same stand and trade robotic style of play.

I also agree with Kudry v Tursunov. Kudry is more of a basher than Gaba and even Blake is.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Golubev v Brown.

Neither are purely basher, but when both go into bash-mode, it's a sight to see.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
It's pretty amazing how the Russians on both tours, for the most part, all have that same stand and trade robotic style of play.
Actually it's not that amazing, Russians are really closer to Asians than to Europeans despite their European looks. When I lived in Japan one of the favorite sayings I heard was "A nail that sticks up must be hammered down". I really feel the spirit of the saying applies to most Eastern European countries. Imagination is discouraged. Conformation to norms of the society is encouraged. This obviously carries over to sports, including tennis. "Textbook" tennis is taught with no room for imagination or flair. The classic example is Dementiva of the WTA tour (now retired). Amazing shot maker, but utterly robotic and with no plan B on court.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Golubev v Brown.

Neither are purely basher, but when both go into bash-mode, it's a sight to see.
Yeah, some players revert to bash mode. I've even seen Gimeno-Traver and Giraldo go into bash mode. Others, like Gaba, Chardy, Tursunov, and Gulbis are stuck in bash mode. The Tursunov vs Gulbis 2011 Wimbledon match had some good ball bashing.

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
Actually it's not that amazing, Russians are really closer to Asians than to Europeans despite their European looks. When I lived in Japan one of the favorite sayings I heard was "A nail that sticks up must be hammered down". I really feel the spirit of the saying applies to most Eastern European countries. Imagination is discouraged. Conformation to norms of the society is encouraged. This obviously carries over to sports, including tennis. "Textbook" tennis is taught with no room for imagination or flair. The classic example is Dementiva of the WTA tour (now retired). Amazing shot maker, but utterly robotic and with no plan B on court.
what a bizarre post.

"utterly robotic with no plan b"? hardly the preserve of russians. sounds like your beloved spanish moonballer.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
what a bizarre post.

"utterly robotic with no plan b"? hardly the preserve of russians. sounds like your beloved spanish moonballer.
I wish people would honestly shut the fuck up already. You honestly sound like a fucking parrot repeating what some morons have been repeating for so long you can't help but type it again.

Nadal is not a moonballer, you don't win 10 slams by moonballing.

Now shut the fuck up.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I wish people would honestly shut the fuck up already. You honestly sound like a fucking parrot repeating what some morons have been repeating for so long you can't help but type it again.

Nadal is not a moonballer, you don't win 10 slams by moonballing.

Now shut the fuck up.
Well I can see why you're upset, as people are trying to discredit you're favorite player, but Nadal is a moonballer. The guy hits with more topspin and net clearance than anyone on the ATP. That being said, it is his strategy for winning matches, just like a ballbashers strategy to hit the shit out of the ball with no margin, on every shot.

I wouldn't say Nadal is untalented because he hits the moonball. Holding a racquet with that grip and using such a swing isn't for everyone. Nevertheless, Nadal hits many "moonball" shots in every one of hit matches and I don't see how that's arguable.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Nadal vs santoro

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Well I can see why you're upset, as people are trying to discredit you're favorite player, but Nadal is a moonballer. The guy hits with more topspin and net clearance than anyone on the ATP. That being said, it is his strategy for winning matches, just like a ballbashers strategy to hit the shit out of the ball with no margin, on every shot.

I wouldn't say Nadal is untalented because he hits the moonball. Holding a racquet with that grip and using such a swing isn't for everyone. Nevertheless, Nadal hits many "moonball" shots in every one of hit matches and I don't see how that's arguable.
You don't know what a moonball is. Extreme topspin is not moonball. The only legit moonballer is WTA Wozniacki. Moonballs are paceless, defensive, high balls which are only meant to clear the net. Nadal's shots push you off the baseline, destroy your backhand and create impossible angles and he constructs points better than anyone.

Fact is, haters are so dumb they immediatly claim "Nadal is a moonballer" without any understanding about how tennis works simply because a well-known banned moron on this forum perpetuated this idea. If you were on the recieving end of Nadal's "moonballs" the racquet would go flying out of your hands.

Once again: you do not win 10 slams by mooballing. You do not even make top 1000 in ATP by moonballing. Whoever says Nadal is a moonballer is a moron of the highest order. That is a fact.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts